Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just washed me car today for the first time (had it 2 weeks), and I have an orange roof!! Oct build. the back is fine, but the top is orange. Looks stupid. Will they replace it?

This is how it’s supposed to be.
Before July build, the back window either had partial or full orange.

July build and after. The back window has no orange. Only the top glass does.

Nothing wrong with your M3

So before July, both were orange?
It’s suppose to be like this. Before July Build.

9BC2C5B0-4FDA-49A4-8203-765B78AEE918.jpeg

AWD Sept/18 build. VIN 100xxx
Orange top glass. All black/no orange rear glass.

Friend has a P3D who took delivery a month before me. I don't know the VIN or build month.
He has orange top glass and half orange rear glass.

I'm perfectly happy with mine.

While in service's custody, every single piece of glass was damaged on my August build that didn't have the old style IR glass to match the roof.

I guess you could take this either way, but when they replaced all the glass, ugh, I ended up with the old style IR glass on the back glass...

I assume they came out with a new revision for a reason... so not sure if having the old style installed is a positive of negative...

Positive for looks/matching the roof glass, negative for durability or something?

Either way, that is probably a 1 in a million chance of changing from the new style to old style rear glass...

I am cool with it. :)

While in service's custody, every single piece of glass was damaged on my August build that didn't have the old style IR glass to match the roof.

I guess you could take this either way, but when they replaced all the glass, ugh, I ended up with the old style IR glass on the back glass...

I assume they came out with a new revision for a reason... so not sure if having the old style installed is a positive of negative...

Positive for looks/matching the roof glass, negative for durability or something?

Either way, that is probably a 1 in a million chance of changing from the new style to old style rear glass...

I am cool with it. :)
How did every piece of glass get damaged?

screw-up 1: Body shop oversprayed glass.
screw-up 2: Tesla inappropriately scraped glass to remove overspray.

Yep. Tesla said when I picked it up last week that the body shop were the ones that scratched the glass. One of the two groups also damaged the front bumper and had to have it repainted as well. And that's not to mention the holograms they put in the whole car with a buffer and the umpteen interior parts with tool marks and scratches now from replacing all the glass, and some of the work was not even done 5 weeks later and they said they will do it by mobile repair when the parts come in... I assume because they were up against the clock where 30 business days would put it in lemon territory. Promised some concessions, tried to change the concessions when I got there, wouldn't put it in writing, told me if I didn't take my car (and that I can't take their loaner back home) that it would be unsecured in their parking lot and not their responsibility. More that I am leaving out. It was a bad bad experience. Terrible service center. I still am not sure how to deal with it. I emailed the service manager and am waiting back for what was promised, if I don't hear back soon I have to escalate to regional service manager or director of service.

Yep. Tesla said when I picked it up last week that the body shop were the ones that scratched the glass. One of the two groups also damaged the front bumper and had to have it repainted as well. And that's not to mention the holograms they put in the whole car with a buffer and the umpteen interior parts with tool marks and scratches now from replacing all the glass, and some of the work was not even done 5 weeks later and they said they will do it by mobile repair when the parts come in... I assume because they were up against the clock where 30 business days would put it in lemon territory. Promised some concessions, tried to change the concessions when I got there, wouldn't put it in writing, told me if I didn't take my car (and that I can't take their loaner back home) that it would be unsecured in their parking lot and not their responsibility. More that I am leaving out. It was a bad bad experience. Terrible service center. I still am not sure how to deal with it. I emailed the service manager and am waiting back for what was promised, if I don't hear back soon I have to escalate to regional service manager or director of service.

@super20g do you have some pictures or how bad were the scratches. I noticed some scratches on my side windows after paint work was done in that area. I thought I messed up washing but I've always been extra soft, using two buckets and microfiber towels. I had my last car for seven years with no scratches so I was blaming it on soft glass.

@super20g do you have some pictures or how bad were the scratches. I noticed some scratches on my side windows after paint work was done in that area. I thought I messed up washing but I've always been extra soft, using two buckets and microfiber towels. I had my last car for seven years with no scratches so I was blaming it on soft glass.
I do. But I'd like to try to hear back from Tesla first.

And apologies for the off topic rant. I do have the old style glass though! And aesthetically I love that the roof and back glass match now like when I placed the order for the car... I wish the glass wasn't distorted but I guess I will deal with it at this point. Still need to use a thermal scope to test the defrost lines, crossing fingers there are no issues there.

When pricing out a tint job on Model 3, with black rear glass orange top, they said they can only do the rear part of the window and not the top because the tinting is bad on the part that already has the orange coating/tint from the factory. My question is, for those who have the full glass(top and rear) orange (and tint) glass, how did you get it tinted at an aftermarket shop?

When pricing out a tint job on Model 3, with black rear glass orange top, they said they can only do the rear part of the window and not the top because the tinting is bad on the part that already has the orange coating/tint from the factory. My question is, for those who have the full glass(top and rear) orange (and tint) glass, how did you get it tinted at an aftermarket shop?
Your tint shop is just full of it. Mine tinted it without blinking an eye.

Reactions: Big1matt