Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...none of that answers the actual question.

He said L3 would require more government involvement. It factually does not- and Mercedes having an L3 on the road in at least one self-certifying state, without having required any more government involvment, is proof of that.

WHY Mercedes launched the system has nothing to do with the regulations in play.... (esp. when the OTHER state they have it in so far is CA, one of the few that actually does require real approval)

That's not to say Tesla might not get scrutiny from some government agency after launching L3. But they don't need "regulatory approval" to launch it in the first place.

They need to say:
It's capable of L3
We have insurance
It follows all traffic laws.
Trust Us Bro.

That's it. They do that, and it can go on the road today in many US states. And some more of them after they file a form that says the same thing.

No "regulators" are standing in the way of that.

Again there's nothing in the law requiring any specific sensors- so that's irrelevant to the discussion
I’m not familiar with Nevada law. Could you provide the literature where it exempts people from handsfree and other laws while operating an L3 capable vehicle?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
All right I bit the bullet and updated to 12.3 today. Holy cow the driving experience felt completely different. Steering felt so much more humanlike - so much smoother. Behavior at the red light was also very humanlike. The car inched forward, observed the intersection traffic to apparently conclude that the cross traffic was in the protected left turn phase, and made a right turn, rightfully - exactly what I would've done.

It feels like a different program altogether. I'm impressed.

I’m not familiar with Nevada law. Could you provide the literature where it exempts people from handsfree and other laws while operating an L3 capable vehicle?
SAE L3 by definition "You are NOT driving..." So if you are not driving you don't need to touch the wheel, watch the road or any other driving behavior until the system request it.
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 6.26.41 PM.png

Just to add here is what Mercedes says.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 6.35.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 6.34.34 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramphex
I believe I had autospeed enabled. The display switched from saying "Auto" to a number (sometimes way higher than the speed limit) when I went into the controls to check. Actual behavior was mostly fine. There were a couple of instances where I pressed the accelerator to get up to speed a little faster.
Ok, for the drive home I got a chance to look at it more. I think I was NOT initially in autospeed. There might have been some momentary confusion between the cloud profile and the car. Since our cars were at 12.3 and the loaner was at 12.3.1. It looks like the settings were reset to Autospeed off (even though it appeared to be initially on).

For the drive home I enabled autospeed.

I was on Evelyn Ave in Sunnyvale/Mountain View for a part of the drive. The speed limit is 35. The car was driving between 34 and 45 with some amount of oscillation. If I wasn't watching the speedometer I don't think I would have known that the speed was changing. There was very little traffic around me.

There was also some bad/late positioning in a turn lane. This odd because the other place where it used to be late on it is now on the early side.

There was an unprotected left turn at a light near home that 12.3 had been executing to near perfection that 12.3.1 was really slow on. There were no vehicles coming in the opposite direction. The light turned green, and the car may have inched forward but seemed to freeze. It was slow enough for me to press the accelerator.

In the limited drive, 12.3.1 didn't seemed that different from 12.3 but I didn't have major issues with 12.3.

Well, Tesla delivery just called me and said they're either gonna have to push back my delivery to tomorrow evening or Thursday - The X is still in transit from Fremont.
If it was me I’d just show up around noon and camp out.
IMG_1201.jpeg

Also new cybertruck is on factory .2.100 so maybe the X is same and you won’t wait long to get FSD on .3.5

For those with FSD, if you don’t have navigation on, how does it react to turn signals?
12.3.1 here. It does not make turns or exits in response to turn signals. Sigh. It only seems to do the lane change thing. I've heard that if you lane change into a turn only lane, it ... uh.... may turn. YMMV
How easy is it to get the car to go where you want it to go without exiting FSD?
I have not found a way yet.

I figure Tesla is still hung up on RoboTaxi, point A to point B with no intervention. But since that requires having point B in the nav, when nav is not in use, I think FSD ought to take turn commands from the blinkers.