Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true, only if you can charge at your destination. I often stay overnight at places with no charging, thus needing to charge during the day instead.

I guess long-run it will work out like Internet in hotels. The good ones, who offer the facilities, will rise to the top. hotels seem to be the obvious place to me. No time rush, and they already have parking under their control.

There seems to be some tradition of thinking that is suspicious of fast charging and says: either "home charging only" or a hybrid.

There seem to be some early adopters that think their circumstance is widespread. This 40 miles per day on average statistic is trotted out but it's a case of lies and statistics I think. I would fall into that category, but I travel to work on the train and maybe drive 200 miles on the weekend.

I wonder how much those with a plug in hybrid to sell are influencing this?

Is this question for Zack? I'm not getting the connection. The Model S PEM?

The Roadster PEM. Essentially there is a three phase charger in it, I guess just the cooling needs to be beefed up to run continuously. But I suspected even 3 PEMs would be less than the weight quoted.

What is interesting is the fast-charger at the motorway rest stop. Somewhere you could break a trip to have lunch and refill the battery. That would close to double your range (for a given battery size) - but I still worry about all the infrastructure needed to support tens or hundreds of thousands of these.

If we get to the point where 100 EVs at a time are fast charging at a service stop, then installing a 5MW supply to that stop will be costly but not outrageous in the context of the cost of the building or a filling station.

I guess long-run it will work out like Internet in hotels. The good ones, who offer the facilities, will rise to the top. hotels seem to be the obvious place to me. No time rush, and they already have parking under their control.

I'm not worried about hotels, I do however often stay the night at places where there is no electricity at all. Like in my cabin, the nearest powerlines are 5 miles away. Other example, some campsites or places that are a good starting point for camping trips.

Also, some trips require 5-600 miles driving in a day, I don't see 600-mile batteries being feasible in the next few years.

Many places will also offer only 16A 230V charging, that is 3.6kW and in 10 hours only 36kWh. A depleted 300-mile battery will require at least 9kW charging to fully charge in 10 hours.

for 11kW you need 16A 3-phase. if you look to the lemnet.rg or "drehstromliste" there are a lot of these already available in Europe, most in Germany, Switzerland an Austria. 32A socket are quite rare- and currently you can only one-phase on this.

Now, (b) is certainly because of where I live, but also affects the scalability of EVs as common transportation. If you have a big enough battery to get through a day, then you don't need fast charging - an overnight at home or in a hotel is fine. Assuming an explosion in the numbers of new EVs with smaller batteries relying on fast charging to get through the day - we'll end up with so many EVs that every parking spot will have to have a fast charger. I just don't see how that is scalable.

The average daily use doesn't require a huge battery. Since batteries are (still) expensive, many won't have a battery that is large enough to also cover their above-average driving.

What is interesting is the fast-charger at the motorway rest stop. Somewhere you could break a trip to have lunch and refill the battery. That would close to double your range (for a given battery size) - but I still worry about all the infrastructure needed to support tens or hundreds of thousands of these.

While there are many other situations where fast-charging is the best solution, just motorway rest stops won't require hundreds of thousands chargers. The total number of gas stations in the US is around 120,000 (the number is shrinking). Even with fast-charging, most charging will still be done at home (or perhaps also at work). (This is meant in addition to David's great answer).

For all the talk about fast charge's effect on the battery, keep in mind the bigger the battery, the lesser the effect. On the battery side, all it cares about is the C rate.

For example, if you have a a 25kWh/100 mi pack, then 1C is 25kW (ignoring losses for easy math). If you have a 50kWh/200mi pack, 1C is 50kW. The bigger pack has twice the charging power, but the impact on the battery is the same. In terms of mph, the larger pack is charging at twice the "speed", even though the impact is the same.

While there are many other situations where fast-charging is the best solution, just motorway rest stops won't require hundreds of thousands chargers. The total number of gas stations in the US is around 120,000 (the number is shrinking). Even with fast-charging, most charging will still be done at home (or perhaps also at work). (This is meant in addition to David's great answer).

I just don't get the scalability of this.

Let's take the extreme that all gas cars were replaced with leafs. Range is 1/4 of the gas equivalent and fast charge time is at least 6 times. Without home charging, and relying solely on gas-station equivalent fast charging, that means 24 times the number of gas pumps replaced with fast charge stations.

