Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 2022.20.8 to 2022.24.5 – radar removal or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And yet here we are 12-18 months later and the car is driving pretty well without radar.
Erm... my experience is the exact opposite. Tesla vision is terrible. I'm constantly getting frontal collision activation with Tesla Vision on my Model Y. I still have an older Model 3 with radar that I haven't updated - it drives much better.

I'd love to have the old radar in my MY!

And yet here we are 12-18 months later and the car is driving pretty well without radar.

The point really is that the old radar was not giving much bang for the buck. It wasn't good enough to over-ride the cameras, so the vision system needed to be good enough that it didn't need radar .. so where was the value add? Fast-forward to today, and technology improves (and gets cheaper) and the equation changes, the newer radars CAN add value, as the cost is lower and accuracy way better. And so they are adding radar back.

One thing to remember is Tesla's decision to equip all cars with all the hardware for FSD, in order to make it an "instant OTA upgrade". This is good for Tesla (instant gratification and stuff like subscription models) but does mean that there sensor suite cost is critical since every car must have the hardware.

I had 3 aggressive phantom braking events just this past weekend during a drive I’ve done countless times before with radar without incident. So the “car is driving pretty well” comment doesn’t really jive with my experience. Still so pissed at Tesla for doing this.

The point really is that the old radar was not giving much bang for the buck. It wasn't good enough to over-ride the cameras, so the vision system needed to be good enough that it didn't need radar .. so where was the value add? Fast-forward to today, and technology improves (and gets cheaper) and the equation changes, the newer radars CAN add value, as the cost is lower and accuracy way better. And so they are adding radar back.

One thing to remember is Tesla's decision to equip all cars with all the hardware for FSD, in order to make it an "instant OTA upgrade". This is good for Tesla (instant gratification and stuff like subscription models) but does mean that there sensor suite cost is critical since every car must have the hardware.
I cant say if my car has radar enabled or not. Some say the way to tell is if you can select 1 for following distance, but i can select 1 and phantom braking is definitely worse after the reported radar disable "update" so i dont know is its lack of radar or software "update"

I have not read if radar disable is only on newer cars with radar and USS not installed or if a SW version disabled "equipped w radar" cars I have a October 2016 build and am currently on 2023.6.11

Last edited:
I cant say if my car has radar enabled or not. Some say the way to tell is if you can select 1 for following distance, but i can but phantom braking is worse that the supposed radar disable so i dont know is its lack of radar or software "update"

If you have HW3 and are fully updated then radar is disabled. Pretty sure all HW2.5 and earlier cars still have it enabled.

I’m curious, has anybody not made the leap over to the newest change? My 3 is still with the old system but my Y was accidentally updated sometime last year. I can’t stand the updated version on the Y.
B1E3CDE8-046B-46EA-A4D3-5E777362FFD7.jpeg

I relented after 6mo and multiple conversations with people who had tesla vision from the start as well as people with radar that got it disabled.

I heard enough about the improvements that I just took the plunge. At some point I was going to risk having my warranty voided by not upgrading SW. Anyway, I'm annoyed that I cant set cruise to follow at distance "1", but other than that, its been a pretty seamless transition. Oh yea. and every once in a while at night I realize it turned on auto-high beams (Its the only "auto" feature on the car I'm not really keen on).

The thing is, so many other things have been updated, so they make up for the deficiencies. The biggest one being the moving of the camera repeater location closer to my line of sight and even more importantly, moving the nav directions back up to the top of the screen where they used to be prior to an earlier update.