Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be nice to have a back refresh, I'd like to see the backlights a bit more refined like on the roadster :

Capture d’écran 2018-02-19 à 00.52.28.png

The thing you see the most from other brands is they tweak the lights and call it a day. Make them at but more aggressive and pronounced in the back. Could see them lose the chrome trim as well. But I don't think they will do much with the exterior. The knock when compared to Germany lux brands has always been the interior. The exterior is already differentiated from they model 3. If model 3 is going to go all the way up to 85,000+ for a 3-P80D, then the model S will need to have now value in comparison.

Reactions: dc_h
If someone bought a S/X 2-3 weeks ago? that equates to loyalty? so they deserve the M3's ahead of day one line waiters? Is that what you are equating this too?

Jesus, I get that people are frustrated, but this isn't a forum for everyone to continue whining. S/X owners will be prioritized, people that purchase S/X will cut the line. This was the publicly announced policy from day one. If you stood in line (as I did) and paid attention you understood this. THIS POLICY WILL NOT CHANGE, just because reservation holders have grown impatient.

Let's move on to something that matters.

Thank you.

Jesus, I get that people are frustrated, but this isn't a forum for everyone to continue whining. S/X owners will be prioritized, people that purchase S/X will cut the line. This was the publicly announced policy from day one. If you stood in line (as I did) and paid attention you understood this. THIS POLICY WILL NOT CHANGE, just because reservation holders have grown impatient.

Let's move on to something that matters.

Thank you.

I've found my peace. There will be a S/X refresh coming out soon. Go for it guys buy more S/X and cut the line.

Reactions: jhm
We will see. You could say the same for the Roadster.
Remember: the factoty is the product. I don't see any issue of having more models than just 3Y. after a successful 3 and maybe Y ramp.

And how long has it been so far, and how much longer until the new Roadster hits? Now use that same time period - what will Tesla have on its hands? And how will they manage significant enough upgrading on S and X? Consider as well, Tesla already said no new battery cells for S or X and production held at 100k for both. Think about it for awhile.

Reactions: Starno
And how long has it been so far, and how much longer until the new Roadster hits? Now use that same time period - what will Tesla have on its hands? And how will they manage significant enough upgrading on S and X? Consider as well, Tesla already said no new battery cells for S or X and production held at 100k for both. Think about it for awhile.

What Elon said was no plans at that time. But think about it logically. If the most expensive part in the car can get 20-30% cheaper and the demand just took a hit because of the loss of fed tax credits, just about the time the Porsche mission E goes on sale. Maybe just maybe plans will change. If the interior is refreshed, what a great time to make room for the marginally taller cells? Why invent the perfect cell for vehicles and not use them in all your vehicles? Just saying.

Maybe they won't but they sure as hell should.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I suspect that when the eventual S/X refresh happens, they'll apply lessons learned from 3 production (which might make the production methods more similar to Y production methods than 3, depending on the timing). I expect they'll implement the new techniques like leaving the roof open for robot assembly access until late in the production cycle (like the 3), for example. I also expect the single vent across the dash, but they might still keep a gauge cluster for the driver (and maybe HUD too, but I'd expect both rather than HUD only). I'd also expect exterior styling more in line with the 2020 Roadster and Model 3, but not necessarily identical to them - just sticking to shared design language. Most if not all of these production changes can probably be implemented with minor tweaks to the visible styling, if desired. There's not a need to make the S/X faster to build, but making them easier (and thus cheaper) to build could lead to higher margins.

But I don't think any of this will happen until the 3 ramp is well underway (past 5k/week), since they will have to shut down S/X for a while and ramp back up again, 3 needs to carry the business. I would not be surprised if they did a Model Y reveal after 3 has hit it's stride, then pulled a "one more thing" at the end and bring out updated S/X, much like 2020 Roadster at Semi event.

Whenever the S refresh happens, I request grab handles and adjustable upper seat belt anchors like on the X. Move the car up scale and offer more exterior and interior colors. A silver car with navy blue leather and silver stitching, sharp. How much more could added color choices cost? Cognac leather interior. Geesh, I had that on my 1967 Volvo 122s and that wasn't a fancy car.

I was following my wife today in her new M3 (just wrapped) and it appeared that more people were looking at my 5 year old P85 including taking pics. Her M3 is beautiful but the MS is more aggressive in design to me. I just wish it had her tech and safety features.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
What Elon said was no plans at that time. But think about it logically. If the most expensive part in the car can get 20-30% cheaper and the demand just took a hit because of the loss of fed tax credits, just about the time the Porsche mission E goes on sale. Maybe just maybe plans will change. If the interior is refreshed, what a great time to make room for the marginally taller cells? Why invent the perfect cell for vehicles and not use them in all your vehicles? Just saying.

Maybe they won't but they sure as hell should.

Well, I have a theory about what’s going to happen. If I’m right, some of you are going to be as upset as you were about the SC merge.

I am taking the word FUDster out of my vocabulary. I believe bears are simply misinformed on Tesla's prospects, durable competitive advantages, and valuation, while exhibiting human tendencies of pursuing self-interest to ensure survival, along with common cognitive and emotional biases. The following is my guiding principle, and I believe it applies here.

View attachment 281169
Perhaps you could just replace the word FUDster with ignoramus, many of which are good at heart.

That is very true but I think the biggest benefit of letting S/X owners skip to the front is that these customers will be more forgiving of any mishaps than other mass market buyers. The fact that they already own an S/X and have also put a deposit for a 3 implies that they are happy with their tesla experience so far and likely believe in Tesla's mission. If there is any issue early on, these are the customers you want to be working with...
Yes, and this also gives Tesla time to work out bugs. Those that wait will probably have a smoother first car experience.

Reactions: BornToFly
Status
Not open for further replies.