Now, the extreme case is obviously not going to happen, but the math works out that for each gas car replaced by a leaf (as an example of a car with small battery) without home charging this is 24x the number of 'refill stations'.

I think we need a new model, not just an adaptation of the existing infrastructure. Standing around in a lousy gas-station environment for a couple of minutes is fine, but not for the 30-45 minutes of a fast charge. Parks, hotels, restaurants seem the logical solution to me (with a selection of charging options).

Each market, and even individual needs within each market, are going to require different solutions. Where I live (Hong Kong), the vast majority of car owners can't do home charging, but I am lucky in that I can.

I just don't get the scalability of this.

A single well-placed fast-charging station can already be a huge benefit to those cars that are able use it.

Let's take the extreme that all gas cars were replaced with leafs. Range is 1/4 of the gas equivalent and fast charge time is at least 6 times. Without home charging, and relying solely on gas-station equivalent fast charging, that means 24 times the number of gas pumps replaced with fast charge stations.

Now, the extreme case is obviously not going to happen, but the math works out that for each gas car replaced by a leaf (as an example of a car with small battery) without home charging this is 24x the number of 'refill stations'.

I think we need a new model, not just an adaptation of the existing infrastructure. Standing around in a lousy gas-station environment for a couple of minutes is fine, but not for the 30-45 minutes of a fast charge. Parks, hotels, restaurants seem the logical solution to me (with a selection of charging options).

Each market, and even individual needs within each market, are going to require different solutions. Where I live (Hong Kong), the vast majority of car owners can't do home charging, but I am lucky in that I can.

- Fast-charging doesn't mean "without home charging". In addition to home charging, there will be other methods of over-night charging. Hotels, as you say, certainly will have charging. There are already chargers which look almost like parking meters. I'd expect that the cost of J1772 chargers will go below $500, and when deployed in larger quantities, the relative installation cost will be low enough to justify the investment wherever used during most nights. As just an idea of how this might get solved. Of course, charging at the work place will be another option.

- Not all gas cars will be replaced with Leafs, that's not a basis for a realistic calculation. Future electric cars will have larger batteries (at decreasing prices) as well as even faster charging. The Model S will already have a 300 mile battery as an option. However the Leaf is already very useable for many.

- We are not talking about locating fast-charging stations in "lousy gas stations" ("motorway rest stops" were your example). They will be mostly at places where you would want to spend some time in any case. "Restaurants" are a much better example.

There will be a need for on-street, overnight, slow (8 hour to full) charging in large quantities. Most city dwellers will need this. Cities that wake up to this soon (and stop placing slow chargers at shopping malls, start placing them on residential streets) will be at significant advantage.

This is different from the need for fast (<1 hour to full) charging which will be needed to allow occasional use beyond daily driving range.

There seem to be some early adopters that think their circumstance is widespread. This 40 miles per day on average statistic is trotted out but it's a case of lies and statistics I think. I would fall into that category, but I travel to work on the train and maybe drive 200 miles on the weekend.

I wonder how much those with a plug in hybrid to sell are influencing this?

Same here. Maybe, for example, GM's idea to trade-mark "range anxiety" wasn't a single incident. In contrast to some claims that they are only competing with ICEs and not with EVs. On one hand trying to argue that 40 miles is enough, on the other, not only implying that paying lots of money for an additional ICE would be categorically better than having fast charging, but also trying to cast the latter in a bad light.

