Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting seriously tempted by the i-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If these came compatible with Tesla's supercharger network, which Musk has said he is prepared to allow others use, I'd be giving it a good long look when it comes time to upgrade my S. If not, I won't give it a look.

There's no way I can rely on public chargers for travel. Until the competitor has banks of maintained fast chargers compatible with Tesla's SC network, or can use Tesla's, every other EV maker is out for me -- which is too bad.

Completely fair, of course. Public charging infrastructure so far - in most of the world anyway - is inadequate (regional exceptions excluded). I understand that this is a significant consideration for some people, especially those who travel a lot by car or who can not rely on home or work charging.

That said, forgetting UK for a while and the fact that on a small, densely populated island the oft-travelled distances are not that great anyway... personally - even though I'm on the continent - I am not at all concerned about Supercharging. I think the greatest benefit of a large-battery BEV is the daily versatility that comes from frequent charging at home or at work. As people often note here, this is the only charging many need most of the time - and I agree.

Hence, I'd see no issues with owning an I-Pace - as long as it has a somewhat comparable range as my Model S/X have had, I know it'd work for most of my annual driving. For the few times a year I might need an ICE, no matter - even with the Model S/X there are a couple of drives every year that I can not take them on due to lack of sufficient (Super)chargers or too tight schedules, so that's normal anyway.

Reactions: smac
If these came compatible with Tesla's supercharger network, which Musk has said he is prepared to allow others use, I'd be giving it a good long look when it comes time to upgrade my S. If not, I won't give it a look.

There's no way I can rely on public chargers for travel. Until the competitor has banks of maintained fast chargers compatible with Tesla's SC network, or can use Tesla's, every other EV maker is out for me -- which is too bad.

Really that argument is if the cars came with a comparable charging ecosystem (piggybacking Tesla's SpC's or an independent solution).

One thing is for sure the car will almost certainly come with a CCS port. Will VW's network be sufficient (VW to build a ‘nationwide 150 kW+ fast charging network’ for electric vehicles as part of Dieselgate settlement) to tempt buyers.

My personal feeling is the car on the horizon, at least in Europe, with the best charging ecosystem will be the Model 3 if it comes with Type-2 CCS as many have predicted. It would be able to use SpC's, the upcoming European network (Europe is getting a network of ‘ultra-fast, high-powered’ EV chargers) and CHAdeMO via the adaptor.

Now of course these networks are currently vaporware, but then so was the UK SpC network when I bought my Tesla ;)

Saying all that in my experience from a UK perspective, is not lack of rapid charging, but destination charging for business trips. I can get to most places in the UK even with my 60kW pack, do an overnight stay or day of meetings, but need a boost on the way back home due to lack of simple 7kW points. (And be completely honest, actually jumping on a train is often far more sensible, especially if travelling to central London, it's faster than driving and you don't have to worry about parking once you get there).

I can get to most places in the UK even with my 60kW pack, do an overnight stay or day of meetings, but need a boost on the way back home due to lack of simple 7kW points. (And be completely honest, actually jumping on a train is often far more sensible, especially if travelling to central London, it's faster than driving and you don't have to worry about parking once you get there).

Having traveled the UK and many other countries in Europe, it's very different than travelling here. The UK is much smaller than just BC, let alone the rest of Canada. And trains? Those mostly carry coal, lumber and potash around here, not people. If I want to go to Disneyland or Las Vegas, for example, it's by plane or driving. I guess the bus could take me there too, but that's torture. The fact that I can drive to Florida for free is really appealing to me, and it's only in a Tesla that you can do that. I just need to retire!

Having traveled the UK and many other countries in Europe, it's very different than travelling here. The UK is much smaller than just BC, let alone the rest of Canada. And trains? Those mostly carry coal, lumber and potash around here, not people. If I want to go to Disneyland or Las Vegas, for example, it's by plane or driving. I guess the bus could take me there too, but that's torture. The fact that I can drive to Florida for free is really appealing to me, and it's only in a Tesla that you can do that. I just need to retire!
@Canuck for sure. I've not driven that far in the US (a few trips out of NYC into NJ) but it's quite clear the usage patterns are different.

I have done a lot of driving round Europe, as I take annual "epic" driving vacations (last year was from Nottingham UK to drive the Transfagarrassan highway, and the year before to the Arctic Circle taking in the Trollstiggen), this years plan is to do something similar in the US. (Suggestions gratefully received!)

As for retiring, I have been very fortunate to give up work early (42). I have to say early retirement is somewhat overrated , I'm getting bored. I'm itching for projects to do, but subject to extended covenants on working in IT, so I'm doing some hands on remodelling of some investment properties now to pass the time. (This has lead to weeks passing between my Tesla even turning a wheel, as most of the time I'm driving my 15 year old beater full of building materials and not wanting to ruin the nice interior of the Tesla wearing dusty clothing and steel toe cap boots.)

Reactions: Canuck
Regarding price - there was a poll on the Jaguar section of the Norwegian EV forum, where many have communicated with dealers and are reservation holders. This is where expectations are at in Norway:

- 96.5% believe the base I-Pace will start at over 65k USD.
- 83.6% believe the base I-Pace will start at over 71k USD.
- 53.0% believe the base I-Pace will start at over 77k USD.
- 30.6% believe the base I-Pace will start at over 83k USD.

With the Tesla Model X 75D starting at ~85k USD, we can say the I-Pace is expected to cost less than the Model X. As it rightly should, given it's smaller size, lack of towing, lack of supercharging, etc. The Model 3 will be a lot cheaper.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Would never buy a Laguar.
Model 3 design is final and iPace pretty much is too. And Model 3 looks way better

Yes, but no...

i-pace-london-drive-car_04.jpg

18077350_1299745816788794_3955214003429013610_o1-e1493168267697.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the nose, I'd say unnecessarily large. Every time you ask air to change direction, slow down or speed up, drag increases. I am sure the interior will be fine (even superior), but the exterior shows a lot of style over substance.
Robin

Well, I believe the target is 220 miles with a 90kWh pack, so one would assume aesthetics (well Jags idea anyway) are prioritized slightly more than aerodynamics.

Personally, I think the I-Pace looks like a sharp-edged Faraday Future FF91...