Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems pretty easy to me: click on Overview, Message Center, and then Shareholder Notices. At that point you should have a list of notices you can read/respond to. Click on the vote link and vote... (If you haven't signed up for paperless notices they will mail you a ballot as well.)

Oh duh! Thanks. I don't know how I missed that.

I love that guy's enthusiasm, but he's a bit of a hyperbull like some people I won't name. Also, he thinks crypto is totally the future...

small data point ;)

Just reserved the model 3 !

Why is this exciting ? Because if you had asked me if i would ever buy a new car 2 years ago i would have laught at you, i couldn't even care less about cars. My wife is also excited about getting the car, which is a small miracle by itself. We don't have a driveway or even a clue as how/where we are gonna charge the car but i am sure we can make it work.

Now how is this relevant as a investor ? it gives me like 1000% confidence that demand for the car will be there for a very long time. Imagine all the people that still haven't even heard of it , and then a colleague or neighbor show off the car. I sure there is gonna be a good conversion rate on those unofficial demonstrations.

of course this is nothing all of us didn't already know, but i am just excited to share this news. it is like were getting another baby :p

I am in the same situation. I went without a car for a year and found I really didn't need one at all (though now I kind of do). GF's vehicle died and she opted not to replace it. Neither of us care of expensive things or trends, but I'm so excited by Tesla I'm going insane. I'm waiting for stock price to increase so I can buy one, probably a Model Y by that time.

The German Government and BKA plans to call next week thousands of cars back and retire them from the registration of that model. This includes Porsche Macan, Mercedes Vio and the VW V6.

All of them are under suspicion that the NOx emissions are too high or not compliant for several reasons.

That story does not end.....

Furthermore the new German coalition plans to make the automakers doing hardware changes to Diesel cars in order to make them compliant. In order to cope with the costs the auto industry is denying to do that costly investment and it looks like at the end the government will jump in. From Automakers proposed SW updates have been proven to be not efficient.

What a disaster for taxpayers. Its a shame!

We need a "that makes me incredibly angry" button. VW and other German OEM's management can rot in hell. Thinks like this, and Rick "oops" Perry trying to subsidize coal, and that little gnome who's been appointed to head the EPA in order to kill it are major reasons why I'll do whatever it takes short of bank robbery to own a Tesla.

Ok back to work.

Elon is running a business, not a charity, they badly need to maximize revenues
To survive. For all the condescending saving angels that feel morally superior
Give it a rest.

Amen. As most on forum know, one of Elon's greatest strengths is not losing sight of the long range goals. And when crunch times come, not being slow to do what he thinks must be done, even if that is disagreeable and unfair to individuals or groups.

Reactions: Icer
Not sure if this has been mentioned. Absolutely excellent documentary on VW crimes and gassing of monkeys with TDI diesel. I already had vowed to never buy a VW/Audi/Porsche but this cements that conviction. These guys really are psychopaths. Very entertaining and jaw dropping: Dirty Money | Netflix Official Site
This was a very interesting show about it. Well worth the time.

Let me clarify that any shift from Musk to a Tim Cookesque CEO should occur long after Master Plan Deux was completed. Even at that point I would like to see Musk stay on.

Point of my comment was that Tim Cook, while no Steve Jobs, has at a minimum been good for shareholders. I do not care for a lot of what Apple is doing from a pure tech standpoint (Beats?!?), but damn if the guy cannot run a business.

Apple is doing fine. Would Apple be doing much better if Jobs was still with us?

This is GREAT news for utility scale Powerpacks. A ruling like this one is what has been holding back a lot of utilities from caring about battery storage. Now they will have to care or get their lunch eaten like we have seen in Australia. The only negative is it will take awhile to implement...

"Today’s final rule takes effect 90 days after publication in the Federal Register. Compliance filings by the RTOs and ISOs are due 270 days after the effective date, with an additional 365 days to implement the tariff revisions."

FERC lifts barriers to electric storage's participation in organized markets
https://www.ferc.gov/media/news-releases/2018/2018-1/02-15-18-E-1.pdf

Apple is doing fine. Would Apple be doing much better if Jobs was still with us?
I think that's a silly question. He was an innovator. Cook is not. Apple has lost that innovator's edge. They are doing their best to try to compete with products like the Roku, Amazon Fire, Amazon Echo, and the Microsoft Surface, but it feels like they have definitely lost their tech edge. Apple is actually not shredding on a competitive Microsoft product? Yep, they're not. They still have their walled garden moat edge, but it's looking way less golden than it did under Jobs. My iPhone 5S has become very glitchy with recent Apple updates to the point where I will be looking very closely at competitor's products for my next phone. It's really hard to believe that Apple is in that situation now, but it's the plain truth. I don't know that much about competitor's phones, but I will soon. Dare I say it, but Apple's software just doesn't work that well vs the competition any more. It's glitchy, which was their huge edge in the past. Hardware doesn't shred over the competition anymore either. But, Apple does have loads of cash. Time for big dividends I guess?

