Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And don't forget the paper tape reader.

How can I forget that? The first true genius hack I ever saw perpetrated involved one of them: at Hollywood High circa 1973, we had two ASR-33's and they were in use between two classrooms. Each room had two phone jacks, so both terminals could be in either room.
When the teacher logged into the system, he always covered one hand with the other while typing a bunch of letters, so no one could see what he was typing.
One day, one of the other students demonstrated that he knew the password. WTF?
He came clean, though: when only one ASR-33 was in the room and the teacher was logging in, he plugged the other ASR-33 into the "wrong" jack in the other room--and turned on the paper tape punch. Of course it mirrored what was being typed in the other room, including the login password.

(BTW, Kevin Mitnick once hacked that teacher's personal phone line. But no, it wasn't Mitnick who figured out the paper tape hack.)

These past few posts really sound like a group of old buddies shooting the breeze, knowing that doom is right around the corner, but enjoying the moment. Old-time socialization.
Well, there’s not much more to say about 12.3.6 - speed control sucks and Alan’s not happy with how it stops. Once the come out with a new version we can actually start discussing again.

What is the purpose of the reader? Is it used to save a copy of the program code on the tape?
Whatever is sent to the terminal to print would simply also get punched onto the paper tape when the punch was turned on.
When you fed tape to the reader, it was as if you were typing that same information on the keyboard.

Reactions: rlsd
Whatever is sent to the terminal to print would simply also get punched onto the paper tape when the punch was turned on.
When you fed tape to the reader, it was as if you were typing that same information on the keyboard.
So, as an example: If one had a program listing, one would "print" it to the line printer with the paper tape punch enabled. It wasn't difficult to get a paper tape a couple of hundred feet long.

One could then feed the punched paper tape through a reader after typing a few commands, along the lines of, "copy everything about to come into this file name" and let it rip.

Paper tape readers and punches were much cheaper than those punch cards; the punch cards were all in EBSIDIC (if memory serves), but at least one could read what was on the cards. Assuming the ink hadn't run out.

My younger brother had an Altair with both a punch and a flying tape reader. It "flew" because a tape went through that thing at several feet per second. Never a whole lot of fun rolling it all up afterwards, but a lot better than typing the OS into the Altair. (The Altair didn't have any floppy interfaces: It was tape, the keyboard, or nothing. And back in the day we just had zeros, no ones, and went to school and back in the snow, uphill both ways!).

The Altair did a fair job at Conway's Game of Life, though.

I have a few customers that still use punch tape powered CNC machines. Remington Rand or Sperry, something like that. Old iron that still works.
Paper tape is impervious to EMP, unlike all those new-fangled nanoscale storage methods.

I plan to download the internet to save it before the big blast, but it may take some time.

(You know Elon actually sent me 12.4 a month ago, but my progress bar still only shows 1%. I blame the 110 baud Teletype setup that @lzolman, @LowlyOilBurner and @Tronguy convinced me to to get for my Prepper computing setup...)

damn it.....didn't realize everyone here was typing in from their wheelchairs :D
It's a side effect of the original/current cost of a Tesla, in the $50k range. Most younguns buy beaters, used cars a bunch of years old; it's typically old farts with substantial capital from all those working years that can buy new ones. Of course, once they buy a Tesla, they're not paying nearly as much for fuel to run around the landscape or maintenance, for that matter, which is attractive to the semi-fixed-income set.

I'll admit there's fewer of the white-haired set at Superchargers these days. Probably because Musk & Co. keep on dropping the real cost of their cars, making them cheap enough for the middle aged.

The real fun thing about us white-haired jackasses is that We've Seen It All. Making it a bit more difficult for those of us who've still got our wits to get scammed. Rivian and their run-downhill semi truck was a hoot, but one could see that one coming from a mile away. It was kind of obvious: The CEO was trying to portray himself as some kind of born-again Musk, but he clearly didn't have the technical chops. Fooled a lot of those young sneaker-clad Wall Streeters, though.

It's a side effect of the original/current cost of a Tesla, in the $50k range. Most younguns buy beaters, used cars a bunch of years old; it's typically old farts with substantial capital from all those working years that can buy new ones. Of course, once they buy a Tesla, they're not paying nearly as much for fuel to run around the landscape or maintenance, for that matter, which is attractive to the semi-fixed-income set.
with the $4k instant credit you can get a used Tesla now below $20k (or at least some people did earlier in the year).

