Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harder to say that exactly... they can produce a maximum of 5,000/week without the Grohmann line, they said that during the call (or in the ER). The Grohmann line is more automated and simply reduces the number of staff required to make the 5,000/week - thus, it is less costly. But it won't go faster than 5,000/week yet.

I wonder if the "Grohmann line," as it is designed & built today, will never be able to produce more than 5,000/week. I suspect that their push from 5,000 to 10,000/week will be accomplished by installing another line. Don't forget that GF1 is only one-third built, and they have already described it as having multiple identical "production lines." The pilot line could be considered complete when it is reliably producing 5,000/week. After that they put in another set of everything to get it up to 10,000/week. Does this make sense?

I don't think they have enough room to stockpile excess produced parts from areas/processes of the factory that are going faster than the next area/process. As they improve, the following area/process would then have to not only catch up with its input areas, but surpass them, in order to absorb the stockpiled stuff (or the input processes slow down). And finally, the slowest area/process kinda dictates the speed of overall production, even if the following areas/processes could go faster - they simply run out of materials to work with, because they're waiting for the slower input departments. This is exactly what Elon has said on many occasions - production goes at the speed of the slowest or least-lucky department.

The Battery Production at GF is supposed to source both M3 and Powerwall right? JB commented on CC that there is a baglog in Powerwall and they would like to fulfill that demand as well ...

The Feb shutdown allowed them to go from 500-700/wk to 1500-2000/wk. The April shutdown is allowing them to go from 2k/wk to 3-4k/wk. Extrapolating from those, of course they would need a shutdown to get more dramatic step up from 3-4k/wk to 5-6k/wk. If they're already near 5k/wk now, then why this shutdown would be even necessary?

Regarding doing a burst rate trial run, I think it's only necessary if you're not sure what other problems you may run into when you crank up the rate. I think Tesla now knows exactly which steps they need to speed up, everything else have already been tested out, and there is no need to continue to do these "burst rate trials".
They probably need to shutdown to support production of Performance and dual motor variants. And, of course, further tweaking.

Is that pack post-"Fluffer-bot"? or was the fluff on the underside of the top of the modules Jack did not want to open?

I think it was a "Fluffer-bot" era pack. The fluff was the three white mats on the top of the battery pack cover:

Battery Pack.png

I have a stupid noob question:
Would it be possible for Tesla to issue a stock offering on the Shanghai stock exchange for their new Chinese subsidy independently from the US TSLA stock ? That could bring in capital for the gigafactory there and not involve Wall Street banks. Also if I understand correctly there is no shorting on the Chinese stock market, so less manipulation possible.

Tesla is New Zealand’s most authentic brand | Scoop News

"Research conducted by branding agency Principals, in conjunction with research and analytics firm The Navigators, has found Tesla to be the most authentic brand in the New Zealand market.

The Brand Alpha study seeks the opinion of New Zealand consumers around four key drivers of authenticity: visibility, value, vitality and virtue. The research is conducted multiple times each year and has been running for more than 10 years with a minimum of 300 nationally representative respondents per wave. The model has been proven to reliably measure the reputation of brands over time and to date, more than 200 brands have been tracked in seven markets across the Asia Pacific."

Status
Not open for further replies.