Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is your interior black?

and you tinted the windows?

must feel like a cave.
I'm having difficulty understanding the concern. Having a light interior would defeat one of the main reasons that I tint a car: Security and privacy. With a dark interior and proper tinting, it is all but impossible to see into the rear section of the car. With a light interior, it is quite easy (same reason that good travel bags are lined with light material even when the outside is dark). When inside of a tinted car, looking OUT, you almost forget that there is tint... just the glare is missing. Sort of like wearing dark glasses. I wouldn't have it any other way. I haven't had a light interior'ed car, nor an untinted one in 25 years.

I'm having difficulty understanding the concern. Having a light interior would defeat one of the main reasons that I tint a car: Security and privacy. With a dark interior and proper tinting, it is all but impossible to see into the rear section of the car. With a light interior, it is quite easy (same reason that good travel bags are lined with light material even when the outside is dark). When inside of a tinted car, looking OUT, you almost forget that there is tint... just the glare is missing. Sort of like wearing dark glasses. I wouldn't have it any other way. I haven't had a light interior'ed car, nor an untinted one in 25 years.

And I say to each their own. Over 1/2 of my cars have had black interiors... I find that black interiors do get hotter in the summer time than lighter interiors. I also find that it's harder to keep up a black interior car since by the time I notice it's getting dirty it is actually filthy.

I also like the contrast and having something different than what 90% of drivers have.

My current car has a saddle brown interior... Love it, would get that or a cinnamon interior if Tesla offered it. Car before that had a blue-grey interior... still looked way better than black.

Tesla will be white. The only reason I resisted getting white is the $1500 extortion for the color and my wife thinks it's "too" white. She's a racist.

I'm not worried about someone noticing something in my car and breaking into it because I have a light interior... that's what the trunk/frunk and various storage compartments are for. Plus I find if you put a car seat in the back of the car it is a turn off to thievy thieves since they are worried about getting kid germs on them if they break into the vehicle.

tenor.gif

Reactions: MXWing

Its obviously clear to me that darker interiors ( car, house, brain....etc...lol) appear smaller in size than lighter more airy places. That's why companies are building as few walls inside of structures and vaulting ceilings to provide the more open and inviting environments. That's the whole reason why I have a white on white Model 3.

Its a preference not a concern.

Sure...if I needed to hide something inside my car on the seats or something.....then I would need to cover it up with something or get a dark tint. I never have to do that.

I disagree that tints are easy to get used to. One ALWAYS knows its there. Please let me know what kind of tint you have where you can almost forget its there.

Mine was produced in August, picked up last week. Only the top glass is orange. However, I did use solar power meter to test the various tint. It has been very cloudy here in NJ so the numbers are low to begin with.

Outside the car -- 240 W/m2
Windshield -- 84 W/m2
Roof Glass (orange) -- 6.6 W/m2
Rear Glass (not orange) -- 5.9 W/m2 (angle was probably wrong, so I'd say equivalent to roof glass)
Side Window -- 42 W/m2 (angle was also bad)

For comparison, on my other car on a sunny day with Wincos IR film
Outside the car -- 841 W/m2
Windshield (no film) -- 327.4 W/m2
Sunroof -- 10.8 W/m2
Windows -- 35 W/m2

Hope this helps put to bed the orange vs non orange ability to block solar energy.

This is the data this thread has been needing. It shows that the old orange glass and the new non-orange glass are thermally equivalent, validating Tesla's response.

Reactions: ebmcs03
This is the data this thread has been needing. It shows that the old orange glass and the new non-orange glass are thermally equivalent, validating Tesla's response.

Does that test both IR and UV?

If so, then this is just an aesthetic issue it sounds like.

I just don't understand why they revised the back glass but not the roof glass...

My OCD really wants the roof and back glass to match, but I'll survive. :)

Does that test both IR and UV?

If so, then this is just an aesthetic issue it sounds like.

I just don't understand why they revised the back glass but not the roof glass...

My OCD really wants the roof and back glass to match, but I'll survive. :)

I think the meter I used is 400-1100 nm. So this is looking for IR and visible light. Cheap TES 1333 meter. Solar Power Meter TES-1333/TES-1333R|TES Electrical Electronic Corp.

