Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD, would like that $1K back please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure hope not since I believe in their mission and have one of their cars. But nevertheless they do need to do the right thing about this whole debacle and I’m still hopeful they will.

The right thing? In your eyes maybe but not everyone shares your perspective. Tesla has done nothing wrong, owes no one anything, and if you don't like it you can sell your car and buy something else. The right thing is for Tesla to ignore all of you and move on. This company has serious systemic issues that are wayyyyy more important and critical than a bunch of entitled owners whining about $1K...

All of you complaining and whining, you paid for something that was X price at the time you paid it. The price changed, get over yourselves.

Jeff

The right thing? In your eyes maybe but not everyone shares your perspective. Tesla has done nothing wrong, owes no one anything, and if you don't like it you can sell your car and buy something else. The right thing is for Tesla to ignore all of you and move on. This company has serious systemic issues that are wayyyyy more important and critical than a bunch of entitled owners whining about $1K...

All of you complaining and whining, you paid for something that was X price at the time you paid it. The price changed, get over yourselves.

Jeff
I guess sometimes you just can’t help the clueless to understand a point.

For the past year I’ve seen countless posts of people happy they purchased FSD because they were looking forward to the features they would eventually get. Clearly all that anticipation did have value to them. Had they not purchased FSD that excitement would have been replaced by the anxiety of having to pay more when the features are finally released.

This is actually what I am most upset about. I bought early for the "lower price" as well as the fun factor of being the first on the block to try the FSD features out. It HAS been fun guessing what FSD feature we would get first, following tweets, etc. It was like my car hadn't been fully delivered yet.

Now it turns out three FSD features are already released and every EAP car got them. What a let down.

I do appreciate the early access program that I will hopefully get, but hearing the (few) reports from folks in the program it sounds like it isn't all that great.

Only thing I have left now is the HW 3. And I am not hopeful that is actually going to happen either. If they can't afford to give us back $3k, they certainly can't afford to retrofit all our cars either.

Jeff

Its software, this happens with every piece of software I have ever bought. It gets cheaper with time, and yes, sometimes even before I have gotten my copy. I understand why people are upset, but its just a fact of life for software development.

How is it that some people on this thread can not wrap their head around the sole point and argument of the OP that FSD purchasers have received nothing. No software or hardware. It was a preorder. That same preorder has now dropped in price. Nothing has been delivered. No one has enjoyed anything they have spent money on and now it is cheaper to buy for both new deliveries and existing owners who have yet to preorder.

This is very different than buying an iPhone at an agreed price and then a new iPhone comes out or the parts got cheaper and now your iPhone is worth less than when you bought it.

I was one of those fools who was sold on the statement that “buying FSD now secures your price ultimately at a discount when HW3 comes out”. So I bought it after delivery for $4000. Stupid? Yes. Entitled? No.

How is it that some people on this thread can not wrap their head around the sole point and argument of the OP that FSD purchasers have received nothing. No software or hardware. It was a preorder. That same preorder has now dropped in price. Nothing has been delivered. No one has enjoyed anything they have spent money on and now it is cheaper to buy for both new deliveries and existing owners who have yet to preorder.

This is very different than buying an iPhone at an agreed price and then a new iPhone comes out or the parts got cheaper and now your iPhone is worth less than when you bought it.

I was one of those fools who was sold on the statement that “buying FSD now secures your price ultimately at a discount when HW3 comes out”. So I bought it after delivery for $4000. Stupid? Yes. Entitled? No.
The preorder price only dropped to appease the people upset by the other price drops. New customers are actually paying the same amount to get AP+FSD. This is the problem with endless appeasement of people upset by price drops and feature changes. They're never going to make everyone happy because there's always someone who feels that they were screwed over more than the last guy.
On the other hand Tesla should have never offered the "FSD" option to begin with. Selling something that you're unlikely to deliver is pretty shady.

Last edited:
Put another way. This has nothing to do with the % of the total cost of the car or how much a car has devalued. I went on their website 1 year after delivery. Bought something from them. A preorder addon that presumably enables software and any hardware upgrades needed for FSD for thousands of dollars. Now that same preorder is thousands of dollars less. Nothing has shipped yet.

Reactions: C141medic and ord3r
The preorder price only dropped to appease the people upset by the other price drops. New customers are actually paying the same amount to get AP+FSD. This is the problem with endless appeasement of people upset by price drops and feature changes. They're never going to make everyone happy because there's always someone who feels that they were screwed over more than the last guy.
On the other hand Tesla should have never offered the "FSD" option to begin with. Selling something that you're unlikely to deliver is pretty shady.
They also dropped the price for EVERYONE who bought in 2018/19 prior to price change, whom did not purchase EAP ($3000 less) or FSD ($1000 less)

Reactions: C141medic and ord3r
Put another way. This has nothing to do with the % of the total cost of the car or how much a car has devalued. I went on their website 1 year after delivery. Bought something from them. A preorder addon that presumably enables software and any hardware upgrades needed for FSD for thousands of dollars. Now that same preorder is thousands of dollars less. Nothing has shipped yet.

Did you buy it for 5k as well? Definitely the strangest pre-order process I have every been a part of. Better hurry up with those early access and FSD features to win us back ;)

Reactions: Ezri10
They also dropped the price for EVERYONE who bought in 2018/19 prior to price change, whom did not purchase EAP ($3000 less) or FSD ($1000 less)
Why though? Because people were upset about the price changes.
For the record I wish I hadn't bought EAP and instead gotten AP for $3k! I knew that they would eventually drop the price due to competition but I didn't think it would happen so soon.

This guys explains this situation very well:

Why though? Because people were upset about the price changes.
For the record I wish I hadn't bought EAP and instead gotten AP for $3k! I knew that they would eventually drop the price due to competition but I didn't think it would happen so soon.

Because Tesla hates their previous FSD and EAP customers? I dunno! They can buy AP for 2k and FSD for 3k = $5k total.

Reactions: C141medic
This guys explains this situation very well:

Because Tesla hates their previous FSD and EAP customers? I dunno! They can buy AP for 2k and FSD for 3k = $5k total.
But you can imagine the logic of their decision, right? They knew people were going to be upset by the price drops so they wanted to figure out a way to appease them that didn't cost Tesla any money. So why not give people a discount on software options? Win-win, Tesla appeases people upset about price drops and makes Tesla more money. Only problem is that they've created another group of people even more upset about price drops.

Well, I was just told that I'd be receiving a $1k refund. This came from a live chat person, so maybe take it with a grain of salt...
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 5.42.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 6.21.01 PM.png