Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General investing ideas, interesting high risk stocks.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ONVO volume has been driving the price up over the last week.

Ftr, this is NOT advice to buy (even though I think this is a cool company). My holding is for the long term. Products like this take a long time to come to market & have many opportunities to make a wrong turn.

Just wondering if anyone around here has any opinions on AAPL... I was contemplating buying in when it was scraping 500 and now it seems like there's just a flash sale on the stock. I'd be in to hold long for a while.

Overall I am optimistic about some things, iOS has been a bit stale lately, but with Jony Ive coming in on that I am expecting some good things. Actual money sales though, i.e. iPhone/iPad are getting a tad saturated, people's iPhone 4s are good enough still, let alone 4S and 5, so people will be upgrading less frequently (or at least I certainly will be).

But yeah, intrigued what some more experienced investors think, and if any of you are in Apple either way!

Charlie -

I use all Apple computers (mac pro, 2 imacs, 2 I phones in the household, multiple ipods. But I recently passed down my I phone 5 to my son and picked up the Samsung Galaxy Note 2...mainly because I needed the bigger screen. But I really love the openness of it vs the restrictiveness of Apple and iTunes. So far very happy the I left iphone. I keep showing my son the cool things the Samsung does and he says he wishes his iphone did this or that. I think apple has lost its edge a bit. Also with no real upgrade to the Mac Pro in years, they are losing a lot of video production people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for some opinions. I am still somewhat unsure, will probably end up observing it for a while longer. I am new to investing, having only started a few months ago (although having always been interested). My only holding thus far is Tesla, and it is a tiny holding, (I'm a student and used some cash I earned at a summer job to buy a little Tesla). I'm certainly in for the long haul there..

it is nice to see some update on their research, as I have found very little online. this is the type of company that gets me wanting to 'roll the dice' with a good chunk of change as it could be a 'game-changer'. however, following my brain, i sold a bit of onvo a while back, recouping my initial investment, and still have some stock left. my gut is telling me go big. What i find really hard to delineate is who else is doing this? It seems that some say organovo has proprietary stuff going on, while others disagree and think others at several universities are doing the same thing.

There are others dabbling in this, but Organovo has managed to get some agreements in place with a few pharmas. The immediate upside (imo) is that the ability to grow tissue for early phases of the clinical trial process will be of great value to the pharma industry -- and from the FDA perspective, it will provide better data (and require smaller data sets) when both the control group and the test group have exactly the same genetic makeup. That will allow the approval process to move a little faster. And time-to-market is a huge factor for those companies.

Then there is just the coolness factor of growing a body part for you. :)

My assumption is that this stock won't pay off for a very long time (though it has easily doubled my investment already). The company could crash and burn. Or not. I just want to be along for the ride on something like this.

There are others dabbling in this, but Organovo has managed to get some agreements in place with a few pharmas. The immediate upside (imo) is that the ability to grow tissue for early phases of the clinical trial process will be of great value to the pharma industry -- and from the FDA perspective, it will provide better data (and require smaller data sets) when both the control group and the test group have exactly the same genetic makeup. That will allow the approval process to move a little faster. And time-to-market is a huge factor for those companies.

Then there is just the coolness factor of growing a body part for you. :)

My assumption is that this stock won't pay off for a very long time (though it has easily doubled my investment already). The company could crash and burn. Or not. I just want to be along for the ride on something like this.

I did what I was advised to do by a smart person once. When investing in a speculative stock, when it doubles the initial investment, sell half of it. From then on you really can't lose. It worked for me with ONVO.

thanks Bonnie :wink:
bought at $3.30 last week and at $4.40 today!

...although I am a little torn and sort of opposed to medical 'improvements' such as this. We already are overpopulated vs other animals and plants on this planet.
My wife should probably have died (Pneumonia 13 times - 4 or so in the first couple of years) I might have died with Occipital fracture when I was 8.
& we have no plans wrt\ having kids, there are always other animals

I did what I was advised to do by a smart person once. When investing in a speculative stock, when it doubles the initial investment, sell half of it. From then on you really can't lose. It worked for me with ONVO.

I did the same awhile back on one of the spikes. It's my 'boutique' stock, fun to talk about but I definitely recognize what a wild card it is.

...although I am a little torn and sort of opposed to medical 'improvements' such as this. We already are overpopulated vs other animals and plants on this planet.
My wife should probably have died (Pneumonia 13 times - 4 or so in the first couple of years) I might have died with Occipital fracture when I was 8.
& we have no plans wrt\ having kids, there are always other animals
While I'm concerned with overpopulation I don't think the answer is limiting medical progress and allowing those already alive to die sooner and suffer more. Better to limit the creation of new people.