Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V12.3.1 first impression: very good, no regressions.
Setting: Chill

Fixed right turn/left turn problem found in the 12.2.1 and 12.3. Now from N. Torrey Pines it can smoothly right turn to La Jolla Shore Dr then quickly left turn to Scholar Drive to go UCSD Biology Building.

Manual Speed Limit: seem fixed but I am not completely sure because I already forgot how v11.4.9 behaved. In some areas it's still about 7 mph or 5 mph or 2 mph below the set Max Speed.

Auto speed limit: works great. It can go 10, 8, 5 mph about speed limit. It seems to follow speed of the other cars. No need to press accelerator.

Curb rash: I didn't see any potential problems. In some areas, the car tends to get very close to the yellow line on the first lane, but the wheels are still about 12-16 inches from the curb. Ideally the wheel should move 6-8 inch more to the right.

Parking: No test. 1 jerky left turn and 1 jerky right turn when the car is already in the shopping parking lot.

Lane change to prepare to turn at intersection: about right. The shortest lane change before coming to the intersection is .1 mile.

Waiting for unprotected right turn: about right when turning to 50, 55 mph, but sometimes wait too to turn to 25, 30 mph street.

V12.3.1 first impression: very good, no regressions.
Setting: Chill
Speed offset setting: 7mph

Fixed right turn/left turn problem found in the 12.2.1 and 12.3. Now from N. Torrey Pines it can smoothly right turn to La Jolla Shore Dr then quickly left turn to Scholar Drive to go UCSD Biology Building.

Manual Speed Limit: seem fixed but I am not completely sure because I already forgot how v11.4.9 behaved. In some areas it's still about 7 mph or 5 mph or 2 mph below the set Max Speed.

Auto speed limit: works great. It can go 10, 8, 5 mph about speed limit. It seems to follow speed of the other cars. No need to press accelerator.

Curb rash: I didn't see any potential problems. In some areas, the car tends to get very close to the yellow line on the first lane, but the wheels are still about 12-16 inches from the curb. Ideally the wheel should move 6-8 inch more to the right.

Parking: No test. 1 jerky left turn and 1 jerky right turn when the car is already in the shopping parking lot.

Lane change to prepare to turn at intersection: about right. The shortest lane change before coming to the intersection is .1 mile.

Waiting for unprotected right turn: about right when turning to 50, 55 mph, but sometimes it waits too long to turn to 25, 30 mph street.

Last edited:
Look forward to your assessments of the “fixes.” Sadly they haven’t spoken of fixing the stopping and going (only addressing the maintaining), so I do not expect much there.

I took it out for a drive through a long challenging set of residential streets to pick up a few things at a grocery. It did well but it’s hard to say if it was all that different from 12.3.

It did correctly handle an odd 4-way stop that 12.3 missed and tried to drive through last week.

Maybe auto set speed is better?

I will have to drive more tomorrow before I can have a real assessment of the new release.

Last edited:
Early report on 12.3.1. Chill, Average. Auto Speed. zero offsets. Local unmarked neighborhood.

1. Speed up to Max or Max-1 (25 mph)
2. No big dip on speed on slow down to stop sign.
3. Acceleration after Stop, OK.
4. Turns seems more sharp. i.e. less corner cut. Or I may be more sensitive to curbing now!
5. Slow down for dips.

All good to me.

I will call it a day as rain is coming and I just washed the car yesterday!
I'm glad to hear it's slowing for dips!

Reactions: RabidYak
Nope. Basically, if one had either bought or rented FSD at the end of last year and, I think, it was active on the car, one stayed on 2023.44.whatever. And those people are now getting more 2023.44.whatever branches with 12.1.

Everybody else, except for those who avoid updates on principle for whatever reason, have been promoted to 2024.x. They're all getting the nifty new features and user interface improvements that those of us working on FSD aren't getting.
Not true. I have had FSD for years and I am 2024 branch already. I am in Canada though so everyone here is stil on FSD 11.x

"Lane lines are just suggestions for peasants" -probably V12

Joking aside, the E2E architecture in 12.3 is introducing some weird regressions that V11 would never do. I happened to catch two of them back to back in a 30 second clip:

- First it crosses over a double yellow for no reason
- Then it casually drifts into the right lane - without signalling! (it's a slower drift than typical lane changes, didn't feel like an intentional lane change)

I assume the weather has some factor in this. V11 was quite good in conditions like this and the visualization was still accurately showing the lanes.

