Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III name confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about "Donner" for the Model X and "Blitzen" for the Model 3? (Thunder and Lightning in German). Those would make Santa Claus proud, and may entice potential German buyers. :wink:

Okay, it's an American company. Then "Thunder" and "Lightning". :smile:

Last edited:
Why don't we call what Tesla calls it?

Untitled.jpg

I like the simplicity in S, X and 3, that's all fine with me.

But is model really necessary?

Every time I say or write "I am getting a Tesla Model S" I am thinking wouldn't it be nice if it was just "Tesla S"?

Tesla R
Tesla S
Tesla X
Tesla 3

There should be no need for model.

This could even have avoided the Ford threat of suing, as Tesla Model E might infringe their "rights", how about "Tesla E" - I am sure no company can claim rights to just one letter of the alphabet.

My one issue with one or two letter car names is both banal and stupid and really important:

They are hard to search for.

Seriously, searching a forum for information on the "Golf R" is really a pain, especially when people just casually refer to it as an "R."

That hasn't been such a huge problem here, but then again that's because Tesla doesn't have many cars yet (and one of them is called "Roadster.")

In that sense, I hope they do go with III, since that will at least be a little easier to find than 3.

I realize that the company is dominated by engineers, but they really should seek advice from marketers or language experts regarding the names for car models. In my opinion, they need to come up with names that are sexier for advertisements of mass market cars aimed at younger members of the middle and working classes, rather than the bland designations engineers typically give to prototypes or luxury cars. Henry Ford was an engineer who originally gave his car models stark names like Model T. Eventually he bowed to marketers suggesting more attractive names.

In doing so would change what and who Tesla is. You take them as they are, quirks and all.

I've never bought a vehicle based on the name being sexy and clearly millions of other people haven't either, given all the prime examples of entirely unsexy vehicle names. Heck, I've never even bought a vehicle because I saw a commercial I liked that advertised that vehicle. Perhaps I'm simply immune to marketing gimmicks?

I don't want Tesla to bow to marketers or anyone else. I want them to keep on doing things their own way, even if it means they make mistakes.

In doing so would change what and who Tesla is. You take them as they are, quirks and all.

I've never bought a vehicle based on the name being sexy and clearly millions of other people haven't either, given all the prime examples of entirely unsexy vehicle names. Heck, I've never even bought a vehicle because I saw a commercial I liked that advertised that vehicle. Perhaps I'm simply immune to marketing gimmicks?

I don't want Tesla to bow to marketers or anyone else. I want them to keep on doing things their own way, even if it means they make mistakes.

+ a bunch !

Please no marketing gobbledygook. Meaningless phrases, outright lies. "Love is what makes a Subaru a Subaru". All new from the ground up. The Ultimate Driving Machine. Professional Grade. Zoom Zoom. Standard of the World. An American Revolution. Driven by what's inside. The relentless pursuit of perfection. The best built cars in the world. Like Nothing Else. The heartbeat of America. There's only one. It makes you feel like the man you are. Like a Rock. Oh what a feeling. Think small.

There are hundreds. They all represent huge cost that the customer pays for, and all mean nothing. When all the cars are the same, all you can boast of is that they have some ethereal quality that supposedly no one else has. If that doesn't work, LIE! "Clean Diesel" is my favorite.

The reality of Tesla is more than the ad imagination of all the others put together. When you have to hire marketing, you've lost the game.

Take a look at the Tesla Motors logo.

See how the letter 'E' is made?

Tesla-Motors-Logo.png

That same symbol can also represent the numeral '3'.

343px-Indian_numerals_100AD.svg.png

That will do just fine. Tesla can still call the car 'Model Three', while using an emblem that all enthusiasts identify as 'E'. Ingenious.

Tesla Model 3_-_RED LOGO.png

I wasn't able to find quite the right font, but this is pretty close, after a bit of tweaking:

Tesla Model 3_-_RED LOGO 02.jpg

It can also be written like this:

Tesla Model ☰

(Apparently the symbol '☰' may also represent the word 'HEAVEN'.)