Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they ever state why they saw that as a mistake?
They have not confirmed that it was a mistake yet. (They did confirm that they were packing everything supertight in CAD before they built the first Model 3 line, and then... they got very quiet and haven't talked about it since then)

I'll tell you why it was a mistake, though. If you have to reconfigure/redesign one station on the line to fix a bottleneck, and the new configuration takes up two inches more space, you have to MOVE EVERYTHING. It's fine to pack it tight when you're absolutely sure your line can run at full designed speed, but if it might need tweaking, the space gives you the room to do it without moving everything else.

If I'm correct about which line is which, GA2 was the line which was supposed to be 100% automated and they packed everything super close together. GA3 is probably spaced out a bit more. By all accounts most of the innovations on GA2 actually worked (and are used on GA3), but a couple of them failed and had to be replaced with more *space-intensive* solutions... and if you've packed everything real tight together, you see the problem?

I suspect GA2 will come back up after the bugs have been worked out of GA3. Then they'll know how much they have to move everything in order to make GA2 a duplicate of GA3. But that's just my guess.

Props to @SteveG3 for recognizing early on that Tesla’s plan to begin delivering cars to Canada sooner than expected meant that the tax credit trigger could be delayed to Q3. (Post below is from Feb. 12.)

There was a huge amount of skepticism at the time about this theory.

On a related note, insideEVs blew it. Hopefully this will lead to some healthy skepticism about their numbers in the future.

- The recent announcements about Model 3 delivery dates moving up substantially for Canada, along with some other circumstantial evidence, are suggestive to me that there's a reasonably good chance that Tesla will try to push off crossing the 200,000 delivery threshold to Q3. The net result of that scenario would be as many people qualifying for the EV rebate on a Tesla purchase as would have if Tesla had executed perfectly.

Last edited:
Tipranks chart for Chanos hedge fund Kynikos Associates LP

1808130423.jpg
Chanos Underperforms the s&p index and also with greater volatility ,
thus a lower sharp ratio. For all that he extracts huge fees. This guy
Can burn your capital and hurt your retirement.

Last edited:
... Real test tracks testing is expensive, it works only at low volume and this is the real reason why it is not used by most auto-companies...
Another factor is that most auto manufacturing plants are located where weather factors will make track testing impossible for a significant part of the time. Freemont mostly has excellent weather so track testing there is more practical than where there are plants in Michigan, Kentucky, South Carolina, etc.

The total silence on GA2 is interesting. We got confirmation at some point, IIRC, that it was a Model 3 line (not S/X). And they're being very quiet about it. I have to think it's being ripped apart and reconfigured to match GA3, but that's probably expensive and slow -- they made the mistake of packing the equipment together tightly on their first attempt at a model 3 GA line (and only later realized why that was a mistake)

This always buffles me. Why they can set up and run a new GA4 in several weeks but it takes longer to tune up the old GA2?

And even if GA2 is not perfect, I suppose it can produce 1000+ cars per week. Why they idle it when they are deciding how to fine tune it?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Critical but balanced. Usually mentions both sides to challenges in the factory. Some interesting bits of info I had not heard before.

Tesla’s Model 3 Is Elon Musk’s Hell
Agreed. Here's the critical, honest, polarizing conclusion about the mad dash at the end of June for 5,000/week: "it’s unclear whether Musk has put Tesla on a path to lasting greatness or just staved off collapse." This is precisely why the stock refuses to climb right now when we see Tesla on the verge of clearing the last hurdle to profitability. The media, pretty much across the board, is fueling the latter idea rather than the former.

You guys need to stop

Here ya go:

Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk has ‘zero doubt’ about 10,000 units per week in 2018, corrects reservation tally

Stop being blind to the timelines everyone. Just don't be a fanboy over it. I'm a super long, but come on.....

I totally cringed how he said that. I've never felt like the bears had much to hang their hat on generally speaking when they say he makes promises he doesn't keep, because most of the time there is a caveat of just things may change when predicting the future, but in this case he specifically guaranteed 10K per week by the end of 2018. That was really dumb on his part. Not sure why he did that. Oh well. Not the end of the world. Just something he needs to avoid in the future.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Status
Not open for further replies.