Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Charger Power Sharing - who has this working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe a max of 4 are supported in the balancing/sharing configuration.
According to a manual(maybe not the latest) the limit is 16.
That has been a funny road. When it first came out, it said 16 in the manual, which was bull$#*&. It could actually not do any sharing at all for about a year. When they finally did create the sharing function, I think that was made with 4. So that's what you are both remembering. I think it has been increased to 6 now.

I had a 2nd wall connector installed this week by an electrician and setup with power sharing.

Wire from 100A sub-panel, 60A breaker, in basement (thick gray sleeve) to 1st wall connector was cut and spliced with a new wire that runs to the new wall connector on the other side of the garage (steel tube). Splice from existing wire to new one was done via wire nuts and electrical tape inside the steel square junction box.

Power sharing was setup on the existing wall connector as the leader, with the new wall connector as the follower. It quickly installed a firmware update on the follower. Max amps is set to 48A for both connectors so at no time will that be exceeded.

Tested it over the last couple days and it works well. If one Model Y has a low SoC and the other one has a higher SoC, it does seem to initially give the low one a slightly higher amount of amps (27-28A) and lowers the amps on the higher SoC vehicle. However after a few minutes, no more than 5-10 minutes, it equals out to 24A on both until the end of the charging. Once one vehicle finishes charging, the other one ramps up to the full 48A to finish charging. Ideally it would give the low SoC a higher amount of amps, say 35, to "catch up" to the higher SoC vehicle, but since it would just take a matter of hours either way, it's not a concern.

I've reviewed all of these threads and comments regarding the Tesla 'proper' method of installing the power requirements for a second connector, and how Tesla shows the 2 examples in the installation guide of direct from main panel and individual circuits from sub-panel. I've shared this information with my electrician and he's reviewing/researching if it's worth changing the splice junction box into a sub-panel with 2 60A breakers.

I've also contacted Tesla by phone, at the number at the end of the installation guide, and discussed the question. The representative conferred with his peers and could not find any reason why the wire nut spliced junction box isn't acceptable, and confirmed Tesla does not have any specific guidance or requirements for a sub-panel.

I'll post an update if my electrician and I decide to change to a sub-panel. However as it is now, it's working well. Trying to determine any long term concerns by leaving it as is.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    524 KB · Views: 145
I've also contacted Tesla by phone, at the number at the end of the installation guide, and discussed the question. The representative conferred with his peers and could not find any reason why the wire nut spliced junction box isn't acceptable, and confirmed Tesla does not have any specific guidance or requirements for a sub-panel.
Huh, that's disappointing that Tesla doesn't even have their own information right. The Gen3 wall connector instructions are specific that each one needs to have its own breaker and can't just use wire splitting like the Gen2 used to.

Reactions: h2ofun
I had a 2nd wall connector installed this week by an electrician and setup with power sharing.

Wire from 100A sub-panel, 60A breaker, in basement (thick gray sleeve) to 1st wall connector was cut and spliced with a new wire that runs to the new wall connector on the other side of the garage (steel tube). Splice from existing wire to new one was done via wire nuts and electrical tape inside the steel square junction box.

Power sharing was setup on the existing wall connector as the leader, with the new wall connector as the follower. It quickly installed a firmware update on the follower. Max amps is set to 48A for both connectors so at no time will that be exceeded.

Tested it over the last couple days and it works well. If one Model Y has a low SoC and the other one has a higher SoC, it does seem to initially give the low one a slightly higher amount of amps (27-28A) and lowers the amps on the higher SoC vehicle. However after a few minutes, no more than 5-10 minutes, it equals out to 24A on both until the end of the charging. Once one vehicle finishes charging, the other one ramps up to the full 48A to finish charging. Ideally it would give the low SoC a higher amount of amps, say 35, to "catch up" to the higher SoC vehicle, but since it would just take a matter of hours either way, it's not a concern.

I've reviewed all of these threads and comments regarding the Tesla 'proper' method of installing the power requirements for a second connector, and how Tesla shows the 2 examples in the installation guide of direct from main panel and individual circuits from sub-panel. I've shared this information with my electrician and he's reviewing/researching if it's worth changing the splice junction box into a sub-panel with 2 60A breakers.

I'll post an update if my electrician and I decide to change to a sub-panel. However as it is now, it's working well. Trying to determine any long term concerns by leaving it as is.
My electrician checked with the other Tesla certified installers in the area and confirmed the method he wired the second connector is okay. He did come back to replace the wire nuts with rubberized Polaris connectors as seen in this photo, as they are more durable. (The brown felt in the photo around the edges of the box was added by me to reduce potential wear on the charger cable which hangs above the box and may rub against these steel edges).