More useful for solar panels etc... I thought the whole thread was about everyone thinking the orange blocked IR? Both the orange and non orange seem to block 97.5% of the solar energy in the 400-1100 nm range. I think that is pretty impressive for stock glass.

I think the meter I used is 400-1100 nm. So this is looking for IR and visible light. Cheap TES 1333 meter. Solar Power Meter TES-1333/TES-1333R|TES Electrical Electronic Corp.

More useful for solar panels etc... I thought the whole thread was about everyone thinking the orange blocked IR? Both the orange and non orange seem to block 97.5% of the solar energy in the 400-1100 nm range. I think that is pretty impressive for stock glass.
Thank you for doing that test. I hope that puts this issue to rest...

Reactions: Ejl80
And I say to each their own.

Absolutely.

I also find that it's harder to keep up a black interior car since by the time I notice it's getting dirty it is actually filthy.
Ewww. I tend to clean things somewhat regularly regardless. As white as I am, and as white as my car's paint will be, I'm way WAY not a light interior guy. Especially not white. Makes me feel a little too pretty...

I also like the contrast and having something different than what 90% of drivers have.
Fair point. We all like being special.

my wife thinks it's "too" white.
Black interiors matter.

I find if you put a car seat in the back of the car it is a turn off to thievy thieves since they are worried about getting kid germs on them if they break into the vehicle.
What works even better? Having a black dog in the black interior behind tinted glass, with the window down a couple of inches. I've witness a scumbag approach the car, try to peer in the 2-inch gap ('cause can't see in otherwise) and be greeting with a healthy, toothy bark from my lovely dog. He didn't stick around for the petting session.

And I think he still has the brown stain in his pants.

Last edited:
Oh hell... we're way off subject now, aren't we? My last post on the interior/tint thread... I promise.

Its obviously clear to me that darker interiors ( car, house, brain....etc...lol) appear smaller in size than lighter more airy places. That's why companies are building as few walls inside of structures and vaulting ceilings to provide the more open and inviting environments. That's the whole reason why I have a white on white Model 3.
More airy, with fewer walls and higher ceilings... these don't make interiors *seem* larger. They *are* larger. If white also gives you that larger feeling, and you seek that larger feeling, then it's super that you're able to order white.

For the record, I wouldn't paint the interior of my house black...

Its a preference not a concern.
Good to hear. Sounded like a concern... or at least awkward judgement about sitting in a cave.

I disagree that tints are easy to get used to. One ALWAYS knows its there. Please let me know what kind of tint you have where you can almost forget its there.
Obviously this is 100% subjective, so there is room for more than one opinion and experience. It's truly the same way that I sometimes forget that I'm wearing my dark glasses (until I walk indoors and wonder why they don't turn the lights on). What "kind" of tint? It doesn't matter. I use 25% on the sides and 35% on the rear (because darker than that, I start to have difficulty seeing out the back at night). During the day, I absolutely forget that the car is tinted. If you are curious... these days I use 3M CS. It is difficult for me to enjoy being in an untinted vehicle, the same way that it is tough for me to be outside in bright sun without my dark glasses.

Now back to the orange IR coating on the roof!

... I am wondering if anyone else has noticed some tanning in themselves while driving the car? Have spent a lot of time in the last 2 weeks or so in the car, and my head feels like I've been out in the sun. When I first got the car I also had a several day stretch spent driving a lot in it, and also got comments about the nice tan I've got. Does anyone else get this? Should we be wearing sunscreen and a hat inside the car??

I believe the side windows and front window have no or little tint / blocking of any kind, so you can get a tan depending on the angle of the sun. The top and rear windows are both UV and IR protected.

Having said that, it's not like the top window is SPF 1 million or anything. Depending on the amount of sun you normally get, you might be getting more than before and thus a tan.
You get a tan from UV, the windshield, roof, and rear glass should all be laminated which should get rid of almost all UV radiation in the car from those pieces. Side windows usually aren't so there is a chance you'll be getting a tan on the left side of you face and left arm as you drive, depending on angle of the sun.

I owned both a Mini Cooper S and BMW X5 with panoramic roof. And they both got limo tint on that supposed to reject like 90+% heat. The Model 3 glass roof without any tint feels cooler than both the Mini and the X5. I thought I would want to tint the roof, but now I may not.