Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder it's better for Tesla to keep separate firmware branches for different hardware sets instead of lumping everything to the main branch to reduce the complexity.
As someone who hates complexity, I dream of a single branch (AKA no branches). Tesla could release slowly to check for bugs. That's how I did it back in my software-development days.

That would make life simpler here on the forum, but most drivers wouldn't even notice.

Would it work from Tesla's point of view? They release v13.0 to a select few. They find a bug and release 13.1 to that same group plus a few more. If there are no showstopper problems, everyone gets V13.1. And so on.

I guess there's a substantial benefit to Tesla of having the current, more complicated system.

Reactions: sleepydoc
My 2019 Model S Long Range has FSD V12.3.6 installed by 2024.3.25. Visited Morro Bay for a few days and returned to Solvang yesterday afternoon. FSD disappointed me again. The good was improved steering and braking on Highway 101. The bad was FSD ignored speed limits and refused to slow using manual FSD controls. I had to disengage FSD to reduce speed.
Lane changes often were unsafe and were not reliable. FSD does not consistently respond to using turn signal to initiate a lane change even when there was no traffic nearby.
FSD does not reliably respond to traffic merging from another lane. FSD acted unsafely in response to a fast-moving 18-wheel truck merging from the entry lane at the Highway 154 junction yesterday at 3PM. FSD, which was set to "Chill", was trying to force the truck off the road instead of just slowing down. Just before I cancelled it, FSD decided to change lanes to give the truck room to merge. I was not going to risk there being a car in that lane because FSD does not reliably detect vehicles that are next to me.
I regret to say that I find that FSD is still not reliable and safe.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: GSP and STUtoday
Interesting, have 3 Ts
Two went through the trial then went from 3.26 to 14.8
The third is in rhe subscription, feel in the test group as this T is sitting at 3.25, waiting
Waiting for the test group to goto 2024.20.X and 12.4
Maybe

Interesting, have 3 Ts
Two went through the trial then went from 3.26 to 14.8
The third is in rhe subscription, feel in the test group as this T is sitting at 3.25, waiting
Waiting for the test group to goto 2024.20.X and 12.4
Maybe
Nobody above 2024.3.25 will move to V12.4 until all of those people on 2024.9.5 have then moved to the .14 branch. Anyone currently on the .14 branch is stuck like Chuck for a while.

Reactions: LSDTester#1
Model Y With HW3 - steering wheel is definitely not visible. When I checked with me sitting in the driver seat, you could get an idea that my hands were on the wheel if I were holding the top. If I were holding the bottom half it was indistinguishable between holding the wheel and having my hands in my lap.

View attachment 1052618
Move your wheel further out from the column, and for God sakes switch to Fahrenheit!!

It seems that only @aronth5 and @Daniel in SD think that we’ll be getting Level 3. And maybe @JulienW ? @Daniel in SD is really placing all his hopes in the Robotaxi Retrofit Reveal on 8/8. There are 8 letters after R in the alphabet; this is a significant fact many miss.

Anyway it’s great to dream. But best not to, to avoid disappointment.

if 12.4 has started going out and things around here have gotten…weird. Carry on.
Cognitive dissonance can be destabilizing and result in decompensation.

• Funny
Reactions: edseloh and rlsd
And 110 baud was derived from the printing speed of mechanical teletypes which were adapted for use as computer terminals.
I had one of those teletypes in m college dorm room, 1977, connected to my IMSAI 8080. Loud, heavy, and about the most rock-solid, reliable piece of mechanical equipment ever designed!

It seems that only @aronth5 and @Daniel in SD think that we’ll be getting Level 3. And maybe @JulienW ? @Daniel in SD is really placing all his hopes in the Robotaxi Retrofit Reveal on 8/8. There are 8 letters after R in the alphabet; this is a significant fact many miss.

Add me to the "Dream Team"... level 3 current hardware. Levels 4 and 5 with headlight or windshield looking left or right or both, cameras. Either retrofitted or on new models.

Add me to the "Dream Team"... level 3 current hardware. Levels 4 and 5 with headlight or windshield looking left or right or both, cameras. Either retrofitted or on new models.
It’s not happening (level 3 current hardware). Of course, no one can deny you your dreams, no matter how much they may try to tear them apart.

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1

We no longer have access to the beta version of FSD so there's really no way to know Tesla's progress. FSD beta could be close to robotaxi by now.

I had one of those teletypes in m college dorm room, 1977, connected to my IMSAI 8080. Loud, heavy, and about the most rock-solid, reliable piece of mechanical equipment ever designed!
We had one in the computer room at my college around 1978, hooked up to a Data General Nova minicomputer. The only thing louder than the teletype was the drum impact printer.

Reactions: lzolman