Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY Knob Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do people find the console bin access once they've installed their knobs? That was kind of my biggest concern.

Pondering it, that seemed the biggest drawback. (Usecase: Wiper control, heating control, defrost/demist)
It restricts access slightly but I can sill get at everything just fine.
20240318_162115.jpg

Still no forecast on pre-refresh interiors. I suspect it might never happen which is a shame.

Not sure how they'd integrate it into the dash though. Maybe by taking up a phone charging slot?

Well, a few observations now that I've been using my knob for a couple of weeks:

Installation
Installation was very easy. No real issues. It went smoothly and just worked.

Features
First the positives:
  • The knob is nicely built and fits very well into the car's interior.
  • It works mostly pretty well. There are a few little bugs (e.g. rear vent control doesn't work reliably).
  • The UI is nice overall with crisp and easy-to-read icons.
  • The commander adds some useful features independent of the knob (e.g. unlock charge port from door handle, dashboard on mobile phone).
But there are a few negatives.
  • Lack of sync between the knob and the tesla UI is a real gap and makes temperature and fan control way less useful than they should be. They say they'll fix this, but until they do the experience is much diminished.
  • Lack of lighting around the buttons makes use at night time somewhat awkward.
  • Limitations of what can be done on the knob vs the buttons is surprising and unexpected. In general, the list of actions on the knob is quite narrow.
Overall, whilst the knob works, it's really not proving to be as useful as I hoped. For the moment, I'm not really using it much, which is not what I expected.

Well, a few observations now that I've been using my knob for a couple of weeks:

Installation
Installation was very easy. No real issues. It went smoothly and just worked.

Features
First the positives:
  • The knob is nicely built and fits very well into the car's interior.
  • It works mostly pretty well. There are a few little bugs (e.g. rear vent control doesn't work reliably).
  • The UI is nice overall with crisp and easy-to-read icons.
  • The commander adds some useful features independent of the knob (e.g. unlock charge port from door handle, dashboard on mobile phone).
But there are a few negatives.
  • Lack of sync between the knob and the tesla UI is a real gap and makes temperature and fan control way less useful than they should be. They say they'll fix this, but until they do the experience is much diminished.
  • Lack of lighting around the buttons makes use at night time somewhat awkward.
  • Limitations of what can be done on the knob vs the buttons is surprising and unexpected. In general, the list of actions on the knob is quite narrow.
Overall, whilst the knob works, it's really not proving to be as useful as I hoped. For the moment, I'm not really using it much, which is not what I expected.
Give it 24 hours and a lot of your issues will be fixed with the next software release.

Reactions: KennethS
Give it 24 hours and a lot of your issues will be fixed with the next software release.
Got the new release. They've fixed the temperature sync, but only via a circular route via the Tesla mothership and adding the Enhauto app as (another) linked app to my Tesla account. I assume what's happening is this:

: Knob => commander => Enhauto phone app => phone 4G connection => Tesla server => car 4G/LTE connection => car MCU => temp control

That's a lot of hoops to jump through and I assume it will stop working if either the phone or the car go off-line (which happens pretty often). Strangely, while temp sync now works this way, fan speed control doesn't (so there's still no correlation between the actual fan speed and what's displayed on the car's screen). Wiper control though works fine in terms of knob/car display sync without the round-robin trip. Weird.

I appreciate they are trying to work around constraints imposted by Tesla's code and architecture, but I guess that's what the world's like when you're making 3rd party add-ons to an officially closed platform.

There are also no new additional actions I can see on the knob configuration.

So, the update is certainly a step in the right direction, but still no cigar yet !

Last edited:
Do you have any of the buttons or the knob only? Can you access the function by setting a tile in the app? I genuinely don't know as I've never seen a need to try this particular function.
It seems you can access these new features from the buttons or from tiles in the app, but not via the knob. This is a common story - there is a much shorter list of actions available for the knob. I don’t understand why this asymmetry exists - it points to some odd design decisions. They seem a good software dev company so I find this anomaly a bit out of character. They are promising more in future updates for the knob, but it seems they’ve made life hard for themselves, as well as frustrating for their customers with the way it works right now.

It seems you can access these new features from the buttons or from tiles in the app, but not via the knob. This is a common story - there is a much shorter list of actions available for the knob. I don’t understand why this asymmetry exists - it points to some odd design decisions. They seem a good software dev company so I find this anomaly a bit out of character. They are promising more in future updates for the knob, but it seems they’ve made life hard for themselves, as well as frustrating for their customers.
Yes, but I generally give them some slack since overall I find the product good. Totally agree with the frustration that available actions seem to take a long time to become available via the knob. But as a longtime user of the commander I am happy that they are continually adding features. It does so many more things than it did when I first bought them for our Tesla.

Why they chose "Knob" as the name.... I prefer to refer to it as the Dial. 😀