Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD, would like that $1K back please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's interesting that the OP is more concerned about the $1K price difference between us (those who bought EAP+FSD) versus EAP only owners who can now get it for $2K.

I can't say I really care about the $1K. Sure I care about money, but I understand the rationality behind trying to get EAP people over to FSD. Tesla doesn't want people in limbo land on HW2/HW2.5, but with advanced features. That's going to be messy.

Now I do want something for the $1K. What I want is priority on getting the HW3 upgrade. Those of us who bought EAP+FSD should have priority on the HW upgrade.

We were first dang it.

As to the non-owners that can now get it for $5K? I don't understand this rationality from a technical standpoint. From a business standpoint it seems like Tesla is just trying to get a cash infusion, but I doubt that many people will do it. I think Model 3 owners in particular are in a "lets see what's real before I fork over the money" mood.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I sure hope not since I believe in their mission and have one of their cars. But nevertheless they do need to do the right thing about this whole debacle and I’m still hopeful they will.
That’s how pissed I am. Lower the cars price for the same damn car. Then offering full self driving for those who don’t support their so called “mission” for the same price as EAP but those who did support it get penalized?! Over and over again?

I don’t care if I have their cars. Someone else will buy them out easily. Hope Tesla becomes APPLE! To HELL with Tesla.

This will be my attempt at explaining why those of us that paid 3k for FSD months ago expect a $1K refund.

First the facts:
- I paid for my car in July last year, paid $5k for EAP, additional $3k for FSD
- At time of purchase, FSD was presented as $3k now, $4k if purchased later
- Elon had tweeted a month before that he was expected the first features of FSD to be available in August, as part of 9.0 update (2018)

Today:
- I have enjoyed EAP since July; had I not purchased it, I could get EAP+FSD for $5k now instead of $8k I spent; I don't care about that, classic upsell promotion to get existing owners to spend more on their cars, sounds fine with me
- I still haven't received FSD though, had I waited today, I could pre-order it for $2k, instead of the $3k I preordered it for. I am very bothered by this

Why am I bothered:
- Unlike EAP, this product is not delivered yet, never heard of any other pre-ordering experiences, from any brand, where people pay more than others without a partial refund.
- The ONLY reason to pre-order FSD was the discount; there were no other listed benefits (no promise of Early Access Program, getting the feature early, getting hardware, etc...), the ONLY thing that was listed is $3k now or $4k later.
What was sold then was the promise of a discount.
In other words, Groupon. You spend $30 on Groupon for a $40 restaurant certificate (paying cheaper now to save money later). Then you show up at the restaurant, and they tell you the terms of your certificate has changed since you bought it, and the meal you can get from it is listed at $20 on their menu. Wouldn't you demand Groupon to give you $10 back at a minimum, as the ONLY reason to use them in the first place was to save money?

I am not a confrontational guy, and I love this car, so I am willing to be understanding with this, and accept a $1k credit on my account towards supercharging or purchase of accessories, future vehicle, etc... but that $1k in value needs to be recovered somehow

I have been waiting for the 1k refund since June.... it’s not coming ...,

I've learned my lesson. Don't put down a reservation. Buy it used (model 3 was first used car in 10 years). I don't regret the purchase at all or the spec/price I paid. Whatever emotional actions Tesla is selling don't do it.

I am pleased that the prices are getting lower for the car and AP in general but I am NOT please that we were lied and con'd to prepurchasing and/or preordering the EAP and FSD. Both packages were both sold that prices would increase if not purchased now. IT AIN'T EVEN ABOUT THE MONEY.

Really, one should question how much AP will be used daily before giving them $2k to $8k+. Not worth what I paid $8k for. Next time if there is a next time, buying a Tesla without the gimmicks.

We were a multi Tesla family. Now just down to one. And I think it will stay that way for a while. At least 5 yrs and see what's on deck whether it be a Tesla or other make.

Last edited:
I don't have dog in this one, yet. I am waiting for delivery and installation of two Powerwalls before buying my next car. It will be Model 3, unless someone produces a better alternative.

Consider that the kernel of this debate is a very reasonable desire to obtain maximum financial advantage from a series of price reductions in a fast-changing market.

Sidebar: Tesla's energy storage product is so exceptional and in such demand that the price was increased last year from $5500 to $6700, and supporting hardware went from $700 to $1100. Total increase was nearly 26 percent for the first and nearly 24 percent for two. Placing a $500 reserve deposit 18 months ago did not freeze the price. But I could only grouse for a few minutes, because the deal was still a good one.

IMHO somewhere between "entitled" and "clueless" lies a recognition that the Model 3 is both affordable and an exceptional value. A Model 3 with vaporware, or Powerwalls delivered "in the fullness of time" -- it's the same thing. Products without peer command high prices, and often impose inconvenience. Early adopters pay a premium. Economy of scale lowers cost, which increases demand. Since Hammurabi: A deal is a @#!& deal. Buyer's remorse is a choice. Comfort can be taken in the having. Shoot, I left another homily around here somewhere...

So, I was one who deferred the purchase of EAP and FSD at time of purchase. This has obviously benefited me, as I was able to buy the new (AP) and FSD yesterday for $2K plus $3K. I, just like the OP at time of purchase, felt the price point to purchase FSD (the advanced features that are not yet available) is right. Today, I'm OK with the additional $3K. If next month, Tesla decides to include FSD FREE for those that purchase AP, why would I be upset? I agreed to the price I paid for the features that were available, and the features that are promised. If others benefit from lower prices later, more power to them.

