Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Porsche/ Audi/ VW - Clearly the world leader in EV press releases. Also, obviously, the ones to trust to put the truth in front of corporate profits When it comes to wholesale environmental damage (source: Porsche/ Audi/VW).

Fully agree. I believe it when I see it.

So far there is no indication nor prove that Porsche will be able to deliver on their promises. Would be great though but hard to be confident about.

Elon did make comments on fast charging that make me question what Porsche is claiming and frankly said Elon was always right with his statements about Battery technology and even underrated what they delivered. Example: P3 0-60 in 3.5 sec.... real live with 3 people: 3.15 sec (
)

We have seen already that the i-Pace does not comply with the promised specs. I would not be surprised if something similar will happen to the Taycan. Until the truth is discovered a lot of positive press buzz goes around about the "superiority" of Porsche versus Tesla and thats a good headline for the media creating clicks and for Porsche to keep their fan base.

So be prepared for years to come they claim to be the best and may delay delivery further. Once the car is delivered the truth will appear but thats not before 2020.

Last edited:
We need a Japanese speaker to properly translate this article:

パナソニック、EV電池セル3割増産 テスラ共同工場が世界最大に

Panasonic, EV battery cell 30% increase in production Tesla joint factory is the world's largest

I don't trust Bloomberg's take on it.

Cleantechnica confirms it:
BREAKING: Panasonic To Increase Gigafactory Cell Production More Than 30% By End Of 2018 | CleanTechnica

The report noted that to deliver the increased production, Panasonic will add three lithium-ion battery cell production lines, for a total of 13 lines in the Gigafactory.

Normal process:
Load car on multi-transport at Fremont
Unload car at holding lot
Load car on multi-transport at holding lot
Unload car at delivery center
Clear car
Buyer shows up
Handle buyer at delivery center plus everyone else

vs

Load car on single carrier at Fremont
Unload at buyer's location
Walk through car features

Good for local deliveries, more convenient for buyer.
Less steps/ risk of damage
Faster point to point, no need for secondary cleaning
Faster receipt of payment, good for cash flow

Perspective on cost and process for direct to customer delivery: I purchased a (non-Tesla) vehicle and had it transported 1,200 miles from a dealership in Chesterfield, MO to my place of employment in Lebanon, NH. Mine was the only vehicle in the truck. Total cost = $900.
The delivery day was defined a week in advance. The evening before, the driver committed to a 1-hour delivery window. He called again when he was 15 minutes away. I inspected the vehicle and signed the paperwork; less than a 10 minute delivery process. He had driven 18 hours in 2 days. He was an independent driver who specialized in long-distance custom vehicle deliveries. After my delivery, he was driving 2 hours to pick up another vehicle and transport it back to the Midwest. He was very happy with the fee structure. A volume customer like Tesla could likely negotiate a tighter margin.

I agree with Mongo that such a direct delivery process would eliminate the current costs and challenges in the Tesla-to-Lathrop loading and unloading, and the Lathrop to delivery center loading and unloading. It would, as Elon pointed out, eliminate the vehicle wrap cost if an enclosed truck/trailer is used (and decrease paint defects from transportation).
It would also eliminate the delivery center challenges of buffering the vehicles for days in a parking lot, and pre-delivery detailing. It would eliminate the cost and delays/frustration of the multiple-employee delivery center process currently described by new Model 3 owners.
Based on my isolated experience and discussion with the driver, I can imagine that direct-to-customer delivery might be a reasonably cost-effective alternative within a largish radius from Fremont (500 miles or possibly more).

Last edited:
From the market action thread...

I do not have an access to the original article (Japanese) but could locate a SNS post which seemed an exact copy of the original. According to it, They will increase the capacity to 35GWh by adding 3 more lines which is more efficient than the current 10 lines.

The math doesn't seem to square perfectly. I wonder if anybody here has some insight as to what is off.

Original 10 lines: 10 lines x 14 machines x 750k cells per month each x 18 watt-hours per cell x 12 months = 22.68 Gigawatt-hours
Add'l 3 lines: 3 lines x 14 machines x 975k cells per month each x 18 watt-hours per cell x 12 months = 8.85 Gigawatt-hours
Total = 31.53 Gigawatt-hours

upload_2018-7-31_9-23-57.png

HEADLINE: Shortsville Times

Sharks see blood as Tesla surfboard passes by

I don't think I want the bottom of my surfboard to be red.

