Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: The dealer updated some software and put in new wiper blades and free new hatch struts. I told them to change the transmission fluid since that is recommended at 100,000 miles but they checked it and said it was "clean" and recommended waiting. I'll get it done for sure when all my engine, inverter, and battery coolant lines get flushed for the first time at 150,000 miles.

The cell balancing self-test error was reset and didn't repeat even though I let the mechanic take it home for 60 mile round trip and charge it again.

Total cost $200, so I'm now up to $300 in service and mainentance during the last 112,000 miles.
Followup: The day after I got the car back it threw the same cell-balancing error again. The dealer then tried to talk me into a $4,000 out-of-warranty refurbished battery swap (parts and labor). I had already bought the full 3 volume service manual and I had the error code (via the OnStar service). I also found one other Volt owner with essentially the same problem on a different one of the 4 similar cell-balancing boards inside the pack. From the manual and other research I knew the recommended fix was to replace a specific Battery Interface Control Module circuit board. My old 2011 Volt was subject of a "service campaign" (technically not a recall) to improve the side-impact protection of the battery. Doing that "recall" involves removing the pack and reinstalling it (coolant change etc) and the labor largely overlaps what is needed for replacing my failed circuit board. I found another dealer and they agreed to replace the board and not double-bill the overlapped labor. So, GM ended up paying some of my cost. Total price for me was $300 for parts and $450 labor. Seemed reasonable.

The dealer then tried to talk me into a $4,000 out-of-warranty refurbished battery swap (parts and labor). I had already bought the full 3 volume service manual and I had the error code (via the OnStar service).
I found another dealer and they agreed to replace the board and not double-bill the overlapped labor. So, GM ended up paying some of my cost. Total price for me was $300 for parts and $450 labor. Seemed reasonable.

And this is exactly why independent franchised dealers should have their protections revoked. The idea that a dishonest dealer could 'own' the territory and no better competitor could move in is awful. That you have to travel to another territory to get adequate service is exactly what I experienced with my Olds Toronado and why I'm going Tesla next time.

There is little question that the Volt is a gateway drug to a pure EV Tesla. :tongue:

Absolutely -- The Volt was the longest-range plug-in which would need my needs and budget. I'd rather be fully-electric, but can't make a CPO Model S make financial sense right now, so I'm very much looking forward to the Model 3. A Supercharger or 3 in my state wouldn't hurt either... (poke, prod, coughPortland/Bangor/Augusta/PresqueIslecough).

What of this reverse scenario? We currently have a Model S but my wife wants to replace her ice vehicle. I think I have convinced her to get the new Volt when it becomes available where we live. She likes the Model S but is nervous about driving it regularly around town. But she also is worried about range anxiety so I figure she would use the Volt 90 percent of the time in electric mode. We would use the Model S for longer trips.

What of this reverse scenario? We currently have a Model S but my wife wants to replace her ice vehicle. I think I have convinced her to get the new Volt when it becomes available where we live. She likes the Model S but is nervous about driving it regularly around town. But she also is worried about range anxiety so I figure she would use the Volt 90 percent of the time in electric mode. We would use the Model S for longer trips.
Excellent choice. You get the best of both worlds with her driving mostly on the battery plus she is *never* concerned about range. You never would get the call that she is on the side of the road or that she doesn't want to take the car on some particular long day/drive because she is worried about range. Happy wife, happy life.

In addition to our new Model S we have 2 Volts (2012 and 2014) and will drive them (or give them to sons when they graduate college) until they arent useful any longer. They are perfectly fine EV vehicles for 75% of our driving and the Model S handles anything longer.

Small bit of good news in CA for the 2016 Gen II Volt:

http://www.hybridcars.com/californians-granted-15000-more-green-hov-stickers/

Looks like prospective PHEV customers may very well have access to more green HOV stickers in California, pending signing of the bill by Governor Brown. The current limit of 70,000 has nearly been reached, but the legislature passed AB-95 which allows for 15,000 more stickers. This is good news for GM since both the 2016 Gen II Volt and 2016 ELR will be released later this year, and the green stickers are an added incentive for many prospective CA buyers (although not everyone, since HOV lanes are getting rather clogged in some places).

