Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course not. First, if all you're thinking about by using "junk" is the nag then you're missing the big picture of how well FSD drives now. Far better than Tesla's 5 year old video. Second, eliminating nags is simple. I just lightly hold the wheel and I never get nags. Looking forward to 12.4.x.
Why is it so hard to realize FSD is no longer junk? Needs improvement of course but it's come a long way.

View attachment 1055811
So today my car drove home during rush hour - a combination of side roads, trunk roads and interstates with congested traffic. 43 minutes, 22 miles. Exactly zero safety interventions. I think I tapped the accelerator 3 times and used the turn signal to switch lanes on the interstate once. All of those were strictly personal preference issues; there were no safety concerns what so ever. So yeah, it's total junk. :rolleyes:

So today my car drove home during rush hour - a combination of side roads, trunk roads and interstates with congested traffic. 43 minutes, 22 miles. Exactly zero safety interventions. I think I tapped the accelerator 3 times and used the turn signal to switch lanes on the interstate once. All of those were strictly personal preference issues; there were no safety concerns what so ever. So yeah, it's total junk. :rolleyes:
You can have your own opinion. What's next? Are you going to argue with me that my favorite color should not be my favorite color?

You can have your own opinion. What's next? Are you going to argue with me that my favorite color should not be my favorite color?
An argument about a favorite (or rather the "best" or "worst"/"junk" color) has few objective criteria that can be used to argue either way (although there are colors that relatively few people would choose as favorite and would instead chose as least favorite, for example brown).
color-preferences-overall-1.png

But in the argument above, whether current FSD is junk compared to the video can have objective criteria, for example:
1) How would FSD today do in the same trip under similar conditions?
2) Would FSD today require an intervention from the driver?
3) Does FSD today take into account more things than it did in the video?
4) Does FSD today have a better UI (for example are there more detailed visualizations available)?
5) Can FSD today pull into a parking spot (or at least to an area outside of travel lanes), instead of stopping in what appears to be a no stopping zone in the travel lane of a stop sign?
6) Can FSD today start the trip from a parking spot, especially deeper in the parking lot, instead of almost at the exit?

Last edited:
May have been clipped in what was posted. I didn’t watch the video, but this is a key difference:
View attachment 1055612

Currently, we have to be doing something.
That message is not part of the 2019 video. That message was in the 2016 video. By 2019, they already removed all the messages in the order page that suggest L3+ functionality, and obviously they would not add messages in the promo videos to contradict that change. By then, it was pretty clear the product they have is a door-to-door L2 system, not anything L3+.
https://www.tesla.com/videos/autopilot-self-driving-hardware-neighborhood-long

Ironically if you bought prior to 2019, you were actually promised more in the order page. I guess the FSD lawsuit will see how that plays out.

An argument about a favorite (or rather the "best" color) has few objective criteria that can be used to argue either way.

But in the argument above, whether current FSD is junk compared to the video can have objective criteria, for example:
4) Does FSD today have a better UI (for example are there more detailed visualizations available)?
5) Can FSD today pull into a parking spot (or at least to an area outside of travel lanes), instead of stopping in what appears to be a no stopping zone in the travel lane of a stop sign?
6) Can FSD today start the trip from a parking spot, especially deeper in the parking lot, instead of almost at the exit?
It's once again personal opinion and personal preference. You might value those things, while someone might value convenience and annoyance. The annoying factors of FSD to me outweigh whatever it can do better than the 5 year old video. But you having a different opinion doesn't void my opinion. Just like my opinion doesn't void your opinion. If you started to refer to it as Gold, I wouldn't get my panties up in a bunch like the people here do when I call it Junk.

Reactions: LSDTester#1
An argument about a favorite (or rather the "best" color) has few objective criteria that can be used to argue either way.

The software in the video was L3. :p

It's once again personal opinion and personal preference. You might value those things, while someone might value convenience and annoyance. The annoying factors of FSD to me outweigh whatever it can do better than the 5 year old video. But you having a different opinion doesn't void my opinion. Just like my opinion doesn't void your opinion. If you started to refer to it as Gold, I wouldn't get my panties up in a bunch like the people here do when I call it Junk.
Sure, but they can disagree with your opinion (even strongly) and list reasons and examples why they do, which is what people appear to be doing.

Sure, but they can disagree with your opinion (even strongly) and list reasons and examples why they do, which is what people appear to be doing.
They're allowed to disagree with it, but telling me that I can't call it junk is kind of funny, I can call it whatever I want to call it based on my opinion of it. Just like I can't tell sleepydoc that he can't call Omar "Daddy"

That message is not part of the 2019 video. That message was in the 2016 video. By 2019, they already removed all the messages in the order page that suggest L3+ functionality, and obviously they would not add messages in the promo videos to contradict that change. By then, it was pretty clear the product they have is a door-to-door L2 system, not anything L3+.
https://www.tesla.com/videos/autopilot-self-driving-hardware-neighborhood-long

Ironically if you bought prior to 2019, you were actually promised more in the order page. I guess the FSD lawsuit will see how that plays out.
Ah. Clearly I am not an expert on the misleading Tesla video lore. I did not realize there were two of them! Impressive.

I was aware of the March 2019 strategic retreat.

They're allowed to disagree with it, but telling me that I can't call it junk is kind of funny, I can call it whatever I want to call it based on my opinion of it. Just like I can't tell sleepydoc that he can't call Omar "Daddy"
You can certainly call it whatever you like but it really devalues any of your input. Basically comes across as childish. “I know you are but what Junk!” Ok that certainly adds value to the conversation? Not. Simply barking junk to feel heard or funny eliminates your opinion to most Anyone reading. I know it does for me.

• Funny
Reactions: SSDTester#1
You can certainly call it whatever you like but it really devalues any of your input. Basically comes across as childish. “I know you are but what Junk!” Ok that certainly adds value to the conversation? Not. Simply barking junk to feel heard or funny eliminates your opinion to most Anyone reading. I know it does for me.
99% of my input on here is junk, I don't get your point LOL

That statement is on point!
To be honest, I'm only here for the entertainment. The FSD versions get stale super quick and the updates come out extremely slow. After the first couple of days after an update, maybe even first week, everything else is just repetition of everyone having different experience that does nothing to enhance my FSD experience (do a two wheel reset, recalibrate your cameras, try driving with one finger touching the tip of your nose).

Reactions: LSDTester#1
It is. As should be yours
But I wore a red shirt the other day while driving, and I think it looked really good on me, it brought out my eyes. I think you devalue your posts by saying your favorite color is blue because obviously blue might've been cool 5 years ago, but today red is way more superior.

What works best for me is just a quick tap of the brake pedal while still rolling and then turn the wheel after that.
Sounds complicated. What works best for me is to tap the stalk up or down. Reminds me of the million dollar pen Nasa built to work in zero G's - Russia used a pencil. 🤔

This (and things like a yoke) have a great geek factor that we love. But I'd regularly loan my car to a responsible adult family member - I'd rather NOT have to learn how to drive a Tesla specifically on my car. I can't even imagine my wife driving stalk-less even once. But part of me wishes I had it.