Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Retractable shade is the biggest question right now. We all heard lots of
dissatisfaction due to heat or cold with non-metal roofs. Removing the mechanism
for opening the roof is not enough to satisfy. Shade is a must (thick shade, not mesh)!

If 3rd, rearmost roof glass, doesn't have a shade, metal roof option will not help rear passengers
keep their head and shoulders warm. Heating requirements, especially with limited vents for
rear will be a nightmare, especially with a baby/child sitting in the back seat.

Two retractable shades that slide will be enough to satisfy all 5 passengers. Rear door manual
shades would be a bonus I would consider for 150€.
0313_teslaroof.jpg

0313_teslaroof_Copy.jpg

So what you're saying is you want this? Tesla's already done that.

Silver-Tesla-Model-3-trunk-employee-party-2.jpg

Not sure if someone already answered directly, but not to worry - there WILL be a metal roof option. No clue what will be standard, but options are metal roof, glass roof (non-opening), and glass roof with panoramic opening.
As far as I understood it the metal roof will only switch out the centre piece where the panoramic roof would be, not the one in the rear.

Reactions: arnis
Is your sunroof factory tinted at all? Aren't Tesla's tinted significantly?

Yeah it is, factory tint, (2008 mitsu Lancer). I have the same issue in my Ford Escape which is also factory tinted, so I pull the shade a lot in the summer, especially around commute time / kid pick up from daycare. that's why I'm very interested in a shade for the model 3 - For the record I don't think a sunshade is asking too much, it's a standard feature on just about every car with a sunroof.

California tends to have more sun than the rest of the world. Also I live at elevation 6500 ft where the sun is much stronger. So, yes, California is not like the whole world.

I didn't say UV. UV filter is pretty much on every glass roof. Even building windows have considerable UV protection.

There is a reason why whole car industry, with almost no exceptions, offers covering for roof options, and even for all windows except front 3.

So what you're saying is you want this? Tesla's already done that.

Silver-Tesla-Model-3-trunk-employee-party-2.jpg
Tinting is not helping and actually makes the view outside less useful, especially in low light scenarios.
Tinting does help with glare, but not with noise, heat, cold. Maybe slightly with heat, but not a lot.
Tint on a glass means the tinting layer just absorbs energy and converts it into heat. To minimize that manufacturers
use "anti solar coating" which makes glass purple/violet. BMW and many others offer it to windscreen.
Still, it doesn't solve even half of the problems and actually doesn't costs significantly less. And tinting above
certain point is counterproductive. We can tint stuff until it gets non-trasparent.

Hope mspohr understands that California is not the whole world.

Problems have been verified and offering mesh is proof that manufacturer tries to alleviate the pain.
Sorry, I forgot sunshine, thanks Big-T for reminding. Mesh actually only helps with shining sun.

EDIT: cover also makes the cabin quieter.

HEAT, COLD, GLARE, NOISE - Just make the F** cover.

Problems have not been verified. The tinting or coating on the S glass roof is amazing at keeping the heat out. I've seen some mention of a slight chill being felt form the pano roof from a certain guy in Norway driving in snow and minus 20 but it's nothing that is intolerable.

Mesh, quietness, heat, cold, whinge, glare. Just cancel you reservation and move on to the car you can find that meets your requirements exactly if you can find it.

Posting on a forum like this has little chance of making a Company do something.

• Funny
I didn't say UV. UV filter is pretty much on every glass roof. Even building windows have considerable UV protection.

There is a reason why whole car industry, with almost no exceptions, offers covering for roof options, and even for all windows except front 3.
I didn't say UV.
You're speculating about a prototype car.
I'm telling you about my experience with an actual production Tesla.
Relax, grasshopper

As far as I understood it the metal roof will only switch out the centre piece where the panoramic roof would be, not the one in the rear.

For sure. If you swapped the back glass out you wouldn't have a rear window. It's large for a rear window, but it's a structural necessity (and beautiful in my opinion) given the other critical design and engineering choices made. Being able to see out the back is kind of important though.

Problems have not been verified. The tinting or coating on the S glass roof is amazing at keeping the heat out. I've seen some mention of a slight chill being felt form the pano roof from a certain guy in Norway driving in snow and minus 20 but it's nothing that is intolerable.

