Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting complaints about using public level 2 charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in East Hampton Village in NY there are two L2 chargers where you can park and slowly charge (free) while running errands, get coffee, whatever. The other day, I parked there and got a nasty note on my car (from another EV driver) that as a Tesla owner I should only use the nearby supercharger and to leave this for non-Teslas. Have other people gotten such nastiness?

I would take a look at it objectively.

A) Do you need the charge? If not, consider that others might be in need of the charge to get home.
B) Are both spots typically taken? If so, consider sending a request to the business thanking them for the chargers and let them know more would be appreciated.
C) Common courtesy goes a long way, while the person leaving the note failed at that, don’t let that get you down. It is a reflection on them, not you:)

It's affectionately called opportunity charging, you take the opportunity when it's available. It wasn't available for the other person. They should not rely on a slow charger, neither should you. But first come first serve, as long as you respect rules as @jcanoe says. I would gladly move if someone saw me and asked politely because they really need it. I would not feel bad using that plug, not more than any other EV owner. Teslas have access to SuperChargers, the others have access to all those nice CCS chargers everywhere. It's no different.

No, you haven't done anything wrong, and you can safely ignore the criticizm. That said, it's a bit understandable. Tesla created a bunch of proprietary charging other owners can't use, little wonder they resent when Tesla owners use "their" charging stations. The situation now is much easier than when other EVs all had less than 100mi of range, and people who really needed the plug to get home, watched unhappily, while a Tesla that probably didn't used the only plug within their range.

Now there are lots more plugs around, and plenty of other EVs in that 200mi range category, so there's less anxiety and entitlement about the whole thing.

If you are a customer who is visiting the shops or restaurants, as long as you are parked well within the lines, plugged in and actively charging (not exceeding whatever time limit is posted) then you are OK to charge. It is no one else's business to tell you where or when to charge.
Indeed I follow all these rules! It's actually a city charger, not associated with any business. I usually stay 1-2 hrs while grabbing a coffee and grocery shopping... But my charging was also "interrupted" the same day I got the note and I wonder if the person unplugged the charger... (Nothing on sentry cam)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
So in East Hampton Village in NY there are two L2 chargers where you can park and slowly charge (free) while running errands, get coffee, whatever. The other day, I parked there and got a nasty note on my car (from another EV driver) that as a Tesla owner I should only use the nearby supercharger and to leave this for non-Teslas. Have other people gotten such nastiness?
I charged at the new Tesla supercharger in East Hampton last week while I went to the Chutney Company for lunch. But I had no idea there were level 2 chargers. Where are they?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
In general,there is a 2 hours limit, the only thing not nice would be not moving your car when the charging will be turned off.

Good to know where the L2 charger is.
The Tesla supercharger is in a good location, near the train station and the shops on main street. We have a house in Montauk and mostly use the Tesla chargers in town behind the hardware store.
There's also a lot of L2 chargers at the town hall, but that's a stroll from the village. Those are $1/hr. (So for a desperate non-Tesla there are always those.)

If you don't *have* to charge, I wouldn't. Not because you're not allowed to, but clearly because there is someone out there that NEEDS to charge there.

You absolutely can charge there and should use it (it's the only way business and government will realize we need more!) if you need the charge or if it saves you from supercharging later on.

This just goes to show how powerful the supercharger network is and that other EV brands really still lack one of the most important parts of an EV owner experience, reliable and easy charging.

Pat yourself on the back for getting a Tesla!

No, but I'm a contributor and supporter of the offshore wind project. I can see the towers from my house.
I'd be happy if they bring the cable in through Hither Hills, but it looks like its going to Sagaponack.
I spent some time in that part of the world as a young man. What's the general vibe re wind towers. I hope people are accepting. I often drive through a large wind farm in Central Illinois. Intriguing and a little mysterious.

Indeed I follow all these rules! It's actually a city charger, not associated with any business. I usually stay 1-2 hrs while grabbing a coffee and grocery shopping... But my charging was also "interrupted" the same day I got the note and I wonder if the person unplugged the charger... (Nothing on sentry cam)
Got these "Karen" locks for those unwanted unplugs.