Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting seriously tempted by the i-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The UK Prime Ministers have had Jags as their official car...

Pm_jag.jpg

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
the i-pace isn't a model3 alternative... it seems like a reasonable competitor to the model x -- and will be priced similarly.
the tesla informatics, supercharger network, service network (vs limited network for EV's from Jag) may be the differentiating factors.

I wish there was a gentler disagree button, because I don't dislike your point of view - I do kind of understand it. But the thing is, with large-battery BEVs the choice is so limited (and will probably be for a couple of more years) that normal rules don't really apply. After all, people have been coming to Model S from a Prius. Hardly the usual comparison.

And so here I am, another person for whom the next big fight definitely is Model 3 vs. I-Pace, at least for the moment. Why? Simply because they are likely to be the first serious, premium-level large battery cars that are smaller than Model S/X. I am not looking to replace the Model X, but at some stage I would probably want to swap one of my ICEs to a BEV. And there something smaller would be nice.

What are the alternatives? A Model 3. An I-Pace. Maybe the e-tron quattro, but that is probably too large and would actually be more of a Model X competitor. But it really doesn't come down to the usual size or price considerations, because the selection is so small, so it is going to be a compromise in any case... and that will continue resulting in some odd comparisons for the foreseeable future.

• Love
Reactions: smac
The Model 3 is obviously not an I-Pace competitor.

It is for people who want a large-battery BEV in the premium class. I guarantee you it is not just me and @sparkypete doing the comparisons...

Today the large-battery premium BEV is a club of two (cars). In one years time it is perhaps 4-5 cars. All of them will be competitors to each other to some extent. Look at how worried Tesla and Elon are about Model 3 competing with Model S...

I am a Tesla fan no doubt and we are in a Tesla forum I accept, but let me tell you the i-pace is not comparable to a Tesla Model 3 (or MS) in any shape of form simply because there is a very very big difference in the way these two companies approach EV - If you haven't picked up that difference already, I am afraid you will not understand what I mean.

Do tell. What is the mystery difference that is relevant to us.

I am a Tesla owner on my second Tesla and I don't know of a single reason why I shouldn't buy an I-Pace.

I already have a fairly long list of why Model 3 is a no go.

I have a guess what you mean, but then you should do the math - the poster is from the UK, which is a small island where people travel 20 mph (probably because they daren't any faster on the wrong side of the street).

Jag - £40K - 100K (10-15% more than F-Pace)
Tesla - £75K - 170K
I notice a slight difference in the numbers :p

The most recent articles say things like this:

Expect sales of the five-seater to commence in the middle of 2018, with a target starting price under $100,000.

From: 2018 Jaguar I-Pace: A Gorgeous, All-Electric Crossover Headed to a Dealer Near You - Feature

Jaguar's site says:

While electric propulsion systems can be twice as expensive as conventional systems, we assume the I-PACE will be priced 10-15% above a similarly powered and equipped Jaguar F-PACE.

Note the "similarly powered and equipped Jaguar" part. The i-Pace will likely have more performance than the S AWD, which starts at $59,775 here in the U.S. Even with just that, we're talking near the $65-70k range. Add to it the likely upgrades for technology package and a few other things for the computers necessary for connected BEVs, it likely starts around $75k. And that's for a Model 3/Y sized vehicle.

Given that they are outsourcing production to Magna and only making about 13,000 across the 2020 model year, they don't have the means to really drop the price all that much other than the fact that if they don't do it, they will be hit by emissions and fuel economy regulations.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Note the "similarly powered and equipped Jaguar" part. The i-Pace will likely have more performance than the S AWD, which starts at $59,775 here in the U.S. Even with just that, we're talking near the $65-70k range. Add to it the likely upgrades for technology package and a few other things for the computers necessary for connected BEVs, it likely starts around $75k. And that's for a Model 3/Y sized vehicle.

Sounds perfect. Where do I sign up? Oh, Jaguar is already taking names, @smac tells me... :)

Not how I read it, what with being the Model 3 forum and saying things like "the worries I have at the moment in the UK with the Model 3:"
Here is what the OP said:
So - I keep hovering over the order button on a Model S
He is not considering buying a 3. His Model 3 comments are reasons why he doesn't want one.

Joke told by Jeremy Clarkson:

Mercedes Engineer: We randomly select a car on the assembly line, put a cat in it and leave it there overnight. If the cat dies of suffocation by morning, we know the seals are good enough.

Jaguar Engineer: We randomly select a car on the assembly line, put a cat in it and leave it there overnight. If the cat doesn't escape by morning, we know the seals are good enough.

I'm not sure I trust the Indian TATA / Jaguar just as I don't know that I'd trust a Chinese car manufacturer. They've still got a lot to prove in my book as far as safety and reliability. South Korean and Japanese manufacturers came a long way in the last few decades.

No to worry. The smallest Jag, the XE, was rated the highest in it's class in the EuroNCAP safety test.

EURO NCAP NAME JAGUAR XE BEST LARGE FAMILY CAR

Official Jaguar XE 2015 safety rating

The baby Jag performed better than the Model S in every category.

Official Tesla Model S 2014 safety rating results

The Model S also failed to get a good score in the US IIHS crash tests.

Joke told by Jeremy Clarkson:

Mercedes Engineer: We randomly select a car on the assembly line, put a cat in it and leave it there overnight. If the cat dies of suffocation by morning, we know the seals are good enough.

Jaguar Engineer: We randomly select a car on the assembly line, put a cat in it and leave it there overnight. If the cat doesn't escape by morning, we know the seals are good enough.

Which could be extended to:

Tesla Engineer: We randomly select a car on the assembly line, put a cat in it and leave the car outside overnight in the rain. If the cat doesn't drown by morning, we know the seals are good enough

(can you tell my car has had somewhat of an issue with water ingress ;) )

If these came compatible with Tesla's supercharger network, which Musk has said he is prepared to allow others use, I'd be giving it a good long look when it comes time to upgrade my S. If not, I won't give it a look.

There's no way I can rely on public chargers for travel. Until the competitor has banks of maintained fast chargers compatible with Tesla's SC network, or can use Tesla's, every other EV maker is out for me -- which is too bad.

And to @AnxietyRanger - have you ever driven in Europe? We're all crazy fast compared to the US. Plus we have bends!

I watch Top Gear (well, now GT) and Jeremy Clarkson's granny car speeeeeeeedo! (Which went to 20 mph at motorway speeds.)

Anyway, my main point was that Supercharging is not so necessary for many in the UK distance-wise as the Americans on TMC often think. Distance is a very different concept on a small island.

Apologies for the rather vague reference. :)

latest

Last edited:
Reactions: smac