Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I once thought leather was better. I no longer do. People once thought horses were better than cars. Most no longer do.

It's not about which is "better", it's about which is preferred. I personally like the feel of leather and would've preferred it over the vegan interior of my model 3. But as you said, some people just don't care enough to be swayed away from a Tesla. Others might not be as ambivalent, but they'll probably amount to mouse nuts in lost customers anyway.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It's not about which is "better", it's about which is preferred. I personally like the feel of leather and would've preferred it over the vegan interior of my model 3. But as you said, some people just don't care enough to be swayed away from a Tesla. Others might not be as ambivalent, but they'll probably amount to mouse nuts in lost customers anyway.

I once wore a faux leather jacket. Then one of these vegans berated me for wearing leather. Then it dawned on me that they can't tell the difference. So now I just wear leather jacket and tell everyone it is faux leather.

Was anyone else surprised by the opening of body shops and Supercharger V3 installations this year? I thought they would be really trying to slow down this kind of spending in Q4.

First, we all agree doing the body shops is a no-brainer. Even if they just start one, fixing cars within the same day will show people what's coming.

Spending should be packed into Q2. So we are more sure to have profit the next 4 quarters. This is very important for Tesla. 4-quarters' profit will be a nightmare for the large shorts.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and kbM3
I once wore a faux leather jacket. Then one of these vegans berated me for wearing leather. Then it dawned on me that they can't tell the difference. So now I just wear leather jacket and tell everyone it is faux leather.

You know, I never thought of this before. I'm not sure if you're a genius or not but if I ever get a leather jacket this is exactly what I'll do lol

I disagree.

There will be significant demand for leather for the foreseeable future.

And Chinese will want leather.

About a year before I bought our Volt I test drove a Gen 1 Volt. It was a stripper that had a cheapo non-leather steering wheel. The moment I got in, it was like "WTF is this! Isn't there a leather wheel available?". (All seven of my vehicles have leather steering wheels...) So I fully relate to Elons comment that if to replace leather in a premium vehicle, they need to come up with a material that looks, feels, and wears at least as good.

I think people need to keep in mind that Tesla doesn't have to offer every option that every person might want.

All they have to do is offer sufficient options to sell every car they can make. They may not offer some items on the matter of principle and/or to align more closely with their corporate mission.

There's a market for seats that are hand stitched by Monks from Nepal. And some "carriage maker" can offer that. Tesla doesn't have to.

8-K is out.

Shareholder vote results:
Antonio Gracias: 88.9% for
James Murdoch: 90.4% for
Kimbal Musk: 94% for.

PWC as independent accountant: passed, 99.2% for

Chair required to be independent: failed, 16.2% for

Proxy access: failed, 25% for

I’m surprised by the high level of support for James Murdoch. Does he own shares of TSLA? I would feel better if he owned a significant amount of shares (which he might, I don’t know). Beyond that, it’s uncomfortable having someone from such a pro fossil fuel family on the board. I assume he doesn’t share those views?

There are 1.4 billion cattle across the globe. I would expect that is primarily driven by food production not leather.
My guess is removing leather from Tesla steering wheels is likely to save 0 cattle from being raised and slaughtered.
The lady from PETA should be setting up tables outside supermarkets to educate people about the health and environmental reasons to give up or limit beef consumption, rather than wasting her time lobbying against steering wheel leather.
Steer against steers? Might as well charge against a bull. (Wait, that's what those bears have been trying? Oh never mind then.) ;)
As someone said, animals are being raised to meet demand for meat; no reason to hide the hide too. Situation on Mars may be different. Let me know, send me a postcard. :D

• Funny
Reactions: DragonWatch
Seems like wishful thinking to me.

I don't know on what device I will listen to music with in 7 years but I know what kind of music I will like.

Advancing technology doesn't change that.

Powertrain is like the music playing device. Leather is like the music, a personal preference no one is going to change with technology, design, marketing or marketing options. Or lack of options.
I had a recent test drive in a new 100dvwith the vegan interior. The seat was amazingly my, so much better than early 85’s. I don’t see this as an issue.

Steer against steers? Might as well charge against a bull. (Wait, that's what those bears have been trying? Oh never mind then.) ;)
As someone said, animals are being raised to meet demand for meat; no reason to hide the hide too. Situation on Mars may be different. Let me know, send me a postcard. :D

The other issue is that leather tanneries are historically very toxic and not very environmentally friendly. I think it’s better to find other uses for the cow skin that don’t involve toxic chemicals. Then again I hardly practice what I preach in this regard as I’ve upgraded to leather in every new car I’ve ever bought.

Speak for yourself.
All of this ado about leather is symptomatic of what is going on in the news today. Certain groups, under the guise that they know better and they know 'What I Want', are trying to pilot the ship on which I am on. I know too many times that mob rule has swayed the course of history and you can't have but one captain. So, I have decided that I will be just as proactive as they are in the matter that concern me,
If I want Leather, I want Leather. Please don't misunderstand me. I BLEED badly about animal cruelty. I seldom eat meat and I think we will find out that plants can be traumatized./
Any way, this leather debalcule, is just as troubling to ME, as those who pick on those less fortunate or weaker.
In the case of Tesla, I see Fools who rush in to criticize a company who's goals clearly are for the betterment of all, including the cows.
Those of lessor minds, want to shut Tesla down, they think they know better than the very people who are bringing the world a change that we can live with. A change we need.
It's Tesla's vision and I really, really feel that they are more aware of what is needed and how to fix it and I want to be there.
Shheesh, I feel some what better but I also know some people are already lost and they can't understand.
As I use to tell my G/F, when she got into my magic chariot,
Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, & Buckle Up, You Gonna Like This!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.