Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen1 Tesla Wall Charger Plug End Broke Off - Recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Gen1 80A wall charger that I have been using daily with my 2016 Model X. The end of the plug started cracking several months ago and I taped it with some heavy-duty duct tape that worked pretty well at keeping it from actually breaking off - until today. This end-piece (see photos) came off today when I disconnected the cable. I could re-attach the piece to charge the vehicle, but that's not a good long-term solution. BESIDES buying a brand new wall charger - are there any recommendation on how to most affordably repair this? I've checked Tesla, eBay, Amazon, Google, Ali, etc. for replacement parts, but can't seem to find anything. Appreciate your helpful suggestions - thanks in advance.
IMG_7688.jpg
IMG_7687.jpg
IMG_7685.jpg
IMG_7686.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I know I've seen Tesla plugs with cables but no EVSE for sale in the past. The only one I could find today was this one, which has only 9 feet of cable attached. There may be someplace that has a longer cable, though. I'd recommend hiring an electrician to do the work, unless you're qualified to work on 240v, 80A appliances yourself.

• Love
Reactions: eXcalibur
I know I've seen Tesla plugs with cables but no EVSE for sale in the past. The only one I could find today was this one, which has only 9 feet of cable attached. There may be someplace that has a longer cable, though. I'd recommend hiring an electrician to do the work, unless you're qualified to work on 240v, 80A appliances yourself.
Thank you so much. Yes...trying to find that 24 foot cable has been a challenge. I'll keep searching and hopefully something will pop up soon. Thankfully, I have my trickle charger and don't live too far from a Supercharger.

You could buy an extension cable and cut the end off, but at $357 you might be better of buying a new wall connector, unless you need the 80A capability:

Here is a cheaper extension cable, but it is also out of stock:

Last edited:
First off, I'm wondering why you were still trying to use a thing like that, which looks like it went through a meat grinder.

But as to replacements, I have a couple of ideas. The company used to be called Quick Charge Power, but changed their name to QC Charge. They offered services for customizing and building Tesla charging equipment mods. So you could send in your standard UMC, and they could lengthen it out to 40 or 50 feet if you wanted. Or they could swap the cable on your wall connector to a J1772 one if you wanted to charge a Tesla and non-Tesla car in your garage.

And they would sell some of the leftover parts they used in these builds. So for instance, you can get a cut off UMC plug handle with an 8 inch cord if you just want to splice in the handle.

Or, this is an 80A capable J1772 cord if you can deal with that and having to use the adapter with it.
Eww, whoops, nevermind. That's $350 and is sold out anyway.

Definitely the easiest route to just buy a whole replacement unit.

Sell the old one on eBay for parts or contact QC Charge to see what they’ll pay you for your good parts. While it may not be something you wanted to tackle, someone will put the time into fixing it up and keeping it out of the landfill for a few more years.

Reactions: eXcalibur
I had the SAME exact thing happen to my Generation 1 charger. The handle broke off exactly like yours. For a while I was just sticking it into the cars without it but it finally broke. I had an electrician come out to install the new Generation 3 charger but the cable/wiring is much bigger on the generation 1 charger. He said he has to replace something on the panel as it's much bigger than the Generation 3 can handle. Did you experience that as well?

Attachments

• Tesla charger handle 2.JPG
    Tesla charger handle 2.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 39
  • tesla charger handle.JPG
    tesla charger handle.JPG
    544.9 KB · Views: 38
I had the SAME exact thing happen to my Generation 1 charger. The handle broke off exactly like yours. For a while I was just sticking it into the cars without it but it finally broke. I had an electrician come out to install the new Generation 3 charger but the cable/wiring is much bigger on the generation 1 charger. He said he has to replace something on the panel as it's much bigger than the Generation 3 can handle. Did you experience that as well?

If you had your gen 1 wall connector setup for anything more than 60amp (breaker / wiring) that could be the case. Gen 3 wall connectors do not support more than 60amp connection, and the wire sizes to make that connection.

You could look for a gen 2 wall connector, which will take the same size cabling as the gen 1s, but they will usually cost more than a gen 3, as people who have them generally know that someone looking for a gen 2 over a gen 3 is doing so for one of a few specific reasons, and might be willing to pay a premium for it.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Gen1 circuit breaker is 100A.

That needs to be replaced with a lower Ampere as directed by the Gen3 manual: 60A.

That should be cheap and easy.

Last edited: