Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t usually make a video until there’s a major version change, but after getting the same 12.3.6 in the 14.9 update and updated maps, there has been a huge change in FSD performance. The parking is definitely faster as I’ve seen a few of us mention, but in addition to making turns it was missing before, it now is waaayyyy more gutsy. It stops at the normal line, but now instead of creeping and stopping again, it just guns it. That’s awesome as long as it actually knows the coast is clear and not just hoping. Also, I was at a light at cars were waiting for oncoming traffic to make a left, the light was yellow for a bit and instead of waiting, it gunned it as it turned red.

I don’t usually make a video until there’s a major version change, but after getting the same 12.3.6 in the 14.9 update and updated maps, there has been a huge change in FSD performance. The parking is definitely faster as I’ve seen a few of us mention, but in addition to making turns it was missing before, it now is waaayyyy more gutsy. It stops at the normal line, but now instead of creeping and stopping again, it just guns it. That’s awesome as long as it actually knows the coast is clear and not just hoping. Also, I was at a light at cars were waiting for oncoming traffic to make a left, the light was yellow for a bit and instead of waiting, it gunned it as it turned red.
I second the gutsiness. It follow a car on an UPL in a tight space, but it was fine.

Tesla actually disabled the scroll wheel nag dismissal mechanism initially for FSD V12 (suggesting perhaps they frowned upon it), but added it back in V12.3.
Elon however have always wanted a hands free version, basically the logic is that the hands on wheels is just a means to an end of attention detection. As long as NHTSA is satisfied with the camera based attention detection, that is the direction he wants to push.
Don’t think I’ve seen or heard Elon comment on the cabin camera since way back when he was slamming the idea of using it for driver monitoring because it was inaccurate — Tesla’s cabin camera was never intended for driver monitoring, which is why there are restrictions on how and when it entirely replaces the wheel torque. Elon previously said the cabin camera was there to monitor Robotaxi users.

If Tesla positioned the camera correctly and used different/better hardware, the restrictions wouldn’t be required. The fact that we’re here in 2024 and people are clamouring to now have the cabin camera replacing wheel torque is funny tbh after watching this all unfold, can imagine what Elon thinks about it and his previous stance.

Reactions: edseloh and Dave EV
I don't watch Omar's videos (except for the one where his was the only V12 video out there for a while) or follow influencers/shills at all, but I would guess that people who find and watch his videos generally understand that FSD(S) requires driver attentiveness monitoring and probably didn't have "Gee, I guess I don't need to touch the wheel/yoke any more..." as a take-away. Yes, he could have had a disclaimer like, "I'm using a doohickey so I don't have to torque the yoke, to avoid nags while I'm commenting, but I'm always being attentive. This is not to condone defeat devices." Then there wouldn't be the "false advertising" narrative. If he had a reason not to make such a disclosure, my guess is it wasn't a financial one. But of course I don't know.
How many friends do you have total? How many of those have Teslas and understand everything about them? How many out of those have FSD? Use that to make a ratio with friends total and that’ll give you a rough idea of how many people watch his videos that know he is tricking, or know how it should work, or know nothing at all and are drooling over Elon’s super cool new technology.

My ratio from the above is about 200:1. From all of my friends in real life who own Teslas, I’m the only one who has FSD. The rest don’t care to spend the money on it and most of the time don’t even use the AP (including my SO with Model Y)

Seems like the 2024.3.25 to 14.9 movement has come to an end or slowed down drastically. It looks like we have reached a hold state and next move will be interesting to observe

1718294711179.png

Seems like the 2024.3.25 to 14.9 movement has come to an end or slowed down drastically. It looks like we have reached a hold state and next move will be interesting to observe
Unfortunately the "next move" is waiting and waiting and waiting (doesn't seem like a move though). Hate to say it but odds are looking more likely that we will not see ourselves driving 12.4.x until July. "could rightfully be call 12.5 then". 🤣

Hate to say it but odds are looking more likely that we will not see ourselves driving 12.4.x until July. "could rightfully be call 12.5 then". 🤣

I agree. Especially non FSD Tester pool driver like me who subscribed recently. I think our early tester pool will get 12.4.2 or .3 by end of this month and subscribers may see it in July. No biggie. I'm happy to jiggle the steering wheel every now and then. Nag is not a big issue for me. I would rather wait a little more and not get hit with the usual regressions and actually see improvements in various 12.3.6 issues we've all discussed extensively.

Last edited:

View attachment 1056241
Yeah, 14.9 has been in the negative rollout (in the 1000s) for the past couple days so I think Tesla has stopped putting people on it and instead moved some straight to 20.1 (non-FSD peeps) and then keeping the rest on 3.25 for now.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 9.24.38 AM.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: rlsd and OldManCan

View attachment 1056241
Maybe they slow down to fix the release servers and resume full force later. Two big downloads for both 2024.20.1 and 2024.14.9 can choke the servers. It took more than 2 hours for 2024.14.9 to download on my car. Earlier downloads only took less than 30 minutes. Also Tesla SW releases don't always progress on a straight line.
Also they may want to move 2024.3.35 straight to 2024.20.1 after moving 2024.14.9 to 2024.20.1. Everything is possible. Elon is irrational now because he just got his compensation package.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSDTester#1
It seems quite clear, as many of us have suspected for years, that Tesla can tweak parameters that feed into FSD/autopark/other behavior independent of an official version update. That seems to be what has happened here.

It makes perfect sense and is pretty easy to implement...you're just sending a variable over the network. Easy peasy.

I agree. Especially non FSD Tester pool driver like me who subscribed recently. I think our early tester pool will get 12.4.2 or .3 by end of this month and subscribers may see it in July. No biggie. I'm happy to jiggle the steering wheel every now and then. Nag is not a big issue for me. I would rather wait a little more and not get hit with the usual regressions and actually see improvements in various 12.3.6 issues we've all discussed extensively.
I believe there's only 3 pools:

1) Employees working on FSD
2) Shills/influencers/etc
3) Us and everyone else who paid/subscribed