Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just talking with a buddy and he was saying that gasoline cars will have better acceleration when it is up to speed then an electric car. He was saying a BMW M3 could probably accelerate faster from 50 miles/hr to 75 miles/hr then the performance Model 3. Do you guys have any information on this?

Another data point: Last I checked Model 3 LR crushed the competition from 45-65 MPH. Performance Model 3: Excited or Disappointed? (post 94)

Hopefully we'll have data on P3D soon but seems likely to be the same outcome.

some notes on porsche taycan review: Porsche reveals and explains the Taycan all-electric powertrain in detail
on battery development - "“It was a major challenge to achieve such enormous battery capacity both for charging and discharging over the entire temperature range,”
so what, its a 90KW battery to drives the distance of tesla 75D which has been available for years vs car coming to market end of 2019.

on charging - "“adding 400 kilometers in roughly fifteen minutes.”"
model 3 charges at 756 kilometers per hour on supercharger v1 (189 kilometers in 15 mins). game on!

I still keep test driving every chance I get, 9.3k miles since january :)
these are rookie numbers. i'm close to 7k since beginning of may :)

I would say it will reduce production costs. I'll betcha they're going to apply the Model 3 wiring harness simplifications, since those are known to be a major source of cost reduction.

Whether it will increase margin... well, that depends. Tesla *could* choose to cut the price and increase production instead. (There is some evidence that the S market is saturated at the current base price, but drop it even $5000 and the market will increase massively.) If process simplifications allow the line to be sped up, that might make a lot of sense.

OTOH people who are more used to and like the traditional interior design may shrug back.
I expect a rush of orders for the "old" design before it goes away, which is a fine thing. Some people like the old, some like the new, both will order.[/QUOTE]
A redesign should reduce costs of production. Streamlined model 3 electricals, improved procurement power, reduced man hours to build each car, and perhaps increase capacity with fewer employees. If parts are shared it will increase procurement contract strength. If they could make 10,000 more cars with fewer people, and refresh and improve the product at the same time, it will improve margins for the SX and model 3 as well. It will be interesting to see the timing. Probably too much happening altready to make a big change.

some notes on porsche taycan review: Porsche reveals and explains the Taycan all-electric powertrain in detail
on battery development - "“It was a major challenge to achieve such enormous battery capacity both for charging and discharging over the entire temperature range,”
so what, its a 90KW battery to drives the distance of tesla 75D which has been available for years vs car coming to market end of 2019.

model 3 charges at 756 kilometers per hour on supercharger v1 (189 kilometers in 15 mins). game on!

these are rookie numbers. i'm close to 7k since beginning of may :)
Didn't their battery manufacturer just announce that the cell that they intended to use has been delayed because of chemistry issues?

The Tesla twitter account just liked this tweet Casey Neistat on Twitter

20180730_Tesla_Sales.jpg

The main takeaway is that the estimate has to in the ballpark for Tesla to give it legitimacy with a like. Kudos to Zachary Shahan for getting close.

Tesla introduces and sells out of a surfboard in less than 24 hours
Limited Edition Tesla Surfboard

Man these guys know how to sell stuff: ‘Model S, X and 3 can comfortably accommodate this surfboard on either the inside or outside of the vehicle.’

Edit: Some on Ebay already for 4k+. They do look cool being black on top and red on the bottom. I feel Elon could sell Tesla pitchforks if he wanted to and sell out in hours.

Bear with me, this is NOT off topic:

Recently there is a Chinese movie took the country by storm,
我不是药神 - 维基百科,自由的百科全书

While it talks about a much wider problem, one of the things it revealed, is that when it comes to pharmaceutical companies, China is behind India. Generic drugs, things like anti-biotics, ibuprofen, effectiveness of the Chinese products are lower, so that Chinese consumers are forced to pay sky high price for imported ones.

People found out that it is not only phama. chemical engineering in all different areas are affected, this include plastic, and batteries. Yes, batteries. Turned out the quality of the cells depends a lot on how well you can precisely control the combination of ingredients.

Now that this problem gained national attention, I am sure it will be solved. However this is not something can be done in several month. we are talking probably years.

So next time when news say about Tesla killers from China, maybe we should check on the level of imported generic drugs first.

They continue: "That leads us to charging. They say that their 800-volt system will enable the Porsche Taycan to reach a charging capacity of 350 kW"

Typical peak power delivery is probably begins to taper much after 50% SOC, which on an ~800V system (192S) is about 700V. To get 350KW delivered to the pack would require 500A at that voltage.

That will require liquid cooled connectors and cables... which could happen, but I've not heard of any of the "350KW" installations using those yet.

It also would require a 90KW pack to accept a charge rate of ~3.9C. That also is significant.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that although the Taycan may be able to utilize a 350KW charger, I suspect it will never charge at 350KW...

They continue: "That leads us to charging. They say that their 800-volt system will enable the Porsche Taycan to reach a charging capacity of 350 kW"

Typical peak power delivery is probably begins to taper much after 50% SOC, which on an ~800V system (192S) is about 700V. To get 350KW delivered to the pack would require 500A at that voltage.

That will require liquid cooled connectors and cables... which could happen, but I've not heard of any of the "350KW" installations using those yet.

It also would require a 90KW pack to accept a charge rate of ~3.9C. That also is significant.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that although the Taycan may be able to utilize a 350KW charger, I suspect it will never charge at 350KW...

Yeah, it's 350 kW using 1000 volts x 350 amps. Electrify America actually talks about 320 kW as a result as they don't believe anyone is working at 1,000 volts. Anyways, the Taycan is 800 volts and peak charging usually comes at nominal voltage, or about 87% of peak voltage. So that limits it to 245 kW (700 volts x 350 amps).

Actually, Porsche talks about 220 kW charging:
New Possibilities with 800-Volt Charging

That' s a bit older, but likely the actual peak charging will be in the 220-245 kW range.

Yeah, it's 350 kW using 1000 volts x 350 amps. Electrify America actually talks about 320 kW as a result as they don't believe anyone is working at 1,000 volts. Anyways, the Taycan is 800 volts and peak charging usually comes at nominal voltage, or about 87% of peak voltage. So that limits it to 245 kW (700 volts x 350 amps).

Actually, Porsche talks about 220 kW charging:
New Possibilities with 800-Volt Charging

That' s a bit older, but likely the actual peak charging will be in the 220-245 kW range.
Yup.

250KW was about the upper limit I estimated as well, based on a more typical 350A connector.

I was just talking with a buddy and he was saying that gasoline cars will have better acceleration when it is up to speed then an electric car. He was saying a BMW M3 could probably accelerate faster from 50 miles/hr to 75 miles/hr then the performance Model 3. Do you guys have any information on this?
He's wrong about that -- the Tesla will accelerate from 50 to 75 faster than a gas car.

There comes a point when an EV is approaching its top speed and a gasoline car *with gears* starts to get an advantage *from the gears*. It's substantially faster than that, though. You'd have to be at Autobahn speeds.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Status
Not open for further replies.