TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

GHGE Cow farts vs Evs

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Sluggabed, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Sluggabed

Sluggabed Member

Excuse the rant but seriously....WTH!?!?!?

Methane-drained cow farts and facial recognition tech in line for funding under Turnbull scheme

Here we have a government pledging $70m into research making cows fart less to reduce greenhouse gas emissions yet we can't have an incentive (only OECD country that doesn’t) for EVs or get rid of the dis-insentives (LCT) already in place. (Not to mention the hundreds of millions wasted into ‘clean coal’ research).

Even if the research turns into something viable it’ll be years before it comes, if ever, into fruition yet here we have a known way to reduce GHGE here and now without costing the government a cent.

Excuse the inner cynic in me however I think a close family member to the PM must be the lone researcher.

Ps. I've written to my local member a while back regarding the Australian Federal EV policies yet get the standard form letter reply... /headbang

• Like x 1
  2. garyjac

garyjac Member

Imbeciles. However, at one time the Dutch government had to import dung beetles to deal with the piles of cow pats causing "green house" issues in the Netherlands. The little buggers (beetles, not the Dutch) bury the shyte and prevent further CO2 and CH4 release.

3. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

You forget to mention that as a result, those buggers now run our country from Parliament..

• Like x 2
  4. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

As I understand, it there is already a partial solution to this problem, garlic. I can't paste a link for some reason. 40% reductions in methane emissions with a garlic extract added to feed is the summary summary.

Anyway, this has got to be some of the lowest hanging fruit in the battle against GHG emissions.

5. garyjac

garyjac Member

Ah, but PaulusDB, in Aus we don't have politicians smart enough to bury dung in the first place :D

6. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

But I witnessed some other solution you've worked out in your area. Just flood the land from time to time. (I was there Christmas 2010.) The Dutch reject this option.

7. garyjac

garyjac Member

Not always an available option, but very tempting.

8. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Actually it's not as bad as it looks.
    The methane reduction research is just one of many projects seeking funding from the new $200M fund.
    The government is putting in 70 million (over 10 years), CSIRO another 30 mill, and private sector 100M.

The payoff for methane reduction really is huge, because of how much more 'greenhousey' methane is than CO2. Worth a coupla million eh?

What they should really be throwing money into is solar PV.
    The feed-in tariff is ludicrously low, basically a price fixing scheme by the utilities with the government's blessing.
    Making the feed-in tariff 20c or so would immediately make rooftop solar cash positive and pretty much every home owner would do it.

9. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Australia uses about 230 TWh / year (terawatt hours).

A $300, 300W panel produces about 300 x 5 x 365 = 547,000 Wh each year.

Leaving aside the rather tricky issue of storage, to provide the same power per year you'd need:
    230,000,000,000,000/547,000 = 420 million panels at $300 each = $126 billion in panels.

But, that's for 25 years electricity (or whatever the panel life is), so about $5 billion a year.

$5 billion sounds like a lot, but then you can subtract the cost of all existing power generation which much surely be several billion.

Put all in the context of last year's budget, health was about $70 billion, social welfare about $150 billion.

10. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

Good call but those in charge have other priorities, here's a promotional video for their latest brainwave-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_C8S4Bz91M

• Funny x 1
  11. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Hey they just approved a $21 billion coal mine today.

12. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Panel Effie cry is about to jump. LG are bringing out a 375watt panel in 2017, I believe and it is likely to go higher than that.

13. Mark E

Mark E Member

That's pretty impressive - especially if the prices remain constant. That would mean I could, in theory, put about 20kW on my roof.

14. baillies

baillies Member

Yes been waiting for better panels, hoping powerwall 3 will arrive here with model 3 and I can get 1 install from Tesla! Then minimal fossils will be disturbed in my future!

15. garyjac

garyjac Member

"Panel Effie cry" Damn those speech to text translators !

16. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

That's an average of 100kWh per day of production. You'll have to do a lot of driving to use it all!

17. Mark E

Mark E Member

More like 80kWh in Sydney NSW, (about 4:1) but yes - a lot of driving.

In Winter it'd be something like 30kWh, summer time 120kWh..

• Informative x 1
  18. Sluggabed

Sluggabed Member

#19 Sluggabed, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  19. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member