Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, when you car is doing something that nobody else is complaining about.
I'd like a clear sign that it would be worth my time to recalibrate, but this doesn't help me because (a) 2, 3, 4 and 5 (below) are pretty common complaints, and (b) somebody may be complaining about something because he or she also needs to recalibrate.
  1. Slamming on the brakes for railroad crossings
  2. Turning too close to medians on left hand turns
  3. Turning too close to the right hand side of the road on right turns
  4. sometimes riding the rumble strip on the right
  5. sometimes riding the rumble strip on the left
I bet the car could do a diagnostic and suggest recalibration.

Here's a question: if the cameras aren't calibrated wouldn't you expect 4 OR 5 and not both?

I'd like a clear sign that it would be worth my time to recalibrate, but this doesn't help me because (a) 2, 3, 4 and 5 (below) are pretty common complaints, and (b) somebody may be complaining about something because he or she also needs to recalibrate.

Here's a question: if the cameras aren't calibrated wouldn't you expect 4 OR 5 and not both?
All those have been mentioned, a calibration can't hurt. I always clean the cameras first, then a reboot. If I am experiencing stuff others aren't then I calibrate.
Which isn't a big deal if you drive any highways. Can knock it out in 20 minutes or so.
4 or 5 both could be a need for calibration. V12 likes to wobble.
Check on highways, still V11. It should stay dead in the middle of the lane, except when passing a large vehicle. If it isn't, calibrate.

Reactions: LSDTester#1

I would also expect inaccurate distance and positioning in the visualization as a necessary condition of miscalibration. To anyone who has benefited from a re-calibration, were you seeing issues with the visualization?

It does seem like it would be fantastically difficult to get any improvement in FSD performance with more training. It was definitely a bit surreal to see discussion about rapid improvements with more training.

Kudos to the team for trying. I suspect they will be successful in modest improvements at some point in time.
My bet is you'll see some good improvement after several point releases. Dirty Tesla, AI Driver and Omar have all said they see improvements just need to smooth out the rough edges. Two I've noticed so far but need confirmation are faster parking assist and recognition of closed road signs, both on Dirty Tesla's drive. Omar's passenger also stated she hadn't notice lane wobbling but of course we have seen that from other drives so we'll have to wait and see. Maybe lane wobblng isn't solved but improvement would be encouraging. Also Less obvious but if confirmed would be very important seems to be faster decision making at Stop Signs. I'm sure there are others once we get to drive a v12 point release ourselves. Really need to see improvement in school zones, school busses, speed mgmt etc.

How many miles am I likely to have to actually drive the car (oh, the horror!) to recalibrate?
Depends, could be 15 miles, or 30. Highways are the best place to recalibrate.
Pull over right before getting on one, then start the recalibration.
It first recalibrates standard autopilot, then it reminds you it is still recalibrating for Fsd.

• Helpful
Reactions: LSDTester#1
I would also expect inaccurate distance and positioning in the visualization as a necessary condition of miscalibration. To anyone who has benefited from a re-calibration, were you seeing issues with the visualization?
My situation was different. But it helped me when I got problem after I used v12.2.1 one day without problem. I posted earlier.

Dirty Tesla, AI Driver and Omar have all said they see improvements just need to smooth out the rough edges.
How many times do we have to hear this only to be fairly disappointed? I am not saying we haven't seen improvements - we have with every release of course. But it's never been transformational, even with v12 (which does drive less robotically, but with a fairly similar intervention rate).

To drive interventions down, Tesla must execute on:
1) Reading signs correctly.
2) Getting speed control correct.
3) Getting stopping behavior correct.
4) Getting turning behavior correct.
5) Getting lane selection correct without decision wobble.
6) Get unprotected lefts working to the first or second 9.

Those are the key items which are likely highest in the Pareto.

In the end I don't know whether it's doing that and I haven't watched any videos yet to judge for myself, been too busy to pay close attention. We know perfectly well now that a detailed watching of all the videos at normal speed with the commentary turned off (ideally with sound on but talking off), with a very very careful examination of the regen bar and the speed, is the only thing that can be done to assess, since the YouTubers don't discuss how well it works. Only Chuck has attempted to include the acceleration & jerk display, which is insufficient, but no other YouTuber has put a lot of work into providing that key metric front and center (should be plastered on top of the video as an overlay). People like to talk about how smoothness is only an issue for me, and then there is nothing but praise for how much smoother each release is and whenever Tesla highlights it in a subsequent release, neglecting to realize that it isn’t really plausible for something to be smoother if it was already smooth. We all know what this means of course.

When are they going to fix things like lane positioning? There is a very specific place you have to be on a turn like this, and it can’t do it and I usually have to disengage here if I have no lead traffic and then there is a sign of someone coming up from behind (have to watch mirror very carefully while it attempts the turn) because it can’t get it right (too far to the right making it difficult though easily possible for people behind to squeeze by when turning right (so they don’t or are annoyed and confused)).

Will they fix it? Used to be too far to the left, obstructing left-turning traffic. It is obvious where to go and it seems to always get it right when there is a lead car (which of course virtually always gets it right).

Last edited:
How many miles am I likely to have to actually drive the car (oh, the horror!) to recalibrate?
I started it twice recently. The first time I was over 100 miles and stuck on 99%. I cancelled and started over and it took like 75 miles. Both were the same roads but the first was at least one rainy drive which I think caused issues.

I don’t remember exactly, as I was too busy trying to deal with the car driving like a drunken teenager. Though I expect if the visualization had looked too out of the ordinary, I would have noticed it.

• Helpful
Reactions: cyborgLIS
If anything I'd guess a mind blowing 12.4.2 release in two weeks and this time it really should be called v13.
Then repeat with 12.4.3, 12.4.4, 12.4.5, and we'll get 12.4.6 in July. But it will be
💯

I don't know of anyone except the poster who says v11 is better than v12.
1717984650932.jpeg

Attachments

• 1717984524450.jpeg
    1717984524450.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: cyborgLIS
We know perfectly well now that a detailed watching of all the videos at normal speed with the commentary turned off (ideally with sound on but talking off), with a very very careful examination of the regen bar and the speed, is the only thing that can be done to assess

This is very very true. I watched a lot of FSD Beta videos before I actually got FSD Beta. It took actually driving around with it to realize:
- what looks fine in a video can feel very much not fine
- jerky acceleration, hesitations, and braking are not obvious in videos. It's super obvious when you're in the car.

As these code develop cycles are running in parallel and seems Elon states these 12.X are big steps vs the 12.X.Y for the Ys are bug fixed and features
With that said, 12.4.1 is a new parallel dev code base but as it .1 it is immature vs 12.3.6 which is more mature
Makes sense that we now have to wait for 12.4.X to mature and get as good as the old parallel dev code base of 12.3 got
Exciting to be this involved with code as important as FSD making history
Looking forward to upgrading all the way through to 12.4.6 which should be a rock star, but 12.5.1 will start the process all over again

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I remember watching a deer run across the width Route 22 in the NJ - it made a spectacular jump at the end to clear the Jeep driving in front of us
Yep. People don't get that the woods up and down the East Coast are truly, duly, filled with deer. And if one gets up to Boston, it's not that unusual to have moose wandering down the roads, in Boston, even. There's no serious predators these days hunting them (other than the random bear), besides humans, and, what with the human population density, it's furbotten in most places to do gun/arrow hunting.