Attachments

• IMG-0262.jpg
    IMG-0262.jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Helpful
Reactions: Koolio46
My electrician checked with the other Tesla certified installers in the area and confirmed the method he wired the second connector is okay. He did come back to replace the wire nuts with rubberized Polaris connectors as seen in this photo, as they are more durable. (The brown felt in the photo around the edges of the box was added by me to reduce potential wear on the charger cable which hangs above the box and may rub against these steel edges).
Did you permit get approved this way? I sure did not do that way

Reactions: Rocky_H
Since the NACS plug seems to be now the US standard going forward, I feel more confident adding TWC at my commercial property. I would plan to install 4 TWC, each on their own 60 amp circuit and assuming I understand correctly, I will set my "site" limit to 150 amps based on the available load calc of available power and set each of the 4 TWC to 48 amps max. That way if 3 people are charging it will be drawing (48*3=144amps) and if a 4th person starts charging, it will drop the total output across all 4 units to (150/4=37amps). Let me know if my understanding is not correct.

My second question, if we limit the tesla VIN numbers that are allowed to use the TWC, is there any sort of reporting (monthly) that would show how much kWh each vin has consumed? (This way if I need to bill people on-site, this is office space, so it is regular users and not people off the street)

Thanks for any help for those who have experience!

My second question, if we limit the tesla VIN numbers that are allowed to use the TWC, is there any sort of reporting (monthly) that would show how much kWh each vin has consumed? (This way if I need to bill people on-site, this is office space, so it is regular users and not people off the street)
You should consider contacting Tesla for commercial sales. They may supply your HPWCs at a discount, and would be able to answer your billing question. I understand that there are at least a >few< sites that use Gen3 HPWCs and bill users for them via (I think) the billing system of the supercharger network.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You should consider contacting Tesla for commercial sales. They may supply your HPWCs at a discount, and would be able to answer your billing question. I understand that there are at least a >few< sites that use Gen3 HPWCs and bill users for them via (I think) the billing system of the supercharger network.
Good call, I did submit a commercial use inquiry to them and awaiting to hear back...

Just heard back from Tesla. For anyone interested in commercial use, this is what they offer:
Program Benefits

• Add an amenity for your guests or residents
  • Drive new customer traffic to your location if you choose to be added to Tesla’s find us page and in-vehicle navigation
  • New revenue stream made possible by paid charging sessions for Tesla and non-Tesla drivers
    • You set the desired price of charging, Tesla collects driver payment and remits 100% of revenue back to you quarterly
    • Tesla’s sole fee is one penny per kWh, invoiced annually
    • Clear path to return your investment
  • Access to a Tesla for Business account with session data, monthly usage statements and pricing controls at your fingertips
  • White-glove service includes hardware expertise, order processing, preferred installer pricing, and opening support for your property

Requirements

• Minimum of six Wall Connectors (at least 50% NACS connectors – now also supported by Ford and GM!)
  • Budget for installation (Note the average cost to install 6-12 chargers is $25,000-$50,000 and will vary depending on the electrical work to available power and proximity to parking spaces where units are installed)

I wanted to revive this thread to share my actual experience.

I finally got to have my stuff installed and could confirm compatibility.
Here is my setup :

• One 60A breaker on my panel
  • 2 x Tesla Wall Connector Gen3 plugged on the same breaker (all installed by a certified electrician)
  • Connectors are setup in Power Sharing mode, 48A (80% of the breaker) available for charging IN THE GROUP
  • Plugging a Tesla in either one of the chargers will offer full charge of 48A (yay)
  • Plugging 2 Teslas on the chargers will automatically share the load
    • I only saw 24A + 24A
    • I don't know if it will modulate depending on demand, but honestly I don't really care, half charge is good enough for me
  • Now the kicker, plugging a Tesla and a Ford Mustang Mach E with a Lectron adapter
    • Works like a charm, I was scared communication would not work and sharing would be controlled by the cars maybe
    • As soon as I plug the Mach E, I see the Tesla drop to 24A
    • All is well

So the setup works, just needs to configure the sharing properly, which is super easy following the documentation.

Hope that helps someone!
Just want to say this was super helpful in confirming how I should cofnirgure Power Sharing. Thank you!

I have the same wiring setup and wasn’t sure if the ‘max network speed’ in Power Sharing should be 48a or 60a. I believed it was 48a, and this helped confirm it.