Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just stopping by to complain about 12.3.6 in fog. I got 3 strikes when FSD gave up in heavy fog when FSD was the driver that couldn’t handle the conditions and bailed.
Are you sure you got strikes, and that FSD didn't just disengage? During this drive you stopped and put the vehicle in park three times, in heavy fog? (Since once you get a strike you have to go into park before you could use FSD again and earn another strike.)

All right. So, I take it back about the fear and loathing.

But.. something doesn't seem quite right in your description. The SO and I drive all over the place with FSD and its monitoring. This year, it's been three or four trips back and forth between NJ and Boston as well as a fun trip from NJ to Dallas and back for the eclipse; that last was on 12.3.x, I forget.

No strikes. It takes, what, five or ten seconds or so of not looking out to get the warning about paying attention, and that includes checking side mirrors, side windows, talking to the passenger, and the occasional longish check of the screen.

The torquing is a bit more problematical, I guess, but either driving with one hand on one side of the wheel or using two hands, one on each side, and gently torquing back and forth with breathing usually does the trick.

On my last trip to Boston a few days ago I did occasionally switch FM or streaming stations. No problems, but the idea is to glance down, hit some buttons, back up again, glance down, hit another one or two, and Done. The Big Icons on FM Tuner and/or Streaming Stations make it easy.

As far as the phone goes: It's rigged with Bluetooth so I can answer and make calls with a couple of button clicks on the wheel. Or maybe hitting the phone icon on the screen. Texting works, too, verbally, and once one gets used to the interface, keeping eyes up is trivial.

Now, I'm not surfing the web or texting on the phone when driving.. that's kind of a no-no. What are you doing?
I’m not disputing that you have a good experience. There’s plenty of people who have good experiences, also plenty of people with different expectations or wants/needs. One thing we have in common is that we like Tesla cars, but just that alone doesn’t necessarily mean that we’ll agree on all of its features.

My expectations were similar to Tesla’s 5 year old video. I sit there with hands on my lap not touching the steering wheel and the car takes me places. There was nothing about a cabin camera watching what I do, or having to satisfy any sorts of steering wheel nags. If Tesla did not want me to have those expectations - they shouldn’t have made that video.

At the end of the day, my opinion and nicknames for the beta do not anyhow affect anyone else’s experience with it so I can’t understand why it’s so offensive. The only reasoning I can come up with is that they’re trying to defend something they like with an unreasonable expectation that everyone else has to feel the same way or have the same experience as them. I don’t get offended if others don’t think it’s junk, because it might not be to them.

It seems many people think this is what FSD-Supervised is supposed to be like.

1718304173135.png

How? I’m always going to have at least a third of the screen taken up by a video of my car driving, right?
You seem to be conflating the new Spring Update display with the standard display.

You even said it "was fun for a few days". The standard display has basically been the same (⅓ reserved for system) since the first Model 3 was sold in 2017.

From the article:

Investigators said the rider was stopped at a red light when he was struck by the suspected DUI driver.

Let me add to that:
The vehicle of the responding police officer was then struck by another suspected DUI, or distracted, driver. (They admitted they were using their cellphone.)

Maybe that was the role of the camera in very early release, but it had changed a while back. The attention detection NN was added a long time ago (variables found way back in 2020), and since then, IR lights have been added and the latest version changed the angle so that the driver's hands could be seen.

I'm not saying Elon wouldn't jump at it if NHTSA would allow hands free even without camera detection, but obviously they did not. I'm not sure if you were aware but NHTSA looked into it immediately after Elon made the tweet about releasing hands free mode. This is likely why it took so long for the feature to actually be released.

As for adding a dedicated camera, I find that extremely unlikely. Elon is on record as against "unnecessary" parts (see wiper detection, radar/USS removal, stalk removal, etc). They will likely just continually optimize the cabin camera for dual use. I was initially skeptical using the cabin camera would satisfy NHTSA, but unless they clamp down, looks like so far it is ok.

As for forum attitudes on camera based detection, although I am personally fine using the wheel nag system, I have said before that camera based detection is a better mechanism. The wheel nag complaints have been pretty long running here in the forums. Camera detection comes with its own trade-offs, but it may help address those complaints.
The role of the camera of course evolved because actual robotaxis have not been realized, and I doubt Elon is happy about being here all these years later and the users are just glad it can be used to make the nags a bit less onerous.

The cabin camera requirements (no sunglasses, limited functionality in the dark, hats with brims etc) exist because of the camera position and type. I didn’t think they would be able to get rid of the wheel torque requirement at all because of this stuff, but at least they found a way to build it in with these restrictions.

I wouldn’t be shocked to find us here years later talking about how Tesla is now putting IR cameras directly in the driver’s line of sight and the cabin camera restrictions being lifted as a result.

How many friends do you have total? How many of those have Teslas and understand everything about them? How many out of those have FSD? Use that to make a ratio with friends total and that’ll give you a rough idea of how many people watch his videos that know he is tricking, or know how it should work, or know nothing at all and are drooling over Elon’s super cool new technology.

My ratio from the above is about 200:1. From all of my friends in real life who own Teslas, I’m the only one who has FSD. The rest don’t care to spend the money on it and most of the time don’t even use the AP (including my SO with Model Y)
IMG_4982.jpeg

From the article:

Investigators said the rider was stopped at a red light when he was struck by the suspected DUI driver.

Let me add to that:

The vehicle of the responding police officer was then struck by another suspected DUI, or distracted, driver. (They admitted they were using their cellphone.)

Thanks. I wasn't suggesting Tesla caused a fatal accident. Summary of article... Cop car responding to an earlier fatal accident was hit by a Tesla "allegedly" on "self drive" where the driver admitted to being on their cell phone.

The role of the camera of course evolved because actual robotaxis have not been realized, and I doubt Elon is happy about being here all these years later and the users are just glad it can be used to make the nags a bit less onerous.

The cabin camera requirements (no sunglasses, limited functionality in the dark, hats with brims etc) exist because of the camera position and type. I didn’t think they would be able to get rid of the wheel torque requirement at all because of this stuff, but at least they found a way to build it in with these restrictions.

I wouldn’t be shocked to find us here years later talking about how Tesla is now putting IR cameras directly in the driver’s line of sight and the cabin camera restrictions being lifted as a result.
I should note IR camera even in the line of sight is does not mean sunglasses will work. GM's system for Supercruise which is that configuration does not work with certain types of sunglasses:
Same issues reported with Blue Cruise with the same layout:

I've watched a video that the FSD handsfree mode works with transition lenses (which from above thread people also reported success with). I suspect the limitations are going to be very similar, especially when the cabin camera uses IR mode (for the vehicles equipped with it) and that the angle doesn't play as big a role as people may think.

The wheel nag fall back will probably need to remain (I'm glad there is this option unlike the other systems that may disable if the eye detection doesn't work).