There is an article in the Detroit News today that the 2016 Volt will not be available for purchase outside of the 11 states that comply with "California Emissions". Kind of a shock to me as I was trying to order one next month. The only orders that are being taken are for those 11 States and customers in other States need to wait for the 2017 model which will be available for order in the Spring of 2016. GM said that because 40% of the Volts are sold in California they need to supply that sector first (I don't know how that applies to the Northeast States that don't buy many Volts). The real reason IMO is the unsold inventory of 2014 and 2015 Volts that need to be dumped on the market. Anyone who buys one of those, unless deeply, deeply discounted would be making a mistake. If they do a $99 a month 2 year lease I might bite but most likely not. One other reason might be California emission credits so they can push more Escalades onto unsuspecting clients. GM really knows how to make potential customers happy. Thank God the Tesla isn't a "compliance" car!

Can't believe there has not been a Volt post since Patriot Day in the United States despite the launch happening. From what I am reading it is a laudable improvement from the Gen 1. Since I put the deposit down on the X, I have moved and changed jobs and my daily commute is less than 10-15 miles. I went 3000 miles without using gas in the last 4 months. Once the 2017 goes nationwide I may reconsider. I drive on lots of gravel roads and the X is going to be overkill.

Can't believe there has not been a Volt post since Patriot Day in the United States despite the launch happening. From what I am reading it is a laudable improvement from the Gen 1. Since I put the deposit down on the X, I have moved and changed jobs and my daily commute is less than 10-15 miles. I went 3000 miles without using gas in the last 4 months. Once the 2017 goes nationwide I may reconsider. I drive on lots of gravel roads and the X is going to be overkill.

We bought a 2016 Volt Premiere (with DC 1, 2, and Nav) last Saturday. It is quite a nice car with lots of improvements over the first gen cars. Almost every shopper in both dealerships we visited seemed to be looking at/buying one. I think GM has a hit on their hands. Or maybe after a year or two of talking about it, there is simply a lot of pent up demand?

Maybe we should start a Gen 2 Volt thread?

We bought a 2016 Volt Premiere (with DC 1, 2, and Nav) last Saturday. It is quite a nice car with lots of improvements over the first gen cars. Almost every shopper in both dealerships we visited seemed to be looking at/buying one. I think GM has a hit on their hands. Or maybe after a year or two of talking about it, there is simply a lot of pent up demand?

Maybe we should start a Gen 2 Volt thread?

Probably don't need a new thread for Gen 2 IMO. Great sales numbers for this month (2035) despite Gen 2 being available for only 20 days or so. Best selling EV in the US for October...
October Chevrolet Volt Sales Powered Higher By Arrival Of New 2016s

Chevy Volt Owners Drive More Electric Miles Than Nissan Leaf Drivers: Why?

Is it a case of picking the right electric car for the right job? Or could a lack of "range anxiety" really lead drivers to cover more miles?

It's a kind of chicken-or-egg question, but it came to mind when our author Matthew Klippenstein sent us some data.

On average, owners of the Nissan Leaf battery-electric car cover 629 miles a month, while those who drive the Chevrolet Volt range-extended electric car go 60 percent further, logging 1,012 miles.

Of those Volt miles, 75 percent are in electric mode using a battery charged from the grid, not the gasoline range extender.

(That's higher than the 63 percent of Volt miles covered on grid energy that was reported more than a year ago.)

So even though the Volt's electric range is rated at 38 miles, while that of the Leaf is 76 miles, Volt owners drive more electric miles a year.

The data comes from the EV Project Vehicle Summary Report (April-June 2013) issued by the U.S. Department of Energy.

<snip>
Full article at:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...e-electric-miles-than-nissan-leaf-drivers-why

I tried to buy a 2016 Volt today as a gift for my parents. Sadly the car I wanted had not arrived at the dealership yet, and they have no idea how long until it will arrive. I'm only in town until Friday so basically if it doesn't come into stock tomorrow no surprise gift for them! Kind of a bummer, I was looking forward to playing with it.