Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1243.jpeg

Just hit me in the car wash tunnel.

I just tried out the latest free-trial version, for entertainment value more than anything else. If this is too long to read, the summary is: drove 3 small routes totaling maybe 10 or 15 miles, with roughly half a dozen "oops" moments including at least 2 times it deactivated itself for reasons that weren't obvious. I'm a FSD newbie, so feel free to tell me what I might be doing wrong.

Navigated from home to Home Depot maybe 5 miles away:

- Failed to pull out of our alley onto a neighborhood street (just sat there) so I did that manually.
- Successfully navigated a couple stop signs, slowed WAY down for several speed bumps.
- Approached intersection with light at larger busy street but the light turned yellow just as we reached it and the car touched the brakes then deactivated FSD and “coasted” (regen) to a stop further into the intersection than I’m comfortable with, including blocking a cross walk. I backed up and waited for the green light manually.
- Started again and it successfully took me all the way to Home Depot, another 4.5mi or so including several stop lights, merging onto and exiting the highway, and pulling into the large parking lot and proceeding to the front of the store.

Navigated to McD’s from Home Depot:

- Finding its way out of the HD lot was tricky and it failed, including seeming like it was pulling out into the path of an oncoming car (which had also just pulled out and turned, in a way that perhaps it did not have the right to do). I hit the brakes and left the lot manually.
- Started again and got to McD’s without further incident, including a few lights and an unprotected left into the lot.

Navigated from McD’s to home:

- Got confused trying to exit the lot where it should have turned left from the parking lot lane into a lane that parallels the street, and then immediately turned right to exit the lot and wait for an opportunity to turn right onto the street. It made the first left VERY slowly, then failed to take the immediate right turn (which was indicated on the nav screen), and pissed off another car in the lot by moving so slowly. I deactivated by wrenching the wheel to take the needed right turn.
- Reactivated after pulling onto the street and putting it into the middle (and correct) lane for an eventual right onto the highway. After a bit it changed lanes into the right lane but that lane is exit only for the wrong direction on the highway, so it almost immediately (50 yards?) moved back to the middle lane and then got on the highway shortly after that.
- Stop and go traffic on the highway came to a stop. The car signaled a lane change to the left to go around stopped traffic, but that lane had upcoming traffic so it waited a bit and then seemed to give up, turning the signal off. Almost immediately after that FSD just deactivated for no apparent reason.
- Reactivated and it took me all the way home, exiting the highway and navigating a few lights and stop signs. The last two turns (indicated correctly on the nav screen) are a right onto a residential street and then an immediate 45 degree right again into our alley (which is a city street on the map, but looks more like a driveway in real life). It took the first right onto the street but it drove right past the alley, continued another block or so and then pulled over and stopped (not where our house is). I deactivated and went around the block to get into the alley.

All in all it was impressive to a newbie, but at the same time that’s quite a few mistakes in 10 or 15 miles of driving. This is my first experience with FSD so what do I know.

D
Congrats on trying out FSD (Supervised) and good luck with your trial.
FSD is still not parking lot ready although it will do fairly well in many parking lots but a failure is not surprising.
Most of us that have used FSD for awhile have a pretty good idea what FSD will do but that takes time. Give FSD a week and I suspect you will feel more comfortable.
Just a few things that FSD does not support now. V12 development is moving quickly so it's possible you may find one or more of these work. I wish Tesla
would let new users know about these. The fact Tesla doesn't is pathetic.
-School buses with flashing lights
-School zones- does not typically slow down
-Emergency vehicles. Treats them like any other vehicle.
-Pot Holes
-Any type of hand gestures by police/road crew
-Doesn't back up
-

I've been on the boards since early 2019, and a FSD buy since June of that year.

One of the interesting things is that over those five years now, its been obvious to me that you could get out a map, and take a green highlighter pen and highlight the roads, intersections, fwys where FSD worked.