Mesh, quietness, heat, cold, whinge, glare. Just cancel you reservation and move on to the car you can find that meets your requirements exactly if you can find it.

Posting on a forum like this has little chance of making a Company do something.

Funny there's so much commotion around this, given, again, that they've already said they'll have a solid metal roof option. It sounds like a lot of these people don't want any glass, in which case they may want to consider an APC or an Abrams. Perhaps an armored truck would work too. I think it would get better gas mileage.

Funny there's so much commotion around this, given, again, that they've already said they'll have a solid metal roof option. It sounds like a lot of these people don't want any glass, in which case they may want to consider an APC or an Abrams. Perhaps an armored truck would work too. I think it would get better gas mileage.
What's your source for that? I only remember one test drive video where it's referred to as fixed glass, middle roof or panoramic roof.

What's your source for that? I only remember one test drive video where it's referred to as fixed glass, middle roof or panoramic roof.

See comment #190 just above. Though perhaps they'll have, essentially, a sheet of metal for that rear section that includes a glass cutout for the rear window. I get that everyone has different preferences but when Tesla has an entire team and a bunch of money dedicated to their Glass program, I'd guess they know what they're doing in terms of noise, temperature, safety, etc.

If people want something more conventional, there's the Bolt. Or folks can hold out for the Model Y, assuming it turns out to be a true hatchback.

1580111-14627792937935996_origin_grande.jpg

Last edited:
I only remember one test drive video where it's referred to as fixed glass, middle roof or panoramic roof.

I thing you heard this wrong...what was said was during the test rides was a "Metal" roof option would be offered, not "Middle roof". I personally don't understand why Tesla would even offer a metal roof section over the front seats as this area is so small anyway.

Tinting is not helping and actually makes the view outside less useful, especially in low light scenarios.
Tinting does help with glare, but not with noise, heat, cold. Maybe slightly with heat, but not a lot.
Tint on a glass means the tinting layer just absorbs energy and converts it into heat. To minimize that manufacturers
use "anti solar coating" which makes glass purple/violet. BMW and many others offer it to windscreen.
Still, it doesn't solve even half of the problems and actually doesn't costs significantly less. And tinting above
certain point is counterproductive. We can tint stuff until it gets non-trasparent.

So basically you want to complain about everything in regards to the roof and even things Tesla does to remedy your concerns do nothing but exacerbate the original problem? Got it.

Except no. "Disagree" vote.

Yeah it is, factory tint, (2008 mitsu Lancer). I have the same issue in my Ford Escape which is also factory tinted, so I pull the shade a lot in the summer, especially around commute time / kid pick up from daycare. that's why I'm very interested in a shade for the model 3 - For the record I don't think a sunshade is asking too much, it's a standard feature on just about every car with a sunroof.

I was just curious if your tinting was the same as Tesla's. I don't know. But if it's not...

I thing you heard this wrong...what was said was during the test rides was a "Metal" roof option would be offered, not "Middle roof". I personally don't understand why Tesla would even offer a metal roof section over the front seats as this area is so small anyway.
Oh, now that I listened to it again you are right.

But as pointed out in the video comment above the Tesla employee still seems to refer about the roof part above his head. It also wouldn't make sense to have a panoramic roof in the rear.

So basically you want to complain about everything in regards to the roof and even things Tesla does to remedy your concerns do nothing but exacerbate the original problem? Got it.

Except no. "Disagree" vote.

You quote my post just to say that you really really disagree. And gave absolutely no arguments.
Oh, checked your profile, you mostly disagree, so.. it appears to be normalo_O

At least I'm not alone thinking a manually inserted shade (which, by they way, actually costs like 5-15$ in Walmart)
is not "slightly" stupid on a vehicle that costs near 100 000 €, it actually very pitiful.
It is just slightly better than this:

2-pieces-car-side-window-sun-shade---suction-cup--cover-sunshade-12032761486.jpg

I would just inform you thing below costs 200€ as an option. And my car has that. It's 16 years old.
Sunshade1.png

And please don't reply if you give no information. Click on the small icons below my post, don't write what button did you push.

Reactions: Big-T