Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't have time for a formal first impressions yet, however one behavior that seems different is it used to around a half a mile start getting ready for an upcoming turn. Today it started doing that 1 mile out. Anyone else notice this?
What we really want it to do is .... figure out what is the best time / way to get into the correct lane. Bonus points on different behavior with different modes.

Basically get over to the correct lane well in advance if its empty / moving at the set max limit. No reason to wait. Also get over quickly if it is very busy (because otherwise you might miss). This is where the chill/aggressive behavior might be different - in aggressive it would try to get into the turning lane JIT.

BTW, funny thing on my freeway drive yesterday. FSD was literally trying to move to a different lane because the traffic was moving at my set max - 1/2 (68 on a 70 max). Not "chill" in my book.

What we really want it to do is .... figure out what is the best time / way to get into the correct lane. Bonus points on different behavior with different modes.

Basically get over to the correct lane well in advance if its empty / moving at the set max limit. No reason to wait. Also get over quickly if it is very busy (because otherwise you might miss). This is where the chill/aggressive behavior might be different - in aggressive it would try to get into the turning lane JIT.

BTW, funny thing on my freeway drive yesterday. FSD was literally trying to move to a different lane because the traffic was moving at my set max - 1/2 (68 on a 70 max). Not "chill" in my book.
I have been on only aggressive since that option came out... Love it ... but I don't think it means much anymore.

Reactions: Pdubs
V11.1 is the infotainment version. Go to your car's Controls page, then tap the Software tab. You'll see the various versions listed there, including FSD. A post just below yours shows what that version display looks like.
IMG_2661.jpeg

I find it odd that 2024.8.7 has no documented version of FSD associated with it when I look it up on Teslafi or the release notes. Lots of people have it, including over 1/4 of the cars tracked by Teslafi. I had thought they were all overseas but when I went to the distribution map, I see about 1/3 of the cars with it are in North America.

I would think it would at least have V11.4.9 but that isn't listed in the release notes. Teslafi release notes (and tesla release notes, for that matter) are not always accurate. In my case, I'm being offered 2023.44.30.30 and the release notes in the app say it is V11.4.9 but on teslafi it says V12.3.1. I believe in this case, teslafi is correct (the release notes they link to show V12.3.1.)

(Edited to correct V12.x.x)

So ~40 min drive with about 10 on Expressway which is not included into here due to version shenanigans between highway and local stacks.

No major issues. I would say about 50-60% less nags, making the experience more enjoyable. I hope this is here to stay and improve and wasn’t just baked in here to impress the people on one month free trial.

Questionable things:
  • Did not slow down or stop for a closed gate until last second
  • Stopping and creeping up to the line at stop signs, then creeping forward to actually see the intersection. We’ll call this double creeping.
  • Riding yellow center line behind slower vehicles, as if it’s trying to see around them
  • Gets up to speed limit, then slowly creeps up to the preset offset
  • Constant “toll booth detected” messages popping up on the dash (Model S)
  • Doesn’t do well staying in the center of the lane, might be the contributing cause to getting too close to curbs and medians while turning.
  • One time switched lanes with no turn signal in front of another vehicle
  • Did not go around a slow vehicle in the center lane on a 3 lane road without manually pressing a turn signal
  • Lane switch into turning lane hesitation was still there
  • Does not read speed limit signs on new roads, follows some not anywhere posted 35mph speed limit while the road is clearly indicating 55mph

Overall a huge improvement from v10 and v11. Finally something that’s worth testing on the daily. In my personal opinion, not ready for a wide release to those who have no previous FSDj experience or aren’t big tinkerers.

I’ll try auto on my 40 min drive back and see how it lives up to my personal speed expectations.

So you don't have any FSD on your car, just Autopilot. I thought Tesla had switched to putting it everywhere so people could subscribe. What car do you have?

TeslaFi isn't showing an FSD version for 2024.8.7, and I took that to mean that they hadn't figured it out yet. They need to put in an explicit "none" when they know.
All software version have a Beta and 24.8.x has 11.4.9. TeslaFi has just always been super slow in tagging them.

Unfortunately FSD is useless now for the final part of my commute to work I found out today after trying the newest version for on the way back to work (it did this on v11 as well so not version specific). Since it follows guidance and you can't modify the path it takes, There is a route it takes that normally I would go off to a service road like you're suppose to. But FSD takes the main highway which makes you cut over 3 lanes to get to the exit with maybe 500 feet so you'd have to AGGRESSIVELY cut over, If you miss that exit you're stuck on a road that only goes to NYC across the bridge maybe a 30 minute mishap if it happens when 2 minutes away from work. Green is the way FSD keeps trying to do the exit, Orange is how I normally do it to not miss the exit. Tricky spot even for me but unfortunately can't risk FSD taking me to NYC by missing it.

1711994753883.png

So you don't have any FSD on your car, just Autopilot. I thought Tesla had switched to putting it everywhere so people could subscribe. What car do you have?

TeslaFi isn't showing an FSD version for 2024.8.7, and I took that to mean that they hadn't figured it out yet. They need to put in an explicit "none" when they know.
I think nothing in red means no FSD, stating the obvious isn’t necessary lol