View attachment 321857

HEADLINE: Shortsville Times

Sharks see blood as Tesla surfboard passes by

I don't think I want the bottom of my surfboard to be red.

Sharks cannot see color..... so you are safe :) ....unless you have fear ..... that they can sense....so maybe you are not .... now as you know...

Sorry Mod, not related to investment somehow ..... but every investor counts!

Last edited:
Volkswagen might have to recall 124.000 of their BEV and PHEV cars. The charging equipment (from an external supplier) containts Cadmium… just a small amount of 0,008 g… Cadmium is highly toxic and forbidden in any parts of cars.

source (in german):
VW droht Rückruf durch das Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt wegen Cadmium

"Mit diesen Ladegeräten wurde in den vergangenen sechs Jahren ein Großteil der von VW, Audi und Porsche hergestellten Elektroautos ausgestattet"

In the last 6 years a majority of VW and Porsche EVs was equipped with that device.

Production increasing, demand sustained to increasing, parking lots are full, and now
deliveries are increasing and finally Panasonic is increasing production which corroborates
The rest. Basically The ramp is for real, and profitability is approaching quickly.

Now is that sufficient for the stock to rally.
The above are necessary conditions, but are they sufficient?

Do we have to prove competition is a non issue?

Do we have to prove that capital raises are another non issue?

• Love
Reactions: Skryll and neroden
Production increasing, demand sustained to increasing, parking lots are full, and now
deliveries are increasing and finally Panasonic is increasing production which corroborates
The rest. Basically The ramp is for real, and profitability is approaching quickly.

Now is that sufficient for the stock to rally.
The above are necessary conditions, but are they sufficient?

Do we have to prove competition is a non issue?

Do we have to prove that capital raises are another non issue?
Don't you know? All of that is solid indications that bankwupsy is imminent. Making cars is bad, shipping cars is bad, selling cars is bad, and most certainly, increasing all of those things is really bad.

You have to wonder if any of the social media haters especially those with short postions are familiar with this SEC guidance.
SEC.gov | Updated Investor Alert: Social Media and Investing -- Stock Rumors

SEC Enforcement Action Involving Social Media and Market Manipulation

The SEC has charged individuals for committing securities fraud through the use of social media.

In a recent Enforcement action, SEC v. Craig, the SEC accused an individual of manipulating the share prices of two publicly traded companies by tweeting false and misleading information. The defendant allegedly tweeted rumors that federal law enforcement was investigating a technology company for fraud, and that a biopharmaceutical company had tainted drug trial results and a federal government agency seized its papers. The SEC asserted that these deceptive tweets were made from Twitter accounts mimicking established securities research firms. The hoaxes allegedly caused investors to lose more than $1.5 million.

In SEC v. McKeown and Ryan, the SEC obtained judgments against a Canadian couple who used their website (PennyStockChaser), Facebook, and Twitter to pump up the stock of microcap companies, and then profited by selling shares of those companies. The couple allegedly received millions of shares of these companies as compensation and sold the shares around the time that their website predicted the stock price would massively increase (a practice known as “scalping”). The SEC’s complaint alleged that the couple did not fully disclose the compensation they received for touting the stocks. The court ordered the couple and their companies to pay more than $3.7 million in disgorgement for profits gained as a result of the alleged conduct, and ordered the couple to pay $300,000 in civil penalties.

SEC Definition of Manipulation
SEC.gov | Manipulation
Manipulation is intentional conduct designed to deceive investors by controlling or artificially affecting the market for a security. Manipulation can involve a number of techniques to affect the supply of, or demand for, a stock. They include: spreading false or misleading information about a company; improperly limiting the number of publicly-available shares; or rigging quotes, prices or trades to create a false or deceptive picture of the demand for a security. Those who engage in manipulation are subject to various civil and criminal sanctions.

Can anyone think of any investment sites spreading false and misleading information?

Last edited:
. Electrify America actually talks about 320 kW as a result as they don't believe anyone is working at 1,000 volts.
I wanted to ask about this 320kW number, would you mind sharing where you've seen that?

As 800V seems to be what all the "high voltage packs" are based on, and the ABB 350KW chargers they are installing max at 375A per handle, that would be a theoretical 300kW (and more like ~265kW in practice). If they are passing on ABB's "375A @ 900V" spec, that would be ~338kW

EA's press releases for Gulfport and Fincastle locations both use the 350k spec...

Status
Not open for further replies.