Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you spill anything on your seat recently? Means the seat sensor or something else involved in the restraint system is messed up (there may be specifics of the error message in the service menu that narrow it down).

if the sensor dries out it might go away depending on how sticky a substance you spilled. Or the sensor is broken. Or it is something else.

When I had this it was because my very very bad very small dog tinkled on the passenger seat and I didn’t notice right away. Very sad. Need to go through the service process of removing the seat from the car and replacing the bottom seat cover (and clean the foam), at some point. It looks pretty straightforward and bonus is the worn seat bottom cover can be swapped out. Warning went away once it dried out though (wasn’t a lot of pee, just the perfect amount).
Thanks, Alan. No known spills/pee but gives me some direction.

From the SAE document: (https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/54/02/2d5919914cfe9549e79721b12e66/j3016-202104.pdf)

(some paraphrasing done for brevity)

Essentially they require the fallback user be available to take over "within sufficient time to respond appropriately" but make no comment as to what that time frame is. They also talk about the user being 'receptive to evident system failures" that the system may not recognize yet include remote control as an acceptable means of fallback support meaning the fallback user would have no way of knowing about such system failures.

Basically, the '10 seconds' everyone keeps citing here is a completely made up number and the SAE document itself is a bit contradictory as to what the requirements are. Of note, there is no mention of driver monitoring or of what kinds of activities may or may not be appropriate.
I was quite confused by the SAE wording for a while, as it seemed to me that L3 should allow catnaps because I'm pretty sure I could be awake and competent to take over within about 3 seconds of being alerted to do so, even if asleep initially. But I respect the "no sleeping" rule for L3 now, it would be just too potentially messy otherwise.

I was quite confused by the SAE wording for a while, as it seemed to me that L3 should allow catnaps because I'm pretty sure I could be awake and competent to take over within about 3 seconds of being alerted to do so, even if asleep initially. But I respect the "no sleeping" rule for L3 now, it would be just too potentially messy otherwise.
Agreed, although could a remote user connect to the car and figure out what was going on any faster than someone that just woke up from a nap? Probably not but that also makes the assumption that all level 3 systems and uses are equivalent. I think initially when the need to intervene is more likely a 'no sleeping' policy makes sense. Regardless, any system should be able to safely stop the car if the driver doesn't respond for whatever reason.

Basically, the '10 seconds' everyone keeps citing here is a completely made up number
Speed limits are also made up numbers...
I think 10 seconds is the UNECE regulation.
They also talk about the user being 'receptive to evident system failures" that the system may not recognize yet include remote control as an acceptable means of fallback support meaning the fallback user would have no way of knowing about such system failures.
I think this refers to things like the car being on fire. Which should be detectable by someone in the car but not by the car itself.

So does that explain this message? All seems right. Well, I haven't yet tried crashing into a deer at 80 mph. .

I literally just got that fixed under warranty. My 2019 Model 3 started inconsistently throwing that fault - the service notes say they found the seat was pinching the wiring harness for the seat belt pretensioner and they replaced it for free (out of warranty by a little bit too).

I'd suggest putting a service request, especially if you're under 60k miles and the supplemental restraint system warranty should cover it.

If you go into service mode it may show more details about what component specifically has the fault, if you're curious.

It's probably a good idea to fix it. Seat belt pretensioner failure in a crash would make the car less safety (maybe a lot less safe, I'm not sure)

Essentially they require the fallback user be available to take over "within sufficient time to respond appropriately" but make no comment as to what that time frame is.

as it seemed to me that L3 should allow catnaps because I'm pretty sure I could be awake and competent to take over within about 3 seconds of being alerted to do so, even if asleep initially

Oh, not me. It took me 15 minutes to get out of bed this morning.

Joking aside, I'm highly skeptical we ever see wide rollouts of L3 systems with these short 10-15 second takeover times. Humans are bad drivers already under normal conditions, let alone acquiring situational awareness within a few seconds. Slightly more likely, IMO, is a system with a strong enough safety record that the manufacturer would be comfortable with no driverless operation on highway and the only L3 handbacks are triggered at off-ramps where there is no time pressure.

I literally just got that fixed under warranty. My 2019 Model 3 started inconsistently throwing that fault - the service notes say they found the seat was pinching the wiring harness for the seat belt pretensioner and they replaced it for free (out of warranty by a little bit too).

I'd suggest putting a service request, especially if you're under 60k miles and the supplemental restraint system warranty should cover it.

If you go into service mode it may show more details about what component specifically has the fault, if you're curious.

It's probably a good idea to fix it. Seat belt pretensioner failure in a crash would make the car less safety (maybe a lot less safe, I'm not sure)
Thank you, good advice, will do......

One addition here about the no safety regressions, they are just double confirming that and then they are good to go. OMG, this is it, the first 9.

And much smoother! Remarkable. I thought there was a distinct group of people here who said it had no smoothness issues.

IMG_1256.jpeg

And no I don’t think it will be smooth and I don’t think it will be particularly good, but I am betting on the first 9 this time.

Though that is extraordinarily dumb (it’s me after all), because past experience has shown that none of the point releases result in any changes to driving behavior (it’s not retrained AFAICT). So really it should be 12.5 which does it. Though maybe they can prompt-engineer it to make it “Faster” “Make it really fast”, etc. since that is all that is needed. 3-second crossings should do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kabin
Just for science, been experimenting how FSDS misreads certain small road signs for speed limit signs. 45 mph speed limit drops to 20 at a certain sign 100% consistently.

Put tape at different places on the zero to see if that would throw it off so FSDS would ignore the sign. No joy, speed would drop still, usually to 30, but varied.

Suddenly, last 2 times it has ignored the sign meaning speed limit properly remained at 45 mph!!!!

Perhaps there was a mapping change I was not aware of just recently? Or….. 🤔 somehow FSDS has the ability to make small adaptations? Seems very unlikely.

Now I have to remove the tape to complete the experiment before 12.4.2 drops to observe how it reacts. If it is mapping then it will remain fixed, if it reverts to 20 mph at the sign then that will be very interesting.

Perhaps there was a mapping change I was not aware of just recently? Or….. 🤔 somehow FSDS has the ability to make small adaptations? Seems very unlikely.

I think there may be some sort of automated or rapid map adjustment mechanisms. On V12 I've had a couple of incorrect lane choices that have occurred exactly once. One mistake, one disengagement and voice report, and then it's never made the mistake again.