I personally got one just above $20k. Blue AWD LR Model 3 that I got just a few months ago.

https://www.tesla.com/m3/order/5YJ3E1EA5KF417818 is a 2019 for $21,500 no tax credit involved.

I suspect there will be deals like that or better to be had later in the year as more cars come back from leases or otherwise get traded in.

At least there should be a small window before they all become robotaxis.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Paper tape is impervious to EMP, unlike all those new-fangled nanoscale storage methods.

I plan to download the internet to save it before the big blast, but it may take some time.

(You know Elon actually sent me 12.4 a month ago, but my progress bar still only shows 1%. I blame the 110 baud Teletype setup that @lzolman, @LowlyOilBurner and @Tronguy convinced me to to get for my Prepper computing setup...)
Hey! The other guys were the ones doing the 100 Baud stuff.

My initial job was to take 1.544 Mb/s T1 lines and make them dead cheap. Then, with the crowd, we worked our way up to cards that did 500 Gb/s on a single optical wavelength; current technology has 88 or so wavelengths on a single fiber and there's faster data rates coming.

Now, the weird thing: A full blown T1 cross-connect switch, useful in its day for CO interconnect, could terminate 2560 T1 lines. (I know, I helped design and build the thing..). It cost a certain amount and filled in seven bays of equipment. Bandwidth, net, of about 1.544e6*2560 = 3.95 Gb/s.

A full blown 7-bay optical cross connect system (they come bigger) costs about the same, might have 30 fibers going in and out. At 30*500Gb/s*88 = 1.32 Pb/s. Um. Slightly more bandwidth 😁 .

And you all wonder how all those cat videos get around? It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.

And now for the really weird bit. Those seven-bay, T1/E1 systems I worked on in the long-ago? There's a dozen or so of them still in service after all these years. They work, they don't die, much; no moving parts (never needed fans, convection cooling worked), and there's sufficient spares in storage, cheap, to make it not worthwhile ripping them out and replacing them. Sheesh.

Hahaha. I think the reason is not apocalypse survival, but rather the machines still can hold a tolerance, and can be used for simple machining processes. Or, the brand new DMG MORI’s/Mazaks/Okuma’s can be taken out with an EMP strike. Who knows?

Reactions: JHCCAZ
So, as an example: If one had a program listing, one would "print" it to the line printer with the paper tape punch enabled. It wasn't difficult to get a paper tape a couple of hundred feet long.

One could then feed the punched paper tape through a reader after typing a few commands, along the lines of, "copy everything about to come into this file name" and let it rip.

Paper tape readers and punches were much cheaper than those punch cards; the punch cards were all in EBSIDIC (if memory serves), but at least one could read what was on the cards. Assuming the ink hadn't run out.

My younger brother had an Altair with both a punch and a flying tape reader. It "flew" because a tape went through that thing at several feet per second. Never a whole lot of fun rolling it all up afterwards, but a lot better than typing the OS into the Altair. (The Altair didn't have any floppy interfaces: It was tape, the keyboard, or nothing. And back in the day we just had zeros, no ones, and went to school and back in the snow, uphill both ways!).

The Altair did a fair job at Conway's Game of Life, though.
Wow, this post brings back memories. But I'm actually working with those for a talk, so I'll resist. Except to boast I scored an 8K RAM card or something (which was serious in those days) from Processor Technology for writing an 8080 machine language version of Conways's Game of Life that ran on nothing but an IMSAI 8080's front panel switches, front panel LEDs, and their VDM-1 video card. Those were such fun days.

Wow, this post brings back memories. But I'm actually working with those for a talk, so I'll resist. Except to boast I scored an 8K RAM card or something (which was serious in those days) from Processor Technology for writing an 8080 machine language version of Conways's Game of Life that ran on nothing but an IMSAI 8080's front panel switches, front panel LEDs, and their VDM-1 video card. Those were such fun days.
I remember playing leisure suit Larry on a compaq 286slt, not quite as cool as the 8088 stuff, but I’m younger. Still cool.

Rivian and their run-downhill semi truck was a hoot, but one could see that one coming from a mile away. It was kind of obvious: The CEO was trying to portray himself as some kind of born-again Musk, but he clearly didn't have the technical chops. Fooled a lot of those young sneaker-clad Wall Streeters, though.
That was Nikola.