Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 1-2 months between significant releases it looks like.

At this point v12.4 seems potentially stalled. It went out to internal testing right about two weeks ago, and no whispers of wider release since then. Makes me think something must of come up in early testing. Maybe they've bailed on that release in favor of 12.5 and we should expect something near the end of June.

v12 has just barely hit the 6 month mark (since there very first public release to a small group of influencers, back in November).

I'm... whelmed... I think. Certainly not blown away by either the progress rate or the overall experience at this point on end-2-end AI 6 months in. I'm not disappointed per se, because it's raised the ceiling for for FSD performance so dramatically (see construction zones, passing bikes, and unmarked narrow or dirt roads). But not overwhelmed either like so people are. The persistent annoyances with inconsistent lane centering and following distances, the nearly unusable stop sign handling, jerky acceleration/deceleration, and bad habit of cutting nerve rackingly close to curbs all make it a lot less chill than I'd hoped for.

At this point v12.4 seems potentially stalled. It went out to internal testing right about two weeks ago, and no whispers of wider release since then. Makes me think something must of come up in early testing. Maybe they've bailed on that release in favor of 12.5 and we should expect something near the end of June.
how does this work? Is 12.5 an extension of 12.4 and those before it or is it essentially a new build from the ground up that wouldn’t necessarily contain the issues found in 12.4.

I guess you are planning on improvement between the 12.3.1 and 12.4.1 release dates?

I would assume 12.5 can not be expected before end of July. And will also be woefully insufficient.

On the plus side, I didn't see any tailgating or turn right to turn left. Overall not too shabby.
I didn’t watch the video. Thanks for the descriptions.

It sounds awful, we are definitely screwed and the whole enterprise is hopeless.

Time for a rewrite.

I am trying to put a positive spin on this. Mostly as you know I am quite optimistic.

Last edited:
Last night I was getting false emergency lights warning every 4-5 minutes. Before this occasion I saw this happen maybe 2 or 3 times in all my time with FSD but last night was strange. Seems like I'm on the old stack at the time this happens. Hope it goes away for good in 12.5 once the stacks are merged.

'23 MYLR with on 2024.3.25

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
how does this work? Is 12.5 an extension of 12.4 and those before it or is it essentially a new build from the ground up that wouldn’t necessarily contain the issues found in 12.4.

I don't think we know exactly, but regardless if they save problems in 12.4 is possible that either a) 12.5 already addressed those or b) they can do some more work on 12.5 to incorporate fixes.

I guess you are planning on improvement between the 12.3.1 and 12.4.1 release dates?

I would assume 12.5 can not be expected before end of July. And will also be woefully insufficient.

It sounds awful, we are definitely screwed and the whole enterprise is hopeless.

Time for a rewrite.

I am trying to put a positive spin on this. Mostly as you know I am quite optimistic.
Great positive spin. You must be a hoot at parties.

This FSD release timeline table has been linked before but it helps give a better perspective on how long previous v12 builds have taken. Likely longer between builds than most people remember.

Based on extrapolation from this timeline (since V10's release), I'm looking forward to V13 this November! Or next January, depending on how you choose to interpret the very limited (3) datapoints.

Time for a rewrite.

It's a big task but after all these years it's sad if it still only performs like an unrefined proof of concept. Elon and the team may have run out of things to blame it on.

12.5 is a new build started after 12.4 started both built on prior data with similar or even exact same methods but with 12.5 having much more compute to process it. Entirely possible for it to contain similar issues but it is fresh computation so it could be entirely different as well.

12.5 is a new build started after 12.4 started both built on prior data with similar or even exact same methods but with 12.5 having much more compute to process it. Entirely possible for it to contain similar issues but it is fresh computation so it could be entirely different as well.
@gottagofast , what say you?

"Well, I'm still willing to marry you." - Danny Noonan
So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I’m a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald… striking.

So, I’m on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one – big hitter, the Lama – long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga… gunga, gunga-galunga.

So we finish eighteen and he’s gonna stiff me. And I say, “Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.” And he says, “Oh, uh, there won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.”

So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice. — Carl Spackler
1210152230-4e262a9c444c30ee6914b3fbad00e657.jpg