Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm encouraging my niece to get one of these and if I wasn't able to get a Tesla, it would be my next car. If only it had more autonomous driving features.....

No. Strong suggestion of ACC option in the high end 2017, but "Supercruise" will be a Cadillac option.

FPPHEV: full performance plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. :p Volt will bean EREV when it doesn't need ERDTT on the average winter morning.

I was disappointed that the 2016 did not lower the threshold for ERDTT. Maybe the 2017 will be better? Come on GM.

In the meantime a ten cent resistor provides relief for us cold weather Volt owners that hate ERDTT. Some people actually like it, if they have to use the engine anyway. I use less than 6-7 gallons per year, and that would not be possible without defeating ERDTT.

GSP

not sure why this particular post was moved...Deals more with the Volt than anything else.

"What other options are there? What if I don't like the styling of the Leaf or want to suffer extreme range anxiety in the winter here in MN? The Volt offers peace of mind that would be impossible with current BEV's on the market. I am able to drive pure EV over 90% of the time. Sounds like a good choice to me. At the time I bought the Volt, I was not willing to drop $100k to drive pure EV on the gravel roads of Dakota County for an average of 25 miles a day. Remember, up until a couple of months ago, there was only a single Super Charger in the state. This is why the Volt makes sense for many and should be applauded and not get parsed over subjective semantics.

Now if we can please get this thread back on track...The Volt had a great month. Inventory for Gen 1 is down to about a month's worth and will soon be gone. The rest of the country will not get a chance to get a Gen 2 until the 2017's start to ship in the spring. From initial reports, GM under promised and over delivered with the exception in my opinion of 3.6kwh charging, no change in ERDTT threshold and for some bizarre reason leaving off Homelink. I expect these could be fixed in future years pretty easy. Not as easy a Tesla which can be improved incrementally over the air. That is a trend that I hope other OEM's will adapt, but they will be fighting their dealers and service centers over that. Will be interesting to see what comes to market first for a 200 mile range mainstream BEV....Model 3, Bolt, next Gen Leaf, or whatever Kia may have up their sleeve."

My mini historical backgrounder on GM's new hybrid car transmission design just hit the front page of HybridCars.com.

Revenge of the Two-Mode Hybrid - HybridCars.com

Behold the gobsmacking details within. Did you know:

* GM filed a patent in 1995 describing the Prius design while Toyota was still studying what to do?

* GM designed the transmission for most hybrid city transit buses sold since 2003?

* the 2016 Malibu hybrid that gets 47 mpg is based on a nearly 15 year old Two-Mode design never used until now?

* the primary operating mode of GM's new system is similar to the design of the Toyota and Ford systems?

* Toyota just got a patent published for a Volt-like Hybrid Synergy Drive for PHEVs that uses clutches and has two eCVT modes?

That's funny, considering you can't buy it in 2016. I was seriously considering getting one, but since now it would be 2017 at the earliest, I'm going straight to Tesla next. I've had about enough of ERDTT as well in my current Volt, and don't really care to see it again in my next car.
You can buy them in like a dozen states currently. And even if not I'm buying one in MD and I live in IL.

Last edited:

The Green Car of the Year awards are complete jokes. They are put on by Dealership Associations, which is why Tesla has been excluded from every one of them. It just allows some major manufacturer to label their car for marketing purposes. It has almost nothing to do with it really being green or not. No pure EV has ever won the award. I guarantee you that Toyota's Mirai will win it when it can. Utter BS.

That said. Good for the Chevy Volt. It looks like it will be a great car.

Does that make Tesla Model S not a real car? Because...well....
I get your point but situation is kind of different in traditional ICE manufacturer world. While you can buy a car across state lines, servicing can become a issue when you are in a state where the car is not officially offered (as opposed to buying a car out of state only for price/options reasons and not because it is not offered). I know RAV4 EV owners had a big issue with that when buying across state lines.

Also currently GM is offering them in the CARB mandate states, just like how compliance cars are limited. GM does that because the Volt does give them CARB credits.

Also currently GM is offering them in the CARB mandate states, just like how compliance cars are limited. GM does that because the Volt does give them CARB credits.

That is likely for 2 reasons. 1st is CARB credits. 2nd is that GM can sell out their full production capability of the Gen 2 Volt without going beyond those states, just like Tesla can without having galleries in South America or Africa or a number of states in the USA.

It amazes me that on this forum especially, anyone would sneer at a Volt.
It's really the perfect car - mostly electric - fleet average about 80 out of every 100 miles on electricity alone. No range anxiety due to the onboard generator. And it's 1/3 the price of a Tesla. One might argue it's half the car. But folks here should be good enough at math to know that 1/2 the car and 1/3 the price is still an epic car.

Not a real car because the new version isn't sold outside CARB states? C'mon...really?
All 50 states and the provinces of Canada are anxiously awaiting the release of the car to their state.
Sucks that production didn't meet demand.
Say what you want about GM in general, but the Voltec system is an unbelievable piece of American engineering.

It amazes me that on this forum especially, anyone would sneer at a Volt.
It's really the perfect car - mostly electric - fleet average about 80 out of every 100 miles on electricity alone. No range anxiety due to the onboard generator. And it's 1/3 the price of a Tesla. One might argue it's half the car. But folks here should be good enough at math to know that 1/2 the car and 1/3 the price is still an epic car.

Not a real car because the new version isn't sold outside CARB states? C'mon...really?
All 50 states and the provinces of Canada are anxiously awaiting the release of the car to their state.
Sucks that production didn't meet demand.
Say what you want about GM in general, but the Voltec system is an unbelievable piece of American engineering.

Well, unbelievable is a stretch. Gen 2's trans has gone more Prius-like to make it more flexible for use in HEVs and PHEVs. Add 3 clutches to the Prius trans and I'm sure it would have been able to handle higher EV speeds. (I'm not saying clutch = problem, which is olde-worlde thinking).

This is a site for people interested in a company that makes long-distance BEVs.

The Volt is definitely not the perfect car. ERDTT is just one example of a limitation. But the fundamental problems are that:
- It can never reach cost parity with ICEVs
- Unless PHEVs can cover about 95% of all household miles on electricity, they can't be sustainable. The Volt Gen 2 will not be 95% electric on average.