Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completely agree on your winter observations. My Volt's HVAC system is unable to keep the car cool in the summer, unable to keep it warm in the winter, and is unable to prevent the windshield from fogging year round. The cold weather all-electric range is also unaceptable on the volt. If it is below freezing, I take a 30%-40% range hit.

Ah yes, the fogging is terrible, and that makes things worse, because defog/defrost requires venting. It's when venting and driving at highway speed that the inadequacy of the heating is most noticeable. I'm hoping that the active grille will help control airflow and alleviate that problem. (Not that we'll be buying another Volt.)

In an interview, Andrew Farah did say that they'd improved heating efficiency slightly and beefed up the heater. Also add to that the rumor that ERDTT will have an override and it should be a more pleasant cabin in winter, even if the powerful heater is still a range killer. The slightly more powerful charger (3.6kW up from 3.3kW) should also help with pre-conditioning.

Yeah, I don't doubt that a fair # of Volt drivers have had little or no problems w/their Volt But yeah, I've definitely heard of some problem units and lemons.

IIRC, the Volt started off w/pretty good reliability ratings in CR (very good for a 1st year GM car) but now is just average and w/more details "Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 13% below average."
That's right. I looked it up this morning. 2011 Volts have well above average reliability, 2012-13 below average, 2014 is average. They predict 2015s will be average (13% below average is categorized as average). Because this is a Tesla forum, I'll add for context they predict the Model S will have 6% below average reliability (also average).

With the exception of the heat not working properly (now fixed), my 2013 has been trouble free. Most reliable car I've owned, actually. Opinions differ, but I have no trouble with the heat or fogging in our cold and snowy weather.

For information the three recalls include:
* the liftgate struts coming detached
* the engine coming on because people forget to turn the car off
* an emissions recall for the charcoal canister (US only).

In contrast, my ostensibly reliable 2006 Honda Civic went in for a recall because "a wheel could separate from the vehicle."

Last edited:
That's right. I looked it up this morning. 2011 Volts have well above average reliability, 2012-13 below average, 2014 is average. With the exception of the heat not working properly (now fixed), my 2013 has been trouble free. Most reliable car I've owned, actually.

My 2014 VOLT (just transferred my lease after 1 year to make room for our Model S) was also trouble free. The 1 year Service including an oil change was free and the Liftgate Strut recall came with a free car wash :^)

... In contrast, my ostensibly reliable 2006 Honda Civic went in for a recall because "a wheel could separate from the vehicle."

The hybrid battery in my 2006 Civic Hybrid was failing in 2008, noticeably reducing my well documented MPG, but Honda refused to replace it.

So I sold the Civic back to the dealer and swore off Hondas (that car was my third and last Honda).

MSo I sold the Civic back to the dealer and swore off Hondas (that car was my third and last Honda).

I had horrible Honda experiences in the past too. The sales model was simply, "the line forms to your left" if you want one, and my service experiences (all too many) were terrible. The final straw was during an overnight service stay, my car was broken into and vandalized. They refused to take any responsibility for the damage. That was it for me and Honda.

Aside from a flaky electrical connector that prevented the front passenger seat heater from initially working (fixed under warranty), my 2011 Volt has been flawless for the nearly 4.5 years and 112,000 miles that I have driven it.

Last Friday it had its first hiccup as I was leaving to head home in the late afternoon. The battery threw a cell balancing self-test error when I started it up. Even though I had 40 miles of battery charge, it went into a "reduced propulsion power" mode where it keeps the engine running to generate power in order to minimize stress on the battery. I was able to drive it without any problem over to the dealer where I already had a list of things queued up for them to do already such replacing the wipers and doing a transmission fluid change. Since I have a 2011 Volt from before the car qualified for the CARB HOV sticker program in mid-2012 and the related state rebate, my battery warranty is only good for 100,000 miles instead of 150,000. The fix for the cell balancing failure may involve dropping out the battery pack to replace one of the battery controller circuit boards. It will be interesting to see how much they want me to pay. I shall find out soon.

Update: The dealer updated some software and put in new wiper blades and free new hatch struts. I told them to change the transmission fluid since that is recommended at 100,000 miles but they checked it and said it was "clean" and recommended waiting. I'll get it done for sure when all my engine, inverter, and battery coolant lines get flushed for the first time at 150,000 miles.

The cell balancing self-test error was reset and didn't repeat even though I let the mechanic take it home for 60 mile round trip and charge it again.

Total cost $200, so I'm now up to $300 in service and mainentance during the last 112,000 miles.

I haven't been following the Volt, so I'm not sure, but according to Inside EVs the base 2016 Volt has been heavily de-contented vs the 2015 model. So would most of the savings be coming from such de-contenting rather than less expensive batteries?

I haven't been following the Volt, so I'm not sure, but according to Inside EVs the base 2016 Volt has been heavily de-contented vs the 2015 model. So would most of the savings be coming from such de-contenting rather than less expensive batteries?
Stop Crazy talk if you don't know.

