Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen2 Wall Connector Failed - Cannot Repair or Replace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Gen2 wall connector recently failed, and Tesla will not repair it, since it is (slightly) more than 4 years old, and the warranty is 4 years. However, they won't even repair it if I pay. Nor can I replace it, as it has been superseded by the gen3 wall connector, which charges only to 48A, not 80A.

I am quite unhappy, since I purchased a dual charger (80A) Tesla Model S, and I have an extended warranty on it. There is no way to use (much of) the dual charger. I feel like Tesla stranded me and is not supporting my vehicle. I understand that Tesla wants to move on, but real car companies support their products for more than 4 years.

My Gen2 wall connector recently failed, and Tesla will not repair it, since it is (slightly) more than 4 years old, and the warranty is 4 years. However, they won't even repair it if I pay. Nor can I replace it, as it has been superseded by the gen3 wall connector, which charges only to 48A, not 80A.

I am quite unhappy, since I purchased a dual charger (80A) Tesla Model S, and I have an extended warranty on it. There is no way to use (much of) the dual charger. I feel like Tesla stranded me and is not supporting my vehicle. I understand that Tesla wants to move on, but real car companies support their products for more than 4 years.

I feel your pain. I too have dual chargers and when I can find a good 80 amp source I can charge at pretty close to 60 mph. While less than ideal there are other options available from Clipper Creek and I'm sure others that have home solutions that can be hardwired and do offer up 80 amps out. Keep in mind the J1772 standard is rated for 80 amps and the adapter that you have that came with your car is also rated for 80 amps so you can use your J1772 adapter and get the same rate.

The only other alternative is to scour eBay and such to try to come up with a generation one or two wall connector, but keep in mind most of the sellers on there know what they have so be prepared to pay above retail to get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
The only other alternative is to scour eBay and such to try to come up with a generation one or two wall connector, but keep in mind most of the sellers on there know what they have so be prepared to pay above retail to get it.
An annoying prob with gen 1 HPWCs is that they may be incompatible with newer vehicles which might be important to the OP if/when he goes that route.

Gen 1 HPWC with newer Model Xs?
Wall Connector repair?
Series 1 HPWC issues with 2018 model S

We had the same issue with VERY early HPWCs we had installed at work which had to be swapped out.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
An annoying prob with gen 1 HPWCs is that they may be incompatible with newer vehicles which might be important to the OP if/when he goes that route.

Gen 1 HPWC with newer Model Xs?
Wall Connector repair?
Series 1 HPWC issues with 2018 model S

We had the same issue with VERY early HPWCs we had installed at work which had to be swapped out.

Good looking out. my car is a 2012 Signature with dual chargers so I have been thus far forward compatible with everything as well as compatible with the first wall connectors that were ever available so that is something that I had not thought about. Hopefully the OP is seeing this.

I have not followed whether or not there has been a firmware or vehicle fix for this very old HPWC w/newer Tesla vehicles compatibility problem but it's just something that could come up in the future. As you've seen by some of the above threads, back then, Tesla was just swapping out old units for gen 2 WCs.

I wouldn’t expect Tesla or any other company to offer repair of an EVSE unit, especially one that’s 4yrs old. Too many variables that don’t guarantee a fully functioning and safe unit afterward. Was it “just” a blown cap? Loose ground? If you were still under warranty, they’d just send you a new unit I suspect. They don’t want the liability post-repair.
I hope you can find a used unit or busted one for parts...

I understand that Tesla wants to move on, but real car companies support their products for more than 4 years.
Tesla is not a real car company. They also make clothing (including short shorts) - it doesn't make them a clothing company or a fashion designer either. They are a Silicon Valley tech company which happens to make cars. Their behavior is more consistent with Silicon Valley companies than automotive companies. Tesla products are closer to a cell phone, tablet, a laptop, or a some other cloud connected device (yes, Tesla cars are could connected), than a traditional car - very trendy, shiny and on bleeding edge of technology.

Last edited:
Tesla is not a real car company. They also make clothing (including short shorts) - it doesn't make them a clothing company or a fashion designer either. They are a Silicon Valley tech company which happens to make cars. Their behavior is more consistent with Silicon Valley companies than automotive companies. Tesla products are closer to a cell phone, tablet, a laptop, or a some other cloud connected device (yes, Tesla cars are could connected), than a traditional car - very trendy, shiny and on bleeding edge of technology.