Reactions: preilly44
So, I was one who deferred the purchase of EAP and FSD at time of purchase. This has obviously benefited me, as I was able to buy the new (AP) and FSD yesterday for $2K plus $3K. I, just like the OP at time of purchase, felt the price point to purchase FSD (the advanced features that are not yet available) is right. Today, I'm OK with the additional $3K. If next month, Tesla decides to include FSD FREE for those that purchase AP, why would I be upset? I agreed to the price I paid for the features that were available, and the features that are promised. If others benefit from lower prices later, more power to them.

The difference is none of the features were delivered for FSD and they price dropped it. They have now redone the tiers so you're getting features with your FSD purchase (which were previously part of the EAP package). No one is complaining about the AP price drop since we got features we could use.

... and if you had the chance to cancel them and re-order them at the cheaper rate, would you not?
Sure I would. But that option would be either a term of the original contract, or a unilateral boon offered by the seller. Amazon's preorder offer explicitly assures minimum price. No auto contract I know of does that. Expecting a seller to guarantee you the best possible outcome? On what planet? It comes down to caveat emptor, a sad but established reality on ours.
Tesla may lose some distant repeat sales from this particular hoo-hah. Or maybe they will further sweeten the deal to keep a high polish on the brand. But with deep-pocket competition coming up fast, the price cuts were a smart move to retain share in a burgeoning EV market.

But with deep-pocket competition coming up fast, the price cuts were a smart move to retain share in a burgeoning EV market.

I think this price cut was short sighted of Tesla and may not pan out. They change prices rapidly and in some areas dramatically, causing sour tastes in current customers mouths and making new customers wonder when to pull the trigger. In addition, they don’t advertise except by word of mouth and are closing all their stores! So they are hanging their hats on the very people who are now mad to sell more cars for them! Stack on top of all of that a generally terrible after the sale customer service experience and quality issues making owners even less likely to recommend the brand.

They can’t compete against the majors on price alone, those guys will run circles around Tesla and do it with cars that are more reliable and easier to service. They can win on making a great product (that they already have), but they could easily squander that lead with terrible customer service. The best product doesn’t always win on its merits alone.

I wonder if this is going to be a mostly silent refund.

Where it's even more silent than the $5K refund (if you gave up free supercharging) for the P3D (that was purchased before the price change in it a couple months ago).

The $5K sorta refund was never communicated via a letter or an email. There was nothing on Tesla's website about it. You had to follow Elon's twitter, or hear about it on electrek or somewhere else.

I imagine Tesla is going to make this $1K refund (if it's even a thing) even more silent. Elon hasn't said anything about it. There hasn't been anything about it on Electrek.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I think this price cut was short sighted of Tesla and may not pan out. They change prices rapidly and in some areas dramatically, causing sour tastes in current customers mouths and making new customers wonder when to pull the trigger. In addition, they don’t advertise except by word of mouth and are closing all their stores! So they are hanging their hats on the very people who are now mad to sell more cars for them! Stack on top of all of that a generally terrible after the sale customer service experience and quality issues making owners even less likely to recommend the brand.

They can’t compete against the majors on price alone, those guys will run circles around Tesla and do it with cars that are more reliable and easier to service. They can win on making a great product (that they already have), but they could easily squander that lead with terrible customer service. The best product doesn’t always win on its merits alone.

When it comes to cars I'm of the strong opinion that the best customer is the existing customer. The existing customer is always a lot easier to keep then trying to attract new customers.

Quite a few Tesla customers were repeat customers. Some have even had all 4 vehicles (roadster, Model S, X, 3).

Even I've had two and I'm not that big of a fan.

But, now I'm looking for and more at Audi for exactly the reasons you listed.

Plus we don't know if people are really going to commit to those new cars from Germany. They're not exactly jumping over each other to get the Jaguar I-Pace, and it's not a bad vehicle.

So it seems a bit over the top of a response when the best response would have been a cold methodology of product improvement, and customer service improvement. Doing that while playing to their strengths.

I wonder if this is going to be a mostly silent refund.

Where it's even more silent than the $5K refund (if you gave up free supercharging) for the P3D (that was purchased before the price change in it a couple months ago).

The $5K sorta refund was never communicated via a letter or an email. There was nothing on Tesla's website about it. You had to follow Elon's twitter, or hear about it on electrek or somewhere else.

I imagine Tesla is going to make this $1K refund (if it's even a thing) even more silent. Elon hasn't said anything about it. There hasn't been anything about it on Electrek.

FWIW I finally got a reply to my complaint about the screwjob on early FSD buyers (days after I sent it)- it claims I will be getting a $1000 refund (to match the price the EAP only buyers are being offered- though not the $3000 one I should be getting to match the price the didn't-buy-either guys are getting).

That's certainly less of a kick in the you-know-where than the previous offer of "You can work for us for free alpha testing software, maybe!" though I still consider it insufficient.

I'd be fine with 1k cash and SOMETHING of actual value if they genuinely can't afford 3k cash (though they somehow had 5k to give all the P buyers...)... examples of one or more of the SOMETHING that'd probably be reasonable (and cost them little to nothing now, and possibly nothing long term for many of em):

Extended warranty

Free 2/4 year services

Free supercharging

Explicit priority (and I mean ACTUAL priority, not some of the BS priority they did on M3 reservation holders) for HW3 upgrade AND for release-level software updates (maybe that update on demand button Elon has talked about)