Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The regen indicator is kind of cool information, but I don’t see that is has much practical use.

IMO the only practical usages are:
- when at extremely low SOC (below 2% or so) it shows the power limit, which is a useful gauge of how close the car is to stopping
- when the battery is cold it shows how much regen is available (and how much friction brakes the car is mixing in, when applicable)

Low (but not zero) value items. I preferred the old regen gauge.

An argument for retraining the NN to stay farther away from curbs in general, but also an argument (in my opinion) for Lidar, which would have clearly detected and located the curb in dim light.

I'm sure end to end AI using LIDAR could still be trained to hit curbs.

(But seriously, V11 wasn't nearly as reckless with curbs so this isn't fundamentally a perception limitation. Although I see you mentioned dim light, so perhaps your case is.)

I'm sure end to end AI using LIDAR could still be trained to hit curbs.
No doubt. But I've never had v12 come this close to a curb, let alone hit one, in good lighting. So I think the fault was at least partly perception.
(But seriously, V11 wasn't nearly as reckless with curbs so this isn't fundamentally a perception limitation. Although I see you mentioned dim light, so perhaps your case is.)
True, v11 was better, though on v10 (or maybe early v11) I had one incident of GNARLY curb rash on both front and back wheels simultaneously, when the curb on a straight road was partially covered with ivy, and the car was driving in the right lane. At about 25mph; the car veered into the curb too quickly for me to take over, and GRIIIND. Fortunately the plastic wheel covers took most of the damage, but they were shredded enough that I had to replace them.

Nope. In the post I read about the fix, the guy used something like denatured alcohol or some other solvent. I don’t remember what, but using anything stronger than the usual ammonia-based cleaners has to be approached with caution.
That was me, and I used both Sprayway (similar to invisible Glass aerosol version) and straight 91% isopropyl. It's not easy to get the film off; I find it's kind of greasy and stubborn, so a microfiber cloth will help scoop it up in conjunction with the cleaner. (Denatured alcohol is similar but has chemical bitters added to discourage ingestion.)

I didn't use acetone or MEK or or anything else really serious. You have to be a little careful because there is a heating element adhered to the glass and you don't want to have that melt or come off. Also I gently cleaned the camera lenses with Zeiss lens wipes, which use diluted alcohol on the non-scratch tissue, safe for plastic and glass spectacles.

No doubt. But I've never had v12 come this close to a curb, let alone hit one, in good lighting. So I think the fault was at least partly perception.

True, v11 was better, though on v10 (or maybe early v11) I had one incident of GNARLY curb rash on both front and back wheels simultaneously, when the curb on a straight road was partially covered with ivy, and the car was driving in the right lane. At about 25mph; the car veered into the curb too quickly for me to take over, and GRIIIND. Fortunately the plastic wheel covers took most of the damage, but they were shredded enough that I had to replace them.
Time to recalibrate the cameras

May have been clipped in what was posted. I didn’t watch the video, but this is a key difference:
View attachment 1055612

Currently, we have to be doing something.

Ramphex said:
"Link me to a 12.3.6 video where you can drive nag-free, hands-free for the duration of how long that person has driven in Tesla’s 5 year old video, with no interventions or any sorts of other goofy *sugar*."

@Ramphex- Here is another video in response to your challenge. Back to back drives with zero interventions and hands free. No "goofy sugar". Same as Tesla's 5 year old video. These were not complex drives but neither was Tesla's. Time to finally retire "junk" when referring to FSD. Was it perfect, of course not. But did it match Tesla's drive that you asked for? Yup.

Here is another video in response to your challenge.
He got me thinking about the complacency issue when he mentioned road trips with the hands free stuff. I wonder if disabling FSD after an hour of use for about five minutes of manual driving would help. I can imagine people getting all wrapped up in their hands being free, to the point where if anything happens, they literally won't be in a position to control the vehicle. The idea of turning off FSD after an hour would be to remind the driver that they are, in fact, still driving the car.

Or make it two hours, then ten minutes of driving. Whatever the limit is for complacency firmly setting in. The goal being to get a visceral reminder that if anything does happen, they've gotta quickly get their hands on the wheel and feet on the pedals.

When we have an LLM to talk to, it can bug us constantly. "Are you doing your part?"

There is no new 12.3.6. Nag reduction is in 12.4.x.
Yeah, I’m getting objectively just as much nag from trying to look at the main screen as before..

Also, the new media control bug is fine, didn’t need to be bigger really but removing the swipe up to easily get to recents and favorites.. WHY? I don’t want to pop a main screen full panel just to switch between some stations.

Reactions: Wnuk
I got version 2024.14.9 the other day. I've had a Tesla for a year and a half, and while I appreciate being able to get new features in updates, I'm tired of surprises when I start my car. Sometimes I just want to go somewhere, and don't want an adventure before I get out of the garage.

For some time now, about a minute after disengaging FSD I get the screaming beeps and a message that says "take control immediately." I really hate these things. It may be time to schedule service.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Dirty Tesla 12.4.1 in Downtown Ann Harbor.

Overall I just don't see much if any improvements over 12.3.6. I know a lot want the hands free but that is a feature more than an improvement in driving. And mostly meaningless to me since I wear sunglasses. Damn if I going to squint and suffer in the bright sun just to not touch the wheel.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
about a minute after disengaging FSD I get the screaming beeps and a message that says "take control immediately." I really hate these things. It may be time to schedule service.
No this is normal. It really does not like you drifting in your lane after disengagement, for obvious reasons. So it increases the sensitivity for those warnings. I don’t know whether it is a full minute of time, but certainly for a short period of time after disengagement.