Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The turn signal flashes are very close to the side cameras themselves, and cause a ton of glare, so they obscure the view as much as they reveal.
This is a camera unit defect. Discussed elsewhere.

A lot of back and forth on this topic. To me it is fairly evident the root cause is the incorrect turning trajectory as a general rule. Naturally on some corner geometries that is going to lead to automatic curbing. It’s possible that is even when perception gets it right.

" I'M NOT DRIVING!
But I'm paying very close attention to what happens..."
91JlcZ7UzqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Maybe that is exactly what they were thinking. People were making the screen full screen after enabling FSD, so Taka made it an option to decrease distraction.
Yeah that would be great.

But just odd to not revert it afterwards. Or provide that option! I mean I guess you can have too many options but now I am forced to just turn it off. I would probably use it (maybe) if it would revert.

Just weird to not have something tied to mode.

As is, I am prevented from using it.

Yeah that would be great.

But just odd to not revert it afterwards. Or provide that option! I mean I guess you can have too many options but now I am forced to just turn it off. I would probably use it (maybe) if it would revert.

As is, I am prevented from using it.
Weird, I find it reverts too often and I have to make it full screen again... I'll have to pay more attention to when that happens.

Default options are always preferred IMO so I'm good with the default full screen option. I keep it off by default but I'm sure many others like the full screen.

Next Tesla should allow you to choose whether the minimal lane change setting is the default and not tied it to each drive like it is now. And fix the problem when right or left clicking on the scroll wheel that can automatically change chill/avg/assertive settings without you knowing it. What was Tesla thinking?

Reactions: swedge
I don't understand why one would prefer full screen visualization but only when FSD is engaged? Why not label/describe the setting less ambiguously? And why even dedicate a setting just for that when you could simply store and recall the user's previous choice? The whole thing seems super odd to me. I think they just handed the project to an intern and said, "Ok kid, show us what you got."

On the topic of full screen vs split screen visualization, what advantage does full screen have? Split screen includes exclusive information about the immediate surrounding behind you and more than enough horizontal information. The additional horizontal information in full screen is usually irrelevant information such as cars in parking lots and/or information that is unreliable due to being further off in the distance than the car can accurately perceive (e.g. fast moving opposing traffic on the highway). Then there's the fact that the visualization will be obscured by other UI elements such as the repeater camera and the now permanent cards overlay and navigation mini menu.

Last edited:
I recently read elsewhere on these forums that they've started offering to replace them for free when requested, rather than charging for it like they did originally, so apparently that's an option for anyone that's interested. I haven't gotten around to doing so yet.
I would be surprised (shocked even) if they did this out of warranty. I got the impression it is only done in warranty.

I got the software update and new maps. FSD seems about the same to me in general, but the auto speed control seems different. The car seems to drive a little bit slower on average, though still above the speed limit. There were also a couple of times where it really slowed down for no apparent reason. I haven’t seen that before. I’m wondering if Tesla pushes speed guidance information into the maps?

I recently read elsewhere on these forums that they've started offering to replace them for free when requested, rather than charging for it like they did originally, so apparently that's an option for anyone that's interested. I haven't gotten around to doing so yet.
If you were referring to the conversation linked above, it was incorrect. There were TSBs issued for a batch of problem cameras that affected some 2020 models unrelated to the light bleed issue, but there does not appear to exist any general TSB to address the light bleed.

There have long been various examples of certain SCs replacing the fender camera for free under "goodwill", but no evidence of a general policy change.

Last edited:
at night, poorly lit, and there was a kid dressed in all black, riding a black BMX bike on the sidewalk (stupid, I know)
Around here, the preponderance of nighttime pedestrians are dressed in all black, sometimes with black gloves and a face mask. These Ninja characters became much more common during the pandemic, but seem to be still with us.

Keeping in mind that this is not at all a pedestrian type area, especially outside the city limits. And despite the sparse traffic, they don't seem to have any concerns about wandering right across your path.

But I shouldn't prejudge. Could be just Family Values folks out for a refreshing post-midnight stroll!

Nonetheless, my night vision is worse than ever and it's a very scary trend. The good part is that I agree with you; the Tesla seems to pick them up very readily, and reacts cautiously and well. It's just that I can't say I'm supervising very effectively, when the only way I'm aware of them is that the Tesla saw them first!

So it's an option that takes away the option to have split screen visualization? Why even waste a spot in the settings menu for that? Did they give the UI project to an intern?
It doesn't take away the option, it just causes it to default to full screen at the start of the FSD Drive (now with the small map in the corner and cards at the bottom, as discussed).

You can still swipe the right edge to the left, to get back to the split screen view that was the old default. With either choice of the toggle, you can still go back and forth between these two kinds of views

That said, I do agree with you that it seems a little strange to dedicate a whole new option line and toggle switch in the Autopilot menu, for this rather minor "enhancement". As you say, it could just be a persistent user choice, where the system remembers your last configuration and it's easy to switch if that's not what you want at the moment.

I don't choose the full screen view very often. The best use of it is to impress a passenger when you're sitting near the front of the queue at a very busy large intersection. It's cool too see the computer keep track of dozens of cars all around. But most of the time I prefer to have the larger and more detailed nav map on the right side.

I’m wondering if Tesla pushes speed guidance information into the maps?
It may be more.

I’ve had a sudden slow down event appear related to a temp sign stating “end detour route xxx”. FSD just about comes to a complete stop approaching that sign.

I have wondered if the NN is conflating “end” with “stop”

In Chucks video yesterday, it stops for an empty cross walk but there is a _leaning_ cross walk post in the road with a tiny “stop sign image” on it. He repeats the section of road and it does not repeat the stop. Very interesting.

I speculate that leaning signs might be associated with a flagger person. That, associated with a small stop sign image and a lot of shadows, might be enough for a cautious stop by FSDS.

I pass a crosswalk that has a post in the middle of the road regularly. One day FSD stopped at the post and I noticed the tiny stop sign image on the post. It has never done it again.

As of 2024.14.9, that setting is displayed on the screen. You can't interact with it to change it, but it's there.
I have 2024.14.9 and can still toggle to the screen to enable/disable the minimal lane setting. (Model Y) Haven't noticed any change in behavior with the update. My default is "average" but when I toggle to the right the mode changes to assertive. If I toggle to the left it changes to chill.
I'll double check but this happened yesterday on a highway drive.

It just blows up your screen permanently when you engage FSD. Then you have to manually make it smaller even when going back to manual control.

It’s just an option that has to be turned off in the Autopilot menu. It’s not an option that should be enabled.
High resolution was on for me when I drove in manual mode to town on Sunday last week, spontaneously. I was amazed and delighted. Went into the hardware store and on the return home it was gone. Never has returned. Disappointing! It was great. Strange, though.

• Informative
Reactions: LSDTester#1