Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the pano roof comes with the all glass top or its offered as part of the metal roof option?

I'm not sure I understand your question. We obviously don't have definitive answers yet, but the guidance so far has been that all 3s will have the single piece of glass from the B pillar to the front of the trunk lid, but there will be three options for the windshield header to B pillar - a fixed metal roof, a fixed glass roof, and a panoramic sunroof.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I'm not sure I understand your question. We obviously don't have definitive answers yet, but the guidance so far has been that all 3s will have the single piece of glass from the B pillar to the front of the trunk lid, but there will be three options for the windshield header to B pillar - a fixed metal roof, a fixed glass roof, and a panoramic sunroof.

If I choose the pano sunroof option, what material is used to construct the rest of the roof that is not part of the pano roof? Is it glass or metal top? That's my question

If I choose the pano sunroof option, what material is used to construct the rest of the roof that is not part of the pano roof? Is it glass or metal top? That's my question
Most likely, there is no other part of the roof that is not part of the pano roof glass. Ahead of it, there's the windshield. Behind it, there's the rear window. And I would imagine that the pano roof glass extends to cover the full width as it does on the S and X.

@Saghost has answered your question very clear, in my opinion. I think you need to go back and look at the top down photo of the Model 3 in the recent MotorTrend article online. It shows how the windshield, roof, and rear glass are related to each other.

Does the panoramic sunroof also open on the S?
Tesla added an all-glass roof to the Model S

So the fixed glass roof is similar to other mainstream cars where there is a shade to cover it?

Retractable shade is the biggest question right now. We all heard lots of
dissatisfaction due to heat or cold with non-metal roofs. Removing the mechanism
for opening the roof is not enough to satisfy. Shade is a must (thick shade, not mesh)!

If 3rd, rearmost roof glass, doesn't have a shade, metal roof option will not help rear passengers
keep their head and shoulders warm. Heating requirements, especially with limited vents for
rear will be a nightmare, especially with a baby/child sitting in the back seat.

Two retractable shades that slide will be enough to satisfy all 5 passengers. Rear door manual
shades would be a bonus I would consider for 150€.
0313_teslaroof.jpg

0313_teslaroof_Copy.jpg

I doubt there will be a built in retractable shade. I am guessing it will be something similar to the S which is a pop in mesh shade that is optional.

This means M3 will literally have worse passenger comfort. Which I hope, is not the case.
Those meshes are actually a fix to a problem that has been recognized by the manufacturer.

Actually, I don't know a single vehicle that has glass roof that can not be covered.
Check out how compact can a shade be.

This means M3 will literally have worse passenger comfort. Which I hope, is not the case.

I'm not sure how you can that. I've seen quite a few posts from people in hot, sunny locations that have said that, with the tinting on it, the pano roof on the Model S is not an issue with either heating the interior or with the sun hitting peoples heads. I think I've only seen one or two people that complained.

Actually, I don't know a single vehicle that has glass roof that can not be covered.

You actually know two vehicles: the S and the X. (I dont really consider the pop in sunshades to be the same as a built in shade). How many vehicles have you ever been in that don't have grab handles, coathooks, door pockets, or seat back pockets? They did eventually add a lighted vanity mirror and adjustable seat belt heights to the X, but they haven't updated those in the S for some unknown reason.

Tesla seems to like to buck the trend on this type stuff. So while they might incorporate a built in sunshade, I would not be surprised at all if they don't.

I will say I have no glare issues from my pano, which I was very concerned about. I am not going to buy the pop in shades, as I don't feel I need them anymore. The production models will most likely have a much darker tint than the prototypes, which should help significantly.

Reactions: houdini
Retractable shade is the biggest question right now. We all heard lots of
dissatisfaction due to heat or cold with non-metal roofs. Removing the mechanism
for opening the roof is not enough to satisfy. Shade is a must (thick shade, not mesh)!

From your lips to Elon's ear! This has been one of my biggest concerns Not because of the heat but because of the glare! Common Elon help my kids out!
zfBbHGQ.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: arnis
Those meshes are actually a fix to a problem that has been recognized by the manufacturer.

Check out how compact can a shade be.
My S with sunroof and rear glass has no sunshade and I have never noticed any problem with overheating in summer or cold in winter.

My pano roof on my 2014 S has no sunshade and I haven't had a problem with heat or cold in it. However, there is an insulated member that crosses overhead and covers much of the frontal sun that would hit one's forehead or the top of the head. In my X, which has the panoramic windshield, I have found much more heat and cold transfer into the cabin.

I measured the windshield surface temperature at over 120°F with my IR thermometer during the summer. The heat radiation is much more noticeable, I believe because it is radiating at the front/top of your head instead of back on your hair with the S. The cold leaks in similarly, and I believe Bjørn Nyland has expounded on this in one of his videos.

One other difference is that with sun above and in front of you on the S, the cross member blocks the sun radiation as does the visor. With the X, you can block the sun from your eyes with the visor, but it still shines on the top/front of your head.

Note that my experiences also are mostly limited to the sunny but temperate California coast.

Note that my experiences also are mostly limited to the sunny but temperate California coast.
My S with sunroof and rear glass has no sunshade and I have never noticed any problem with overheating in summer or cold in winter.

Hope mspohr understands that California is not the whole world.

Problems have been verified and offering mesh is proof that manufacturer tries to alleviate the pain.
Sorry, I forgot sunshine, thanks Big-T for reminding. Mesh actually only helps with shining sun.

EDIT: cover also makes the cabin quieter.

HEAT, COLD, GLARE, NOISE - Just make the F** cover.

Last edited:
Well, I talked to my wife and despite waiting a decade for an affordable Tesla, the glass roof is definitely a no-go. There wasn't anything in Musk's presentation or any press release to make me think it's an option. Someone mentioned that it was, but nothing I've been able to find says so. Oh, well. Maybe by 2018 there will be a 5-door with a real roof.

Not sure if someone already answered directly, but not to worry - there WILL be a metal roof option. No clue what will be standard, but options are metal roof, glass roof (non-opening), and glass roof with panoramic opening.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Hope mspohr understands that California is not the whole world.

Problems have been verified and offering mesh is proof that manufacturer tries to alleviate the pain.
Sorry, I forgot sunshine, thanks Big-T for reminding. Mesh actually only helps with shining sun.

EDIT: cover also makes the cabin quieter.

HEAT, COLD, GLARE, NOISE - Just make the F** cover.
California tends to have more sun than the rest of the world. Also I live at elevation 6500 ft where the sun is much stronger. So, yes, California is not like the whole world.