Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Failure- No warranty- Going to Catalog my experience with repair or replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is awesome!!! I’m glad to hear it all worked out for you! How long did the install take?

I’m still getting my motor sourced, I found an eBay seller that has a p85 motor from a 2016 he said he will ship it for 6000$ to my door. What do you think, good deal?

My plan is coming together I’m going to swap with a new engine and try to repair my old one and sell it to offset the cost, that’s the best I got so I can be mobile ASAP.

It took 5 hours, approximately. I would contact @AutobahnEV, as yesterday he stated he did have another P motor in stock. I do not have any details on it.

The wording I used is directly off of Tesla's website.

Really? Can you link me to where they say that as I have never seen that on the Tesla site. Here is their warranty page: Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Your Model S or Model X is protected by a 4 year or 50,000 miles (80,000 km) (whichever comes first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty and 8 year or unlimited miles Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty. These warranties cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use during the coverage period.

And the warranty document: Tesla

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty

The Tesla lithium-ion battery (the “Battery”) and Drive Unit are extremely sophisticated powertrain components designed to withstand extreme driving conditions. You can rest easy knowing that Tesla’s state-of-the-art Battery and Drive Unit are backed by this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty, which covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Battery or Drive Unit, subject to the limitations described below. If your Battery or Drive Unit requires warranty service, Tesla will repair the unit, or replace it with a factory reconditioned unit. When replacing a Battery, Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred. To provide you with even more assurance, this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a Battery fire even if it is the result of driver error. (Coverage will not extend to damage that had already been sustained before a Battery fire occurred, or to any damage if the Battery fire occurred after your vehicle had already been totaled.) Your vehicle’s Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of 8 years, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first.

So all of their official documentation, that I can find, only says "Drive Unit". The only mention of powertrain is that the battery and Drive Unit are powertrain components, but I'm sure the cooling system, charging, and half shafts would be powertrain components as well.

@sledom - contact @AutobahnEV about your drive unit replacement.

He completed mine today, and I could not be happier. Super quiet motor (the old one was loud - not milling, just LOUD) and great work.

You will need to reflash firmware after the install. We confirmed that today. The car would not run until the firmware on the new drive unit was sync'd up to the gateway.
Thanks for the advice I just got off the phone with autobahnev, seems like a nice guy and was willing to ship a 2014 driveunit to me here in WA. I’m tempted to just get it from him but I might be able to get a 2016 driveunit for a few more $$$ hopefully that will ensure a longer future of the DU. I’m still going to try and repair what I have so maybe I can sell the repaired unit to offset some cost. I would like to have the drive unit ordered by the end of next week at the latest.

That would be Big Government Interference in our lives..
I do agree. The point that I terribly made was referring to these restricted parts, or parts in general. If there is any requirement for manufactures to keep parts available for sale, maybe this would untie the hands of Tesla to allow the do it your self crowd to get the replacement parts that are needed.

Sooooo I found a 1025276-00-q guy says it’s from a p85+

Does anyone know if a p85 + motor is compatable With a standard p85 also I thought the “p” revision was the most recent but this is a “q” revision. Is this something I should go after?

Sooooo I found a 1025276-00-q guy says it’s from a p85+

Does anyone know if a p85 + motor is compatable With a standard p85 also I thought the “p” revision was the most recent but this is a “q” revision. Is this something I should go after?

According to my service invoice from December 2015, that's the exact same part that Tesla put in my S60. (It's an original 2013 S60.) So it seems like it should be compatible with your car, too.

Do we really know that? Would a performance motor not work in a non-performance car? It could be Tesla only had performance drive units on hand when they replaced mine. All I know for sure is my invoice says 1025276-00-Q.

The Q revision is a non-performance motor as far as everything I have seen. And Tesla putting it in your non-performance acr would seem to confirm that.

Sure:
Model S | Tesla Under the specs section

Regardless its all semantics, which is why I thought it was rude of the previous poster to mention it in the first place.
Not rude. That product page is a moving target and who knows what the marketing department was thinking?

Many folks have made the mistake about talking about an 8 year/infinite mile or 125K mile powertrain/drivetrain warranty on Model S when there isn't one (sometimes including components that aren't covered by the drive unit warranty). There are countless threads on this and it's been covered and corrected countless times.

Besides the warranty page and docs already menntioned, see https://web.archive.org/web/20140815203753/https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty was when it was first announced in 2014. Notice the mention of drive unit? Model S Specs | Tesla Motors also talks about a drive unit warranty, not powertrain nor drivetrain warranty.

Being specific about drive unit, matching the warranty pages and docs avoids confusion and ambiguity.

BTW, I'm not the only stickler about being accurate here. Examples:
Warranty and maintenance
Charger repalcement part of the 8 years/unlimited miles warranty?
Has Tesla ever had Unlimited Mile Warranty?

See why the OP at Half shaft cured my issue can be confused and why being specific about the DU is much better?

Last edited:
"The car has no warranty and TESLA won't touch it so I'm on my own."

Sorry, it was in a PM that he elaborated on the reasons why, but this is typical Tesla BS.

I love Tesla, but the repair side of this company is run like @#$%. They could be making SO MUCH on spare parts for people that want to undertake these repairs.
I really feel like they don't want or need the repair business!! To me it seems all they are focused on are sales. Why is it they don't have any repair only service centers? They are all in one and if you have been to one in So.Ca. lately they are Crazy Busy especially after they started cranking out the 3's. They even now want to Uber you back home or work since they don't have enough loaner vehicles including there new fleet of ICE cars they will ask you to take. I'm not complaining about the service just an observation they need more service centers and reap the repair business as well as service salvage vehicles if the customer is willing to pay the price!

I really feel like they don't want or need the repair business!! To me it seems all they are focused on are sales. Why is it they don't have any repair only service centers? They are all in one and if you have been to one in So.Ca. lately they are Crazy Busy especially after they started cranking out the 3's. They even now want to Uber you back home or work since they don't have enough loaner vehicles including there new fleet of ICE cars they will ask you to take. I'm not complaining about the service just an observation they need more service centers and reap the repair business as well as service salvage vehicles if the customer is willing to pay the price!
I think it's Simple supply and demand. Tesla have people waiting on cars to be built and they have every available part going towards that. If they take a widget from the supply line it holds up a $80k car for a 200 dollar part, this doesn't make sense when they are strapped for cash. Same reason why they are fixing cars by LRU (Line Replaceable Units) Aviation does this. It's easier to replace a whole DU rather than supply the bearing. Tesla is working through the Logistics of their suppliers, and they can't afford to buy a bunch of extra parts to warehouse and not be used. To pull apart a DU at the SC is asking for trouble at this time. Lets say we think it the bearing in a DU. So the SC orders the bearing, this is now pulled off the line. 3 days FedEx the bearing shows up, the SC takes a team and tears down the DU, now every SC has to have all the special tools (cost unknown) also training. Then they find they need another 20 dollar part, same process. For the same time they can take out a whole DU, then send the DU back to the factory where they have a smaller team that does this all day with the parts right there...Cost savings for them.

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer