Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY Knob Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but I generally give them some slack since overall I find the product good. Totally agree with the frustration that available actions seem to take a long time to become available via the knob. But as a longtime user of the commander I am happy that they are continually adding features. It does so many more things than it did when I first bought them for our Tesla.
Yeah, I agree. I'm cutting them some slack! They are doing some cool stuff for sure. I can see that reverse-engineering how the Tesla bus works and dealing with weird behaviour will take a lot of time.
Why they chose "Knob" as the name.... I prefer to refer to it as the Dial. 😀
S3XY dial wouldn't half the snigger factor!

It seems you can access these new features from the buttons or from tiles in the app, but not via the knob. This is a common story - there is a much shorter list of actions available for the knob. I don’t understand why this asymmetry exists - it points to some odd design decisions. They seem a good software dev company so I find this anomaly a bit out of character. They are promising more in future updates for the knob, but it seems they’ve made life hard for themselves, as well as frustrating for their customers with the way it works right now.
They plan to add button functions to the knob over time. Sounds like its a case of testing each function they migrate.

1000000305.png

Got the new release. They've fixed the temperature sync, but only via a circular route via the Tesla mothership and adding the Enhauto app as (another) linked app to my Tesla account. I assume what's happening is this:

: Knob => commander => Enhauto phone app => phone 4G connection => Tesla server => car 4G/LTE connection => car MCU => temp control

That's a lot of hoops to jump through and I assume it will stop working if either the phone or the car go off-line (which happens pretty often). Strangely, while temp sync now works this way, fan speed control doesn't (so there's still no correlation between the actual fan speed and what's displayed on the car's screen). Wiper control though works fine in terms of knob/car display sync without the round-robin trip. Weird.

I appreciate they are trying to work around constraints imposted by Tesla's code and architecture, but I guess that's what the world's like when you're making 3rd party add-ons to an officially closed platform.

There are also no new additional actions I can see on the knob configuration.

So, the update is certainly a step in the right direction, but still no cigar yet !
It does seem a bit of a circuitous way of doing it - although I don't imagine it will cause any major issues. As long as it works, I'm sure they'll work on a more direct way of doing it; after all, the chinese rear screens which fit in the back can control temperature, fan speed & seat heating without using Tesla API.

I was expecting some more functions to be available for the Knob (as you say, there is more that can be done on Buttons currently) and a bit more customization such as user-created sub-menus. But hopefully these will come. They are very receptive to input and feedback on their Discord group.

Right now I can't think of any use for the macro function.