Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an interesting drive. Started in Brookhaven/North Buckhead and drove down Peachtree Rd/St through Buckhead and into Midtown down to 14th St and then turned west across The Connector and then the up to Atlantic Station. Had 0 disengagements with a few interventions including 1 signal to force out of a turn lane (my pet peeve on 12.3.x). Traffic was normal/heavy but no gridlocked areas. While happy with the drive the BIG surprise was my car's efficiency. In the 9 miles I got an incredible near 5 miles per kWh. I can't remember EVER seeing efficiency that high especially on FSD.

View attachment 1056769
I couldn’t get 205 in my MSP even if I was being towed.

I couldn’t get 205 in my MSP even if I was being towed.
FWIW, on the last drive from Boston to NJ, the M3 LR was getting 220 W-hr/mile or so, better than the rated 260.
  • Warm temperatures: check
  • Max speed below 70: check
  • Three or four traffic jams/slowdowns with speeds less than 50: check
No surprise, but nice nonetheless.

The regen indicator is kind of cool information, but I don’t see that is has much practical use.
you certainly don't need it to drive. Since they added the ability to blend the brakes with 1 pedal driving I'll use it in colder weather to try and maximize regeneration but it's not required. My complaint is they had no real need or reason to move it other than to mess with things. Had they left it at the top it would have been just fine.

Time to recalibrate the cameras
And top up the blinker fluid while I'm at it 😂

The service menu explicitly cautions not to recalibrate the cameras unless the windshield or cameras have been replaced, but I just went ahead and did it anyway, because I suppose it can't hurt. (And I'd like to get it out of the way before v12.4.2 drops.)

Meanwhile, here is the offending curb in question. The dark red color and lack of street-lighting makes it much less visible at night, which is partly why I suspect the perception network had a problem seeing it. Once the camera calibration finishes I'll go back and give it another try. (And disengage if it looks like it's going to hit again!)

tesla_curb.jpg

Last edited:
And top up the blinker fluid while I'm at it 😂

The service menu explicitly cautions not to recalibrate the cameras unless the windshield or cameras have been replaced, but I just went ahead and did it anyway, because I suppose it can't hurt. (And I'd like to get it out of the way before v12.4.2 drops.) Meanwhile, here is the offending curb in question. The dark red color and lack of street-lighting makes it much less visible at night, which is partly why I suspect the perception network had a problem seeing it. Once the camera calibration finishes I'll go back and give it another try. (And disengage if it looks like it's going to hit again!)

View attachment 1056826
it appears your car was not the only one that found the curb!

Maybe this is hyperbole and I'm not getting it. I'm taking these words literally, so I have to ask. Is the car actually flashing FSD(S) alert words "take controll" when FSD(S) is not engaged?

Seems, hyperbole aside, yours is a case of lane departure warnings. You don't want to, but try Alan's suggestion just to see if a turn signal makes the car more at ease. At least maybe you'll understand the car a bit more.

My 2022 MSLR USS non FSD(S) beeps as I back into my garage. These are warnings of a possible collision. But I literally tell it, its OK ... I'll take care of you ❤️.
Yes. Since the first v12 update. Sometimes right after I had to disengage from FSD because it was doing something dangerous. And it’s quite startling because the danger is usually from merging into lanes badly, and then the car is beeping madly like it’s going to explode.

Other times it feels like a lazy swat. Like a minute after I disengage it remembers, “oh, I wanted to scream.”

And I go onto YouTube and see the “zero disengage” videos. I swear each car has a unique execution of this NN software. FSD on a straight freeway is fine, but FSD does badly in town, in my car, right now.

I noticed something weird in 2024.14.9 last night and this morning: Sometimes when FSD is making a turn it will slide the repeater camera either down or to the right. In both cases that it slid it to the right the browser was in use, so it slid it over the top of the browser. Maybe it is sliding it to where it thinks your eyes are looking?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I noticed something weird in 2024.14.9 last night and this morning: Sometimes when FSD is making a turn it will slide the repeater camera either down or to the right. In both cases that it slid it to the right the browser was in use, so it slid it over the top of the browser. Maybe it is sliding it to where it thinks your eyes are looking?
Were any menus or apps opened or closed when the camera moved? It will try to place the camera in your preferred location unless something it deems higher priority occupies that space. For example it will block the navigation if that is your preferred camera location, but it will slide over if a menu is open in that space.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Were any menus or apps opened or closed when the camera moved? It will try to place the camera in your preferred location unless something it deems higher priority occupies that space. For example it will block the navigation if that is your preferred camera location, but it will slide over if a menu is open in that space.
Nope. The camera came up in the preferred location, and then slid to the new location a few seconds later, with no interaction/touches on the screen.

Were you making a 3g Bat Turn? Can only assume it was moved to clear open browser.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Yes. Since the first v12 update. Sometimes right after I had to disengage from FSD because it was doing something dangerous. And it’s quite startling because the danger is usually from merging into lanes badly, and then the car is beeping madly like it’s going to explode.

Other times it feels like a lazy swat. Like a minute after I disengage it remembers, “oh, I wanted to scream.”

And I go onto YouTube and see the “zero disengage” videos. I swear each car has a unique execution of this NN software. FSD on a straight freeway is fine, but FSD does badly in town, in my car, right now.
Did you recalibrate the cameras after v12 update?