DriveTrain completely redone.

Next Generation 2016 Chevrolet Volt Debuts - Full Specs
GM states that the 2016 Volt will achieve an estimated EPA rating of 50 miles of range from a larger, but lighter 18.4 kWh battery that features a new chemistry (192 cells vs 288 cells). The new pack has 8% more capacity than the 17.1 kWh pack found in the current generation of car, but is more than 20 lbs lighter according to the company. A check of the stats from last year show a net 32 pound savings on the pack overall.

The new two motor arrangement is rated at 111 kW/149 hp, but has 298 lb-ft of torque. The internal combustion engine is now a 1.5l 4 cylinder unit rated at 75 kW (101hp) @ 5,600 RPM.
2016-Volt-1.5l-engine-350x272.jpgGoodbye Premium Fuel, Hello Greater Efficiency In The Volt’s New 1.5L Engine
As for driving efficiency, the 2016 Volt gets 41 mpg (combined city/highway) in extended range mode and an overall 102 MPGerating. Those figures are up 11% and 4% respectively. Also of note, premium fuel is no longer required. GM says the new drive unit is 12% more efficient and weighs 100lbs less.

• 0-60 mph performance has improved to 8.3 seconds (GM rated the existing Volt at 9.0 seconds),
  • 0-30 mph sees a big jump, moving from 3.1 seconds down to2.6 secondsso no slouch off the line at all
  • Top speed is now limited to 98 mph.
  • Total range (including electric propulsion) is said to be 420 miles

I actually like the Volt. For many, it's a practical car without the range limitations. I am aware of the taxpayer cost per vehicle. But unlike a Tesla, you can just jump in it and drive 500 miles in any direction today. And for most owners, you never use gas. No flames, please.

He was alluding to another source, InsideEV's. I don't see questioning the assertion of a purported news source as "crazy talk"

Vehicle content is more than the drivetrain. They could have improved the drivetrain, yest made a number of previously standard items now optional, or simply eliminated them. Note what that InsideEV's article had to say:

InsideEV's said:
especially as GM had already previously release the car’s “trim and spec sheet” online, which showed the LT model had been stripped down fairly decently.

Note that it refers to "trim" ... which would include non-drivetrain items.

You may want to be careful chiding others for lacking information that you fail to provide.

You may want to be careful chiding others for lacking information that you fail to provide.
He admitted he didn't follow. His post certainly implied that the Volt didn't change and they just decontented it to get the price lower vs the cheaper batteries. I *very* clearly pointed out the major part of the car CHANGED and that takes a significant investment vs just removing some options and adding a lower trim level. As well the battery and EV distance is bigger/farther on all trim levels. GIVE credit where credit is due. GM is the only PHEV with such large EV range and making it BIGGER. They made many changes by listening to 1st generation customers. 20 EV miles is the norm by all others.

Last edited:

Next Generation 2016 Chevrolet Volt Debuts - Full Specs
I'm aware the drivetrain was redone, but like scaesare says, I'm talking more about things like changing standard things to optional trim levels. I'm unfamiliar with the trim levels of the 2015 Volt, so I was wondering if anyone more familiar would know what things got de-contented specifically (the Inside EVs article tries to make a list of the differences, but it's messy and doesn't make clear what got removed).

I believe the expectation was that it would at most be $32k and down below the $30k barrier given the LT vs LTZ spec sheet that was released a while back.

He admitted he didn't follow. His post certainly implied that the Volt didn't change and they just decontented it to get the price lower vs the cheaper batteries. I *very* clearly pointed out the major part of the car CHANGED and that takes a significant investment vs just removing some options and adding a lower trim level. As well the battery and EV distance is bigger/farther on all trim levels. GIVE credit where credit is due. GM is the only PHEV with such large EV range and making it BIGGER. They made many changes by listening to 1st generation customers. 20 EV miles is the norm by all others.

I didn't get that he implied that at all, and he certainly didn't state that. His subsequent response clarified that he was not talking about what you assumed.

If you read the articles he referred to, that would have also made it clear.

Instead you accuse him of "crazy talk" when referring to articles that actually listed exactly what "de-contented" meant.

I think I know who's talking crazy...

I'm sorry I gave that impression, but I didn't mean to. But on your points: sure, the new Volt gained 1.3kWh on new chemistry (cell count actually went down and battery size went down). Even if you assume that the price on that was the old $500/kWh of the original Volt, that's still only $650. In reality, I expect the new pack to actually cost less than the old one given lower cell count and smaller pack size. Likewise, I expect the new Volt's drivetrain to actually cost GM less than the old one did (talk from executives imply they had optimized the new Volt to cost less to produce).

I suppose my question is, putting the drivetrain aside for the moment, if the de-contenting was insignificant or non-existent or if it was $1200 worth of standard equipment removed.

Last edited: