Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glovis Captain - Delivery text

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not paid mine yet but collection is not until 30th, which in the current climate seems an awful long time away. Don't see the sense in being over £50K committed until I need to be and I know it's likely I will receive the car on the due date. Nightmare situation really, Tesla couldn't make cars quick enough even at full RRP which is unknown of in the mass market car industry, is there now going to be a global slump of car orders due to income uncertainty, big discounts ahead just to generate sales or will prices hold firm as cars could be very scarce if the factories are forced to close for a long period of time. Anyone worried about Tesla in the longer term and warranties?

I've not paid mine yet but collection is not until 30th, which in the current climate seems an awful long time away. Don't see the sense in being over £50K committed until I need to be and I know it's likely I will receive the car on the due date. Nightmare situation really, Tesla couldn't make cars quick enough even at full RRP which is unknown of in the mass market car industry, is there now going to be a global slump of car orders due to income uncertainty, big discounts ahead just to generate sales or will prices hold firm as cars could be very scarce if the factories are forced to close for a long period of time. Anyone worried about Tesla in the longer term and warranties?
My collection is 25th I’m holding back too. I want to be entirely certain that my car will be there and I can get there.
Looking at China, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I think we will all live a little different in the future. I doubt there will be too much worry about warranties, they should hold good.

My collection is 25th I’m holding back too. I want to be entirely certain that my car will be there and I can get there.
Looking at China, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I think we will all live a little different in the future. I doubt there will be too much worry about warranties, they should hold good.
Interesting phone conversation. I’m told that my car, purportedly aboard the GC, will be on dry land on the 20th and available for collection on 25th.

No one can say for sure. Anyone who could with any degree of certainty would make a killing on the stock market.

Look at it this way - you were (presumably) planning to keep the car for a minimum of 1 year, more likely 2 or more? So does it matter what happens to prices in the short term? Volume will go down with the factory ticking over, which should prop up existing car prices, but equally people will have less money to spend, which could mean used car prices go down. No one knows to a certainty what will happen and people looking to get cheap cars have a vested interest in talking down the market as much as existing owners do in trying to keep values high.

As with everything if it's a distressed sale and you need to get out quickly then you're going to get your pants pulled down. That would happen regardless of what's going on. The likes of WBAC and co are all about distressed selling - so they are lowering their offer prices accordingly. If you don't need to sell, then you haven't lost anything.

In so far as the impact of the virus goes I would say that it is not prudent to spend £50k on the car if you need - or think you'll need - that £50k for other more essential things. You could say that at any time though, particularly regarding an unexpected job loss.

Full disclosure - I've just dropped £61k on my car and am awaiting collection. I did consider backing out, but I've waited long enough for this car and it will be a ray of sunshine in what is likely to be a few months of relentless dour news. There is also a part of me thinking that if I do get this virus, and it's a bad version of it (I'm 42 - not in the high risk category but not low risk either) then I'd rather enjoy my time while I can.

No one can say for sure. Anyone who could with any degree of certainty would make a killing on the stock market.

Look at it this way - you were (presumably) planning to keep the car for a minimum of 1 year, more likely 2 or more? So does it matter what happens to prices in the short term? Volume will go down with the factory ticking over, which should prop up existing car prices, but equally people will have less money to spend, which could mean used car prices go down. No one knows to a certainty what will happen and people looking to get cheap cars have a vested interest in talking down the market as much as existing owners do in trying to keep values high.

As with everything if it's a distressed sale and you need to get out quickly then you're going to get your pants pulled down. That would happen regardless of what's going on. The likes of WBAC and co are all about distressed selling - so they are lowering their offer prices accordingly. If you don't need to sell, then you haven't lost anything.

In so far as the impact of the virus goes I would say that it is not prudent to spend £50k on the car if you need - or think you'll need - that £50k for other more essential things. You could say that at any time though, particularly regarding an unexpected job loss.

Full disclosure - I've just dropped £61k on my car and am awaiting collection. I did consider backing out, but I've waited long enough for this car and it will be a ray of sunshine in what is likely to be a few months of relentless dour news. There is also a part of me thinking that if I do get this virus, and it's a bad version of it (I'm 42 - not in the high risk category but not low risk either) then I'd rather enjoy my time while I can.
I’m almost where you are. I haven’t paid the money yet but it’s imminent. At 67, I’ve been going through the same see-saw of thoughts and at my age, I can’t afford to wait. God knows we need some fun right now. I can happily isolate in the car for twelve weeks

Anyone worried about Tesla in the longer term and warranties?

Tesla's downfall has been assumed from the outset. They have now sold over 1 million cars, exceeding Nissan Leaf some time ago and even China's BYD (who I have never heard of but was the EV leader until December, albeit that their EV sales figure also included Hybrids)

Tesla also did a right-issue when the stock was at peak, and exercised the clause in their loan agreements to convert loans to stock. They must be awash with cash at present ...

... and Elon is busy and has been successful in giving the local Sheriff a hard time to allow his employees to carry on working and keep the factory going (contrary to other businesses locally); dunno how long that will last, but even carrying on running for a week or two, when your competitors have shut down, bolsters the business.

I'd be much more worried about survival if I had a GM or Ford etc. ... and Petrol Pump handles are one of the worst public sources of bacteria etc. Glad I'm not doing that either ...

If Elon gets the contract for Ventilators for Hospitals that will keep the machines running, and maybe he ill arm twist to be allowed to make cars too ... or just make money from ventilator production.

... and I don't have to feel guilty topping-off-my-tank every day :)