But, Apple does have loads of cash. Time for big dividends I guess?

Buying Tesla (and letting it remain an independent subsidiary) would be a better use of that cash, but barring that, big dividends would be a great idea. If a company can no longer be highly innovative, the best thing it can do is be self-aware enough to either: 1) buy innovative startups, or 2) give that money back to shareholders so they can put it to better use.

http://cncda.org/CMS/Pubs/California Covering 4Q 2017.pdf

Tesla has 1% California Auto Market Share for 2017 !!!

BEVs 2.6% Market Share
PHEVs 2.2% Market Share
HEVs 4.6% Market Share

Total Green Car Market Share 9.4%

BTW No, GreenCarReports, Diesels are not Green cars.

To add to this.

In 2017 Tesla has covered 48% US market share for EVs (excluding Hybrids): Tesla captured 48% if all US battery electric vehicle sales in 2017, over 2X more than Chevy, its closest competitor. • r/teslamotors

Looking at the current ramp of Model 3, 2018 looks to develop into a really embarrassing year for competitors.

As some of you know a model 3 has been lately been taken on a plane to Germany. In the meantime a large German automaker did tear down the car and experts are pretty impressed what they found.

• All in all they pay € 185k to get it (total costs)
  • Its been tested 10 days than teared down in pieces
  • The experts call it clever made, smart, innovative and are pretty impressed
  • Experts from other car producers (obviously invited) agreed to that
One of the very rare really positive and balanced articles I found in the German news in the last 5 years. strongest critic is that you can't get one fast enough...

You may want to run it through a translator to read details. Pretty interesting.

Das Model 3 ist Teslas neues Glanzstück

Last edited:
http://cncda.org/CMS/Pubs/California Covering 4Q 2017.pdf

Tesla has 1% California Auto Market Share for 2017 !!!

BEVs 2.6% Market Share
PHEVs 2.2% Market Share
HEVs 4.6% Market Share

Total Green Car Market Share 9.4%

BTW No, GreenCarReports, Diesels are not Green cars.

The Hybrid/EV market share charts on page 2 are probably what the legacy automakers have been relying on to justify their positions. One interpretation of the data is that there's a 10% cap on the share of the market that are focused on fuel economy. Any gains in BEV and PHEV's had been at the expense of Hybrid vehicles.

What they fail to see is that BEV/PHEV's are actually taking from all ICE vehicle sales - 2017 had fewer vehicle sales than 2016.

Reactions: Manton
Furthermore the new German coalition plans to make the automakers doing hardware changes to Diesel cars in order to make them compliant. In order to cope with the costs the auto industry is denying to do that costly investment and it looks like at the end the government will jump in. From Automakers proposed SW updates have been proven to be not efficient.

What a disaster for taxpayers. Its a shame!
What I don’t understand is that these cars are all over Europe. Is this a fix planned only for Germany, or who will pay to have the Norwegian cars fixed?

Reactions: Gerardf and Runarbt
What I don’t understand is that these cars are all over Europe. Is this a fix planned only for Germany, or who will pay to have the Norwegian cars fixed?

The authorities in Germany have detected that the emissions in certain cities are above the limits. These are standards set for Germany only and as the pollution standards are heterogenous in Europe a ruling from a local court applies only for that country. IOW its just for Germany and still to be decided.

It likely will be either a shared cost between automaker and German Government or just the Government. You can imagine that the German Taxpayer will not take the costs for the Auto Industry cheating in Norway....

As some of you know a model 3 has been lately been taken on a plane to Germany. In the meantime a large German automaker did tear down the car and experts are pretty impressed what they found.

• All in all they pay € 185k to get it (total costs)
  • Its been tested 10 days than teared down in pieces
  • The experts call it clever made, smart, innovative and are pretty impressed
  • Experts from other car producers (obviously invited) agreed to that
One of the very rare really positive and balanced articles I found in the German news in the last 5 years. strongest critic is that you can't get one fast enough...

You may want to run it through a translator to read details. Pretty interesting.

Das Model 3 ist Teslas neues Glanzstück

For those interested, quite good thread at Reddit about this with good translations and insights: German Automaker tested and teared down a Model 3. They are impressed! (in German) • r/teslamotors

Interesting stock action and TMC posters response over the last two weeks.
Pre 4QR CC TSLA at $355 and most are very positive and bullish
4QR CC slight beat on Revenue, slight beat on Expenditures, and reaffirms projection for production ramp.
TSLA tanks to $295 along with a less steep broad market sell off and discussion turns very sour, a couple even asking for Elon's resignation.
TSLA returns back to $335 and most are very positive an bullish.
.....just say'n.

Status
Not open for further replies.