Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Self calibration is rather difficult when the car is not moving. Agree it should in time suggest it but to have it do it randomly disabling FSD would put people in an angry tail spin.
Especially @lzolman. ... poor guy has driven hundreds of miles, still can't get recalibration to work and has had no Fsd forever now.

Self calibration is rather difficult when the car is not moving. Agree it should in time suggest it but to have it do it randomly disabling FSD would put people in an angry tail spin.
I don’t think it’ll even be a suggestion because they won’t put the onus on robotaxi passengers, it would need to be automatic and there would need to be checks in place to ensure they’re always good to go before even picking up passengers otherwise it would be a huge liability to operate with stuff out of calibration.

Even now I don’t think it actually matters, if it was at all necessary then Tesla would make it automatic because the company’s future is almost entirely riding on this stuff right now. Or if it is necessary and isn’t automatic, that’s really bad design for the thing the company believes its success hinges upon.

Especially @lzolman. ... poor guy has driven hundreds of miles, still can't get recalibration to work and has had no Fsd forever now.
Thank you, it's good to get some sympathy. After I posted a few times in the app post-service to mention the fix didn't work, Tesla closed the service request without so much as a reply. The mobile tech from Peabody, MA who replaced the parts did see my comments and called me to ask about it, and said he'd elevate the issue, so hopefully something comes of that. If I don't hear back Monday I'll just do a new service request. Sigh.

Thank you, it's good to get some sympathy. After I posted a few times in the app post-service to mention the fix didn't work, Tesla closed the service request without so much as a reply. The mobile tech from Peabody, MA who replaced the parts did see my comments and called me to ask about it, and said he'd elevate the issue, so hopefully something comes of that. If I don't hear back Monday I'll just do a new service request. Sigh.
Good to hear some progress, just don't flip it over like Piano guy while your waiting!

Interesting take that Chuck Cook agrees with: (click the show more)...
Well we ARE going to get 12.5 before the end of June so why send 12.4.x for just a measly week? 🤪 🤣 🤣 🤣

Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 6.11.17 PM.png

Gonna go off on a tangent here about how people almost certainly shouldn’t focus much on camera calibration.

FSD is everything to Tesla now, the key to Tesla reaching many many trillions of dollars in valuation will not hinge upon needing to hit an extra button in some menu. If camera calibration was ever that important or necessary, Tesla would build the system such that it either calibrates with every new update or better yet goes through a self-calibration every time you start the system. If and when robotaxis ever arrive, I imagine that is exactly what will happen and there will need to be processes built in that ensure the cameras are always properly calibrated like pilots going through all the pre-flight checks before moving down the runway — except without needing a human to do it, because autonomous robotaxis.

Right now if camera calibration was necessary to ensure good experiences for users and therefore subscription revenue, it would not be an extra step.
So then what's the solution? FSD is unreliable and not worth the cost. At best it's still a gimmick right now. I'm actually pretty bummed because there was so much hype around v12 and video input.

I'm not going to let my car ride on the middle lane markings....****ing stupid and dangerous.....0/10000 Elon.

He isn't getting anything, his car is stuck in recalibration mode and can't get it finished. Drove hundreds of miles and nothing. Now he has no Fsd thanks to you and @JulienW telling him to keep recalibrating. Way to go boys!
Not me. In just a couple of days I will be a FULL 5 years only doing the original calibration. Not a SINGLE recalibration ever. [rambling OT]Oddly this is now the longest I have ever owned a single car (other than a work Explorer). I always stupidly bought a new car every 2 years until I bought a Honda 2000 and kept for almost 4 years.

Was kinda itching for a Highland Performance BUT 2 things are stopping me:

• Osborn Effect: Don't want HW4 with AI5 coming in a year and likely a HUGH improvement
  • The Performance offers 0 benefit to FSD driving and in fact offers more problems

So I think I'm going to stay smart and keep my OLD (2019) 3 at least 1 more year.

EDIT: Went back and looked and it was actually May 30, 2019 when I traded my ELR in.

IMG_0513.jpeg

Last edited:
Not me. In just a couple of days I will be a FULL 5 years only doing the original calibration. Not a SINGLE recalibration ever.
My wife's '18 M3 has never had a recalibration. It sure as hell isn't getting one now. Of course she never activates her FSD... but I might want to some day! For the time being it would be the only way for me to try out new FSD features (if they ever release an update...)

Really… No news about 12.4.X this weekend even going out to employees??

Hoping at least by the end of the year they have the V12 kinks ironed out, along with adding ASS/Banish and merged city/highway stacks and begin moving in the right direction with this version. With the announcement of Robotaxi coming in August this is the year for significant progress.

This is the week I said 4.2 was coming
.....and so far your prediction record is = to Elon's. 🤔 🤣 I suspect we will see 12.4.2 this week BUT it will be employee only with a small chance influencers get it by the weekend. But lotto odds of any of us (other than maybe you🤪) regulars driving it for at least a week or 2.

I wouldn't be surprised at this point if 12.4.x wasn't skipped over for us completely.