Slobodan Ćuk, President TESLAco, Irvine, USA
The goal of developing AC/DC
converters with Isolation and Power Factor Correction (PFC) feature in a single power processing stage and without a mandatory full-bridge rectifier has for years eluded power electronics researchers (see cover image). Present AC/DC converters operated from a single-phase AC line are based on conventional Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) switching and process the power through at least three distinct power processing stages: full-bridge rectifier followed by boost PFC converter and another cascaded isolated full-bridge DC/DC converter stage, which together use a total of 14 switches and three magnetic components resulting in corresponding efficiency, size and cost limitations.
The new Hybrid Switching Method enables new Single-Stage AC/DC converter topology, the True Bridgeless PFC Converter* consisting of just three switches and a single magnetic component albeit at a much higher efficiency approaching 98%, having a 0.999 power factor and 1.7% total harmonic distortion. Three- Phase Rectifier* consisting of three such Single-Phase Rectifiers* (*US and foreign
patents pending) takes for the first time a full advantage of Tesla’s three-phase transmission system to convert constant instantaneous input power of a three- phase system directly to a constant DC output power, albeit isolated at high switching frequency, with near unity power factor (0.999), low total harmonic distortion (1.7%), smaller size and lower cost but at ultra high efficiency of 98% [6].
Serbian-American inventor Nikola Tesla in 1879 invented the three-phase) transmission system, which together AC three-phase motors and AC generators enabled a very efficient worldwide electric power transmission and utilization, which is still unsurpassed today. One of the key properties of Tesla’s three-phase system is that it consists of three AC voltages each displaced from the other by 120 degrees. When each phase is delivering the current in phase and proportional to its respective AC line voltage (unity power factor operation on each phase), the instantaneous power from each phase is positive (active) and is time varying. Nevertheless, the sum of the powers of all three phases is constant in time (see Figure 1). As this property is available on
both three-phase AC generator side and three-phase AC load side there is no electrical energy storage needed in such a three-phase long distance transmission system. Yet, availability of the AC voltages on each side, make possible use of the three phase AC transformers for stepping up the AC voltage on generator side and stepping-down AC voltage on the users load side.

3-phase charging are more efficient than single-phase charging resulting in a much more smaller and compact equipment

I was told today that the Model S would be J1772 based for the US versions. Not sure that is big news, but at least there is verification.

That is big news! That was widely expected of course but they were dragging their feet on confirming this. Will be nice once it's officially on their website with the specs but at least this opens the Model S to using public chargers without an adapter (hopefully).

most american has the idea, their current grid mostly based on single-phase or even split-phase are sufficient for the future. the answer is NO! Even if you got a 100A fuse, the utility gives you an average of max. 10A consumption over the year.
While as long as your are the only one in the neighborhood its fine. But if half of your neighbors owns an electric car as well, everything changes. The local transformer is distributing the 3-phases to the homes, giving every street one of the phases. If to many cars start charging, the transformer will blast or simply switch off under overload. The utility has to setup bigger transformer and to introduce smart grid abilities to limit power-consumption during peak time.
The simplest is monitoring the voltage, the phase shift and to reduce the current, when a grid overload is indicated. With 3-phases, its much easier and the less used phases can be better balanced out.
Nobody can deny, with increasing numbers of electrical cars, a grid update will be necessary and will lead to a higher voltage and 3-phase grid even in housing areas.
Also if some on this forum are tired about this discussion for america, because single and high current lines are still available, this will change and must change for the future. With increasing houses, installing solar power panels on their roof, the low-voltage grid-level has to be able to handle this additional load.
Tesla, has to take this into their account, because its not easy to change the cars charging equipment, when future development require more advanced charging technology. Tesla can learn from the need in europe today and prevents from making wrong decisions for the further developments.

Last edited:
USA doesn't seem to have a lot of appetite for infrastructure upgrade projects right now.
Also, for the majority drivers who have gasoline powered vehicles, they are not likely to approve of such projects if they are costly and targeted to help EVs only.
Unfortunately, I think it is more likely we limp along with aging, barely adequate power infrastructure for quite some time. But, even so, a large percentage of drivers could get by with nightly slow charge and using their EV primarily for local commutes and errands, but not for long road trips. Some Roadster owners continue to "show off" these long distance trips and quest for the highest speed charging along major routes, but more EV penetration could happen with cheaper, shorter range, slower charging cars (such as Nissan Leaf for instance), and then those without a 2nd car could rent a hybrid for those times they need to travel long distances.

TEG, don't forget that DC fast chargers do use 3-phase as input. In the US, it seems the slower "Level 2" EVSE units (such as the current SAE J1772 AC Level 2 chargers/EVSE units) are the ones which use single and/or split phase (I'm not not an expert, just following the public discussion of this subject).

Therefore, at least in the US, the arguments above would speak in favor of DC fast charging.

Although perhaps it might depend on how the charger converts 3-phase to DC, which however is solely a matter of the DC charger itself (those big boxes installed at parking spots).