Virtually 100% of the time, once it "worked" in an area, it worked all the time. The couple of exceptions were the now famous phantom braking and the formerly famous (as it does not do this any longer) "inability to figure out where the lane was" situations.

But basically, over time the number of roads or portions of roads where it works has expanded, and now v12 expands it the most of any other update.

Maybe I noticed it in this was as for the quarter to half mile surrounding my house, its all unmarked hilly roads, where maybe one car fits at a time, and when every version prior to v12 was installed FSD would just shut off when it got to roads it could not longer handle, so rather than look at it as "task based" I looked at the software as "locations based."

It now works in a very large percentage of all possible roads. I guess that's what it takes to be impressed, but to me it was always impressive as to the roads it could handle.

I just tried out the latest free-trial version, for entertainment value more than anything else. If this is too long to read, the summary is: drove 3 small routes totaling maybe 10 or 15 miles, with roughly half a dozen "oops" moments including at least 2 times it deactivated itself for reasons that weren't obvious. I'm a FSD newbie, so feel free to tell me what I might be doing wrong.

Navigated from home to Home Depot maybe 5 miles away:

- Failed to pull out of our alley onto a neighborhood street (just sat there) so I did that manually.
- Successfully navigated a couple stop signs, slowed WAY down for several speed bumps.
- Approached intersection with light at larger busy street but the light turned yellow just as we reached it and the car touched the brakes then deactivated FSD and “coasted” (regen) to a stop further into the intersection than I’m comfortable with, including blocking a cross walk. I backed up and waited for the green light manually.
- Started again and it successfully took me all the way to Home Depot, another 4.5mi or so including several stop lights, merging onto and exiting the highway, and pulling into the large parking lot and proceeding to the front of the store.

Navigated to McD’s from Home Depot:

- Finding its way out of the HD lot was tricky and it failed, including seeming like it was pulling out into the path of an oncoming car (which had also just pulled out and turned, in a way that perhaps it did not have the right to do). I hit the brakes and left the lot manually.
- Started again and got to McD’s without further incident, including a few lights and an unprotected left into the lot.

Navigated from McD’s to home:

- Got confused trying to exit the lot where it should have turned left from the parking lot lane into a lane that parallels the street, and then immediately turned right to exit the lot and wait for an opportunity to turn right onto the street. It made the first left VERY slowly, then failed to take the immediate right turn (which was indicated on the nav screen), and pissed off another car in the lot by moving so slowly. I deactivated by wrenching the wheel to take the needed right turn.
- Reactivated after pulling onto the street and putting it into the middle (and correct) lane for an eventual right onto the highway. After a bit it changed lanes into the right lane but that lane is exit only for the wrong direction on the highway, so it almost immediately (50 yards?) moved back to the middle lane and then got on the highway shortly after that.
- Stop and go traffic on the highway came to a stop. The car signaled a lane change to the left to go around stopped traffic, but that lane had upcoming traffic so it waited a bit and then seemed to give up, turning the signal off. Almost immediately after that FSD just deactivated for no apparent reason.
- Reactivated and it took me all the way home, exiting the highway and navigating a few lights and stop signs. The last two turns (indicated correctly on the nav screen) are a right onto a residential street and then an immediate 45 degree right again into our alley (which is a city street on the map, but looks more like a driveway in real life). It took the first right onto the street but it drove right past the alley, continued another block or so and then pulled over and stopped (not where our house is). I deactivated and went around the block to get into the alley.

All in all it was impressive to a newbie, but at the same time that’s quite a few mistakes in 10 or 15 miles of driving. This is my first experience with FSD so what do I know.

D
I expect that you disengaged when it actually would have been fine if you hadn’t. I did that a lot at first when I got V12, upgraded from V11. I’ve gradually learned I can trust it more than I thought. Often if it seems too slow, I will then notice a pedestrian or other situation it was waiting for that I hadn’t seen. I’ve learned that it is more attentive than I am. Sometimes it is a little more cautious than I would be, which can seem annoying but is actually good.