True, and part of the above is what makes them successful in revolution of the transportation industry, something Real car companies have not done in 100 years.

Having said that, I believe Tesla has to supply car parts for 10 years by law. Too bad that can't be extended to EVSE.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I've heard the 10 years and "by law" claims before. Out of curiosity, can you point me to something that says such a requirement actually exists?

I found these two (for example) asserting it's a myth:
Orphan Cars And The 10 Year Parts Myth
Are Auto Manufacturers required under US Federal Law to provide parts for a set period of time?
According to your link, there is a "kernel of truth to it"

Tesla has an 8 year warranty on the powertrain, so if it was a powertrain part I would say they have to provide spares for that time.

If they resold a 3 YO car, and it came with a 4 year warranty on the car and equipment, such as the MC, they would have to supply a spare for that time period.

Tesla has an 8 year warranty on the powertrain,
No. Teslas do NOT have an 8 year powertrain warranty. They provide 8 year warranties on the drive unit and battery pack (Vehicle Warranty).

As for "kernel of truth", one of the answers says
The claim is false (or at least misleading) in almost all respects. However, as is often the case, it springs from a kernel of truth. Albeit a truth which is altogether rather more mundane and unremarkable in character.
About the closest thing I've heard of to a 10 year "requirement" is related to recalls.

Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?

Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
No. Teslas do NOT have an 8 year powertrain warranty. They provide 8 year warranties on the drive unit and battery pack (Vehicle Warranty).

As for "kernel of truth", one of the answers says

About the closest thing I've heard of to a 10 year "requirement" is related to recalls.

Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
In a Tesla, the power train IS the drive unit(s) and battery pack. Seems kind of a silly thing to get caught up on.

In a Tesla, the power train IS the drive unit(s) and battery pack. Seems kind of a silly thing to get caught up on.
Not silly at all. Many many people here on TMC keep saying or asserting there is some 8 year "drivetrain" or "powertrain" warranty and then they discover that something that helps "drive" the vehicle (e.g. half shafts) aren't covered. And, many people have had to argue/clarify. A few examples below:
2015 Model S 70D powertrain warranty?
Clunking sound is costing me a bundle to fix out of warranty
Model S Aftermarket CV Axles - Success! "Tesla took the car and diagnosed the same thing, but said CV axles were not covered under the powertrain warranty" -- umm.. there isn't one beyond the basic 4 year/50K warranty
Drive Unit Failure- No warranty- Going to Catalog my experience with repair or replacement
Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?
High mileage issues (long and frustrating)
First 3rd party extended warranty for Tesla’s
Used Tesla S issues?
Question on powertrain warranty
Charger repalcement part of the 8 years/unlimited miles warranty?

Please find official wording on tesla.com or teslamotorsclub.com (not part of the forums) stating that Teslas have an 8 year "power train", "powertrain", or "drivetrain" warranty. Unless you can find and provide it, it's best to stop talking about an 8 year powertrain warranty that Teslas don't have.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
According to your link, there is a "kernel of truth to it"

Tesla has an 8 year warranty on the powertrain, so if it was a powertrain part I would say they have to provide spares for that time.

If they resold a 3 YO car, and it came with a 4 year warranty on the car and equipment, such as the MC, they would have to supply a spare for that time period.

Actually they have no obligation to provide spare parts at all. They can just chose to replace the vehicle if something covered by warranty fails and can't be repaired and there are no replacement parts.

Look at what is happening with the Roadsters now. Tesla is paying over market value for them so it can strip them down for parts to repair other Roadsters. (And, as far as I know, there aren't any even under warranty anymore.)

True, and part of the above is what makes them successful in revolution of the transportation industry, something Real car companies have not done in 100 years.

Having said that, I believe Tesla has to supply car parts for 10 years by law. Too bad that can't be extended to EVSE.
I guess we'll see in the near future whether or not the cell phone lifecycle model works for cars. I suspect Elon would love it if people bought a new Tesla every 2 years and just chucked the old one in the trash, or traded it in to Tesla for 20% original price for recycling.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I guess we'll see in the near future whether or not the cell phone lifecycle model works for cars. I suspect Elon would love it if people bought a new Tesla every 2 years and just chucked the old one in the trash, or traded it in to Tesla for 20% original price for recycling.
That would make Tesla an even worse choice for environmental responsibility than a diesel F-350.