Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After watching AI DRIVR's livestream, I accept everyone's apology who doubted that vision would be able to calculate distances as good as if not better than USS.

I used to have Tesla's USS autopark. The vision system looks way better. AI DRIVR parked in about 10 places on his livestream. Every time it fit into small spaces, hugging the curb, but never hit anything.

And there's an INCREDIBLE section with a chain-link fence. The high fidelity autopark not only detected and showed the chain-link fence, but it was also partially transparent just like the real fence! Absolutely crazy.
Hope he makes an AI DRIVR quality edited version. Can't watch that low quality compressed horizontal Live version. He makes some of the best quality edited videos in the biz. Did he happen to say he was going to release it edited?

I just tried out the latest free-trial version, for entertainment value more than anything else. If this is too long to read, the summary is: drove 3 small routes totaling maybe 10 or 15 miles, with roughly half a dozen "oops" moments including at least 2 times it deactivated itself for reasons that weren't obvious. I'm a FSD newbie, so feel free to tell me what I might be doing wrong.

Navigated from home to Home Depot maybe 5 miles away:

- Failed to pull out of our alley onto a neighborhood street (just sat there) so I did that manually.
- Successfully navigated a couple stop signs, slowed WAY down for several speed bumps.
- Approached intersection with light at larger busy street but the light turned yellow just as we reached it and the car touched the brakes then deactivated FSD and “coasted” (regen) to a stop further into the intersection than I’m comfortable with, including blocking a cross walk. I backed up and waited for the green light manually.
- Started again and it successfully took me all the way to Home Depot, another 4.5mi or so including several stop lights, merging onto and exiting the highway, and pulling into the large parking lot and proceeding to the front of the store.

Navigated to McD’s from Home Depot:

- Finding its way out of the HD lot was tricky and it failed, including seeming like it was pulling out into the path of an oncoming car (which had also just pulled out and turned, in a way that perhaps it did not have the right to do). I hit the brakes and left the lot manually.
- Started again and got to McD’s without further incident, including a few lights and an unprotected left into the lot.

Navigated from McD’s to home:

- Got confused trying to exit the lot where it should have turned left from the parking lot lane into a lane that parallels the street, and then immediately turned right to exit the lot and wait for an opportunity to turn right onto the street. It made the first left VERY slowly, then failed to take the immediate right turn (which was indicated on the nav screen), and pissed off another car in the lot by moving so slowly. I deactivated by wrenching the wheel to take the needed right turn.
- Reactivated after pulling onto the street and putting it into the middle (and correct) lane for an eventual right onto the highway. After a bit it changed lanes into the right lane but that lane is exit only for the wrong direction on the highway, so it almost immediately (50 yards?) moved back to the middle lane and then got on the highway shortly after that.
- Stop and go traffic on the highway came to a stop. The car signaled a lane change to the left to go around stopped traffic, but that lane had upcoming traffic so it waited a bit and then seemed to give up, turning the signal off. Almost immediately after that FSD just deactivated for no apparent reason.
- Reactivated and it took me all the way home, exiting the highway and navigating a few lights and stop signs. The last two turns (indicated correctly on the nav screen) are a right onto a residential street and then an immediate 45 degree right again into our alley (which is a city street on the map, but looks more like a driveway in real life). It took the first right onto the street but it drove right past the alley, continued another block or so and then pulled over and stopped (not where our house is). I deactivated and went around the block to get into the alley.

All in all it was impressive to a newbie, but at the same time that’s quite a few mistakes in 10 or 15 miles of driving. This is my first experience with FSD so what do I know.

D
What year is your car? From what version to what version was the update?

Hope he makes an AI DRIVR quality edited version. Can't watch that low quality compressed horizontal Live version. He makes some of the best quality edited videos in the biz. Did he happen to say he was going to release it edited?
He didn't. I don't think he was recording as his plan was to just drive around and take requests but his network service was so poor it didn't turn out well. He said he might try jerry-rigging Starlink to stream next time.

This but no idea why. I have not seen ANY tester of ANY v12 being done yet on a non-interior camera car. None. I've asked many people about this and nobody is saying why. That trend continues with the current rollout.
The 2023 rollout cars had plenty of hw3 x and s. But how do you know if they were legacy cars or refreshes with interior cams?

Edit: just expanded that and saw no pre refresh cars. I'm getting concerned.

Last edited:
The speed control is the pits out where I live:

1711748371609.jpeg

As you can see, totally well marked 55mph road, just tearing it up at 52mph. There was about 8miles of this.

Same road, the speed limit dropped to 35 as I was approaching the intersection/town, just holding steady at 48mph. Absolutely ridiculous:

1711748585978.png

I think some of the issue with these rural backroads is they are hilly. FSD slows for hills/dips, but it shouldn’t for all of them. It does do a fantastic job with raised railroad crossings, I will say that.

Edit: downloading 2024.3.6(12.3.2.1) now, have to see if it still sucks at speed control.

The speed control is the pits out where I live:

View attachment 1033439

As you can see, totally well marked 55mph road, just tearing it up at 52mph. There was about 8miles of this.

Same road, the speed limit dropped to 35 as I was approaching the intersection/town, just holding steady at 48mph. Absolutely ridiculous:

View attachment 1033441

I think some of the issue with these rural backroads is they are hilly. FSD slows for hills/dips, but it shouldn’t for all of them. It does do a fantastic job with raised railroad crossings, I will say that.
I can’t imagine any reason it would have to go under the speed limit on paved roads, aside from inclement weather. It’s not like FSDS is operating a 26 foot Budget truck on the twisties at full speed.

I can’t imagine any reason it would have to go under the speed limit on paved roads, aside from inclement weather. It’s not like FSDS is operating a 26 foot Budget truck on the twisties at full speed.
EXACTLY. It’s actually relaxing when I’m on the highways now, since speed control works on v11, I don’t need to CONSTANTLY manipulate the accelerator. $hit is getting old.