So, potentially symptomatic of under-representation of snowy wet weather in the training data? (Not surprising and probably reasonable at this stage of development)

(Performance in deeper snow with zero lane line visibility was not great either. V11 would jerkily panic when it lost track of the lane lines; V12 smoothly does the wrong thing. It's not much better at times but fails rather differently. That certainly supports the explanation of low training on snow and winter conditions.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lzolman and rlsd
So, I can’t say that it’s ready to be out of beta, but it’s by far the first significant update since the beginning. v10.x was dog *sugar* and so was v11.x. This is the first time I might actually go back to messing with it on the daily (just like I did during the honeymoon phase with 10.1 or 10.2, whatever the hot garbage was that got rolled out after the Safety Score game)

Limited test today on about an hour long round trip. Night time and minimal traffic. Also learned that the Tesla Nav doesn’t have an option to avoid highways, never cared for it before, but wanted to take all local on the way back to see how it performs as I saw 0 difference with the highway stack.

2021 Model S LR

Good:
  • Driving feels more natural
  • Has not slammed on the brakes when slowing down behind cars or coming up to a red light (was happening daily on v11)
  • Acceleration feels better
  • Hasn’t turn onto random streets while GPS indicates to go straight

Bad:
  • Still turns on random blinkers for a brief moment without switching lanes or turning
  • Seems to hog the center line with the passenger side tires in different situations
  • Has commitment issues during lane changes into turning lanes, starts to change, hesitates, bounces back a bit, then completed the lane change
  • When in manual speed offset, needs an accelerator bump to get up to speed, tends to lag behind the set number and drive slow
  • Excessive red arm “apply torque” messages with an audible tone in situations where there were no white arms with no tone prior (annoyingly makes too much noise and interrupts music)
  • Red arms with pay attention upon engaging FSD, sometimes the flashing persists requiring a disengage in fear of a strike. Usually re-engages without incident on second attempt
  • On a couple of occasions switched into the middle lane out of the left lane and put itself in a position behind a vehicle that’s slower than set speed, while there was no other traffic in the left lane

Indifferent:
  • Auto speed offset is just not for me, it takes too long to accelerate over the speed limit and barely anyone around here does less than 5-10 over the limit on the regular. Also reverts back to manual offset when on the highway
  • Switched it to single click enable by default, I’ve always used single for TACC and double for AP/FSD
  • Keeps using friction brakes to slow down instead of maximizing the usage of regen (could tell by looking at the green bar on the dash, plus hovering your foot just on the side of the brake pedal, slightly touching it to feel the movement)
Overall, good update. Hopefully as the next updates roll out, we keep seeing significant changes and not just an incremental version number increase with a big change log of mumbo jumbo that most people don’t know what it even says, and no actual real life experience improvements (*cough* v11 *cough*). I honestly expected the original FSDj version to behave like this, with small updates over time. Couple years late to meet my expectations, but I guess better late than never.

I feel that something is a bit off with the cosmos today.

Omar wasn't entirely thrilled with his first drive on the new release, and even said it might be worse.

Meanwhile, @Ramphex thinks v12 is not junk and might be worth using.

This is all a little eerie; I hope the sun comes up tomorrow.
Elon says thanks to Ramphex for his approval:)

Omar wasn't entirely thrilled with his first drive on the new release, and even said it might be worse.

The only difference is I don’t anyhow profit from anything I say about it, and he’s a shill, so I take his opinions with a grain of salt 😅

The only difference is I don’t anyhow profit from anything I say about it, and he’s a shill, so I take his opinions with a grain of salt 😅
Agreed, I only watched a couple of his videos because nobody else had V12.
I don't know what it is about him. I instantly get annoyed hearing his voice.
He just comes off as he is better than everyone else and is very disingenuous.

Agreed, I only watched a couple of his videos because nobody else had V12.
I don't know what it is about him. I instantly get annoyed hearing his voice.
He just comes off as he is better than everyone else and is very disingenuous.
He is better than everyone else. Well, maybe not better than EVNow, he’s definitely the best 😅

Right? I don't usually buy lottery tickets, but this may be the time.