Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still high on v12 but did have a BAD fail. Was on 14th street headed east and supposed to go straight across Peachtree St. but was incorrectly in the left turn lane. It even had 2 cars in front of it and both of course turned. It tried to go straight across, which is not really possible because the traffic going straight was backed up and there is a traffic island blocking. So had to disengage. Odd that I thought that NHTSA made Tesla honor wrong turns when in the turn lane. Even so there was no where to go except to turn.turned

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
Hope this clears up some confusion about the highway stack in these FSD V12 builds and why people feel like their highway experiences are improved despite being on the old stack. The V11 highway stack still receives updates.
...or they could just read the one sentence Release Notes. 🤔 🤪 🤣

IMG_4562.jpeg

Still high on v12 but did have a BAD fail. Was on 14th street headed east and supposed to go straight across Peachtree St. but was incorrectly in the left turn lane. It even had 2 cars in front of it and both of course turned. It tried to go straight across, which is not really possible because the traffic going straight was backed up and there is a traffic island blocking. So had to disengage. Odd that I thought that NHTSA made Tesla honor wrong turns when in the turn lane. Even so there was no where to go except to turn.turned
I had an issue in Atlanta yesterday, the road forked and it went straight for the middle island...the path kept changing and I slammed on brakes about 2 feet from the concrete. The car just got confused.

Shower thought: what if Tesla hates android users like me and pushes new builds to cars that are only attached to phones on the latest version of the phone app? (iOS is always ahead of android, currently iOS is v4.31 and android is v4.30.6)
For the past 2 years, my iPhone has never notified me when there's an update waiting, for some reason I always have to wake up my car and see if it's already on the screen

9-mile commute. Link provided yesterday here which is important for evaluating the scenario. Pretty awesome overall. Light traffic.

0 disengagements (a first, by far, fewest ever is like 3-4 or something probably). There were one or two lucky situations where it was drifting uncertainly for a second, and if there had been cars around I would have disengaged.

~7+ interventions, for speed and a couple lane changes I wanted to make, or cancel impending incorrect ones it wanted to do.

Absolutely ZERO nags. Not one. (9 and 3 FTW.)

🔥 🔥 🔥 (Seriously!)

This thing is good (for my application).

To me, more investigation needed, but it seems to make some attempts to drift around the lane to create buffers, and it may be avoiding blind spots. BUT, I am not sure about this; obviously could be chance. Wasn’t super busy this morning so not too many opportunities to observe. TBD

Will it make mistakes? Yes
Is the speed control broken? Yes
Is the stopping behavior stupid? Yes
Will it be pretty useless in some scenarios? Yes
Will it be a robotaxi? Absolutely not on current hardware, obviously.

So it appears fundamentally good for certain specific scenarios, but is also currently broken, as previously described. We will see if it can overcome these issues and be useful in slightly more complex scenarios.

Yes, both modes are broken.
Surely this another sign of the pending apocalypse… 😂

I had exactly this what yesterday, day before. Car was supposed to go STRAIGHT, but was mostly in the LEFT TURN LANE and just proceeded through the intersection from the LEFT TURN LANE WHICH HAD A RED LEFT LIGHT, and continued straight - which was the nav path.

Still high on v12 but did have a BAD fail.
Agree. After another hour today I found some hiccups (which I was expecting). Mostly related to somewhat blind unprotected / completely uncontrolled turns. Overall behavior is leaps and bounds ahead of anything prior for me. I tested most of my rough spots and probably like 90+% are fixed (for now at least).

Handled dedicated lanes for a turn with 'keep moving' signs where prior versions stopped. Slowed very slightly compared to what I'd do - probably an A-

Lane decisions drastically improved - though still probably a C+ or B- level

Stop signs continue to be amazing for me so far. Solid A

Couple roundabouts handled well without stopping. More evidence needed as these could be two lane but are generally just a single stream of cars in a wide lane. Rolled through very slightly slower than I would have. B+

Reactions: rlsd
Hope this clears up some confusion about the highway stack in these FSD V12 builds and why people feel like their highway experiences are improved despite being on the old stack. The V11 highway stack still receives updates.
If I understand correctly v12 has 3 parts:
1. City street stack
2. V11 enhanced highway stack
3. The part that handles the transition between city stack and highway stack. I think this part may cause early or late exit or incorrect move from ramp to highway.

9-mile commute. Link provided yesterday here which is important for evaluating the scenario. Pretty awesome overall. Light traffic.

0 disengagements (a first, by far, fewest ever is like 3-4 or something probably). There were one or two lucky situations where it was drifting uncertainly for a second, and if there had been cars around I would have disengaged.

~7+ interventions, for speed and a couple lane changes I wanted to make, or cancel impending incorrect ones it wanted to do.

Absolutely ZERO nags. Not one. (9 and 3 FTW.)

🔥 🔥 🔥 (Seriously!)

This thing is good (for my application).

To me, more investigation needed, but it seems to make some attempts to drift around the lane to create buffers, and it may be avoiding blind spots. BUT, I am not sure about this; obviously could be chance. Wasn’t super busy this morning so not too many opportunities to observe. TBD

Will it make mistakes? Yes
Is the speed control broken? Yes
Is the stopping behavior stupid? Yes
Will it be pretty useless in some scenarios? Yes
Will it be a robotaxi? Absolutely not on current hardware, obviously.

So it appears fundamentally good for certain specific scenarios, but is also currently broken, as previously described. We will see if it can overcome these issues and be useful in slightly more complex scenarios.

Yes, both modes are broken.
You’re not a member of the Junk crew by any means but I don’t think I’ve ever seen you this positive!

The good news is things like speed control and stopping behavior should be imminently fixable.

I’m curious to see how it behaves when extended to highways. For me one of the biggest limitations of V11 is the inability to plan exits. We have a lot of cloverleafs around here. Cloverleafs are admittedly bad design to begin with but on top of that we have several that require you to dart over as soon as the solid white line ends. V11 seems to take the approach that it can’t even start thinking about merging until the dotted line starts, then it needs about a block to build up courage before it gets enough nerve to try it and by that time you’ve missed the exit.