Otherwise I agree that the utilities in the US don't give the impression that they have plans (or would be willing) to change their infrastructure in such a way. For the far future, who knows, maybe even a DC grid would make sense (I was reading stuff that the advancement of electronics in DC/DC (and perhaps even DC/AC) conversion might allow that. But that's perhaps for the utilities (or the DOE) to figure out, or to let us know about, if they want that to be part of the public discussion. Although I think that these things will become more and more a part of the technical discussion as the general discussion of all energy related matters progresses.

If the 3-phase argument is applicable to the US, then I'd think it would be the task of a standard body like SAE to cooperate with the utilities, to provide a standard that incooperates 3-phase (or to adopt Mennekes). It doesn't seem like Tesla could accomplish anything in this regard just by making that part of the car charger, however I suppose it may become an option at least for the european version of the Model S, for (AC) Level 2 charging. One difficulty there might be that Europe itself hasn't agreed on a specific standard yet. Besides Mennekes, there seem to be other variants still in discussion. Is Mennekes already used by any european car manufacturer other than by prototypes?

Regarding DC grid compared to (3-phase) AC grid: An interesting IEEE Spectrum article about the advantages (and feasibility) of a DC grid:

Direct-Current Networks Gain Ground - IEEE Spectrum (2 pages, Feb 2011)

Their chosen remedy, DC power distribution, promises simpler equipment and significant energy savings. After more than a dozen beta installations worldwide, DC wiring is going commercial as manufacturers start selling the first products challenging AC power's 120-year dominance of electrical distribution.

DC distribution's primary attraction—the promise of simpler equipment and significant energy savings—stems from the increasing proportion of electrical loads with DC-based electronic components or batteries. Distributing DC enables replacement of AC-DC converters within individual devices with a smaller number of larger, more efficient converters.

DC distribution offers a comparatively simple scheme, whereby a single rectifier turns 480-V AC into 380-V DC that can both charge the UPS and supply the servers. The University of California, San Diego, began testing a 380-V DC data center last year, and in November, the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) and Duke Energy Corp. measured a 15 percent reduction in power consumption in a test of 380-V DC distribution at the utility's Charlotte, N.C., data center. Net energy savings could be twice that, they claim, once the cooler-running equipment's reduced air-conditioning burden is factored in.

However, a 2008 analysis by Intel predicts that, even compared with premium high-efficiency AC systems, DC distribution will use 7 percent less power.

That volume might come from a combination of solar panel installations and battery-powered vehicles. DC distribution is an efficient means of combining these inherently DC devices, according to Dragan Maksimovic, a power electronics expert at the University of Colorado at Boulder.

Symanski predicts that EMerge and ETSI could harmonize their respective drafts to forge a worldwide 380-V DC standard before the end of the year. If that happens, equipment for 380-V DC power could be available within months.

Two other articles:

DC: the Future of the Grid
(Feb 2010)

DC is the best method for long distance transmission because the much higher voltages that a DC-based system can handle mean much less power loss than AC. Especially when considering the smart grids ultimate goal of enabling a sustainable energy system, these lines will be crucial to bring power from renewable sources like wind farms and hydro, to remote locations.

Power transmission: Where the wind blows | The Economist (2007)

Wind power has two problems. You don't always get it where you want it and you don't always get it when you want it. According to Jürgen Schmid, the head of ISET, an alternative-energy institute at the University of Kassel, in Germany, continent-wide power distribution systems in a place like Europe would deal with both of these points.

The question of where the wind is blowing would no longer matter because it is almost always blowing somewhere.

The capacity of Norway's reservoirs is so large, according to Dr Schmid, that should the wind drop all over Europe—which does happen on rare occasions—the hydro plants could spring into action and fill in the gap for up to four weeks.

Put like this, a Europe-wide grid seems an obvious idea. That it has not yet been built is because AC power lines would lose too much power over such large distances. Hence the renewed interest in DC.

Dr Schmid calculates that a DC grid of the sort he envisages would allow wind to supply at least 30% of the power needed in Europe. Moreover, it could do so reliably—and that means wind power could be used for what is known in the jargon as base-load power supply.

I was told today that the Model S would be J1772 based for the US versions. Not sure that is big news, but at least there is verification.

Were you talking about Level 2 charging, or DC fast charging (or both) ? Elon also mentioned the SAE standards (current and upcoming) in the Q&A section of the recent shareholders meeting, but only in so far as saying something like that they are good even though they could be improved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.