Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to order a new Model 3 performance. Should I consider the long range AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm exactly in the same boat as you. Keep going back and forth between the P and LR. But at the end of day, I think I'll always be disappointed if I don't get the P.
Get the performance and you won't have any regrets. I have the stealth performance(P3d-) and I still lust over the performance wheels and sexy red brakes. If you're trying to save some money, a used performance is a great idea because FSD would be discounted (compared to new 12k).
Hehe I don't think used car+saving money can be used in the same sentence these days.

Just sold my MY LR with 15k miles for $60k. Surely the dealer will be listing for $65k+.

Reactions: DanTeSX
I just agonized over this same decision. I’m not a track guy so I don’t care about track mode or brakes. But I love the acceleration and I wanted to own the best in class for once in my life. I love the look of the turbine wheels. But the accel boost would get me under 4 secs 0-60 and not sacrifice 40 miles of range. Price difference seemed about right for what you get in a P. I was about split right down the middle until my SA advised me I’d probably need to swap summer/winter tires in my cold climate. That was the deciding factor. I went with AWD and accel boost. But if I lived in a warm weather climate I would have gone performance.

Get the performance.

We went LR plus acceleration boost. But I need the extra range that the LR gives me. Plus, it’s a daily driver (40,000 miles a year average) and having the tires of the P only last 20,000 miles a set is a non-starter for me (That’s like $2500 in annual tire cost).

The LR plus acceleration boost still is stupidly fast, and ore directly suits our needs. It sounds like your needs for this car are a bit less functional than ours, and you wouldn’t be happy settling for anything less than the P. Get the P

Note the range difference between LR AWD and P is all or mostly from the stock wheels+tires. If I recall correctly the "stealth" Performance was rated for exactly the same range as LR AWD, when optioned with the same wheels+tires. (Someone with a stealth M3P please confirm/correct this!)

So if you put 18x8.5" wheels on a P (with PUP) and give it the same tires as an LR, you'll get very very very close efficiency/range in normal driving (when not using the P's extra power). Not 100% identical because the Tesla 18" aero wheels don't fit, you have to use different (aftermarket) wheels, but the efficiency difference should be minimal.

Oh, and if you drive fast on twisty roads then the P is more efficient, because it can regen stronger. ;)

In an attempt to balance the scale... the LR with acceleration boost is $6k cheaper and is almost the same car. Arguably with better wheels. Minus track mode software, which it sounds like you won't be using. Only a small fraction of a second difference in 0-60.

You could almost think of it this way:
  • It costs $2k to reduce the 0-60 by .5 seconds
  • It costs another $6k to reduce the 0-60 another .3 seconds
This makes the P a much worse value. If value matters to you, get the LR. If the dollars don't matter at all, go for P.

I couldn't regret either decision, it's not my personality... and either car is great.

Congrats on the new car!

Note the range difference between LR AWD and P is all or mostly from the stock wheels+tires. If I recall correctly the "stealth" Performance was rated for exactly the same range as LR AWD, when optioned with the same wheels+tires. (Someone with a stealth M3P please confirm/correct this!)

So if you put 18x8.5" wheels on a P (with PUP) and give it the same tires as an LR, you'll get very very very close efficiency/range in normal driving (when not using the P's extra power). Not 100% identical because the Tesla 18" aero wheels don't fit, you have to use different (aftermarket) wheels, but the efficiency difference should be minimal.

Oh, and if you drive fast on twisty roads then the P is more efficient, because it can regen stronger. ;)

If stealth was still available, I would had taken that over LR with accel boost.

I don’t feel like I’m missing much. The car already handles how I like it. Already fast. But the P on the other hand, has some terrific tires that really grip.

Reactions: Spuzzz
If you’re planning to take the car to the track, Performance, all day long. You’ll want track mode.

If not, LR. Take the extra $8k and buy yourself an incredible vacation to remember - a luxury hotel in Maui or something.

Most of the changes to the P aren’t really improvements IMO for street/daily driving.

20” wheels attract potholes. Suspension is the same. LR has better range. Brake pads are larger on P but that doesn’t stop you any faster - just reduces brake fade at the track since it can absorb more heat. Pairs well with track mode; doesn’t do squat for street driving. Shiny pedal covers are $9 on Amazon.

Just my $0.02 as a non-track person who really, really enjoys vacationing.

If you’re planning to take the car to the track, Performance, all day long. You’ll want track mode.

If not, LR. Take the extra $8k and buy yourself an incredible vacation to remember - a luxury hotel in Maui or something.

Most of the changes to the P aren’t really improvements IMO for street/daily driving.

20” wheels attract potholes. Suspension is the same. LR has better range. Brake pads are larger on P but that doesn’t stop you any faster - just reduces brake fade at the track since it can absorb more heat. Pairs well with track mode; doesn’t do squat for street driving. Shiny pedal covers are $9 on Amazon.

Just my $0.02 as a non-track person who really, really enjoys vacationing.

To be clear, I do not regret going with a P over an LR, but that being said, during these sorts of discussions, I think about the cost of an LR + Boost + aftermarket wheels vs. the P, and wonder if I would be 98% as happy.

Is that 2% worth <cost_difference>?

Maybe that's something to ponder while sipping a pina colada in Maui :D

Reactions: XPsionic
To be clear, I do not regret going with a P over an LR, but that being said, during these sorts of discussions, I think about the cost of an LR + Boost + aftermarket wheels vs. the P, and wonder if I would be 98% as happy.

Is that 2% worth <cost_difference>?

Maybe that's something to ponder while sipping a pina colada in Maui :D

Well, to that point ... Bought my Model 3 LR in April 2019. It's not a pina colada, but photo from our cruise through northern Europe in August that year. Skipped the Performance model, paid for that cruise and still had money in my pocket. Just sayin' ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_3502.jpeg
    IMG_3502.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 110
Here's another thing. I most wanted track mode for a little good natured tail out action when it snows. I was set to buy a P this time around but then all the talk of BBB was happening and the LR was under the 55k price cap for sedans. That price differential couldn't be ignored. Now here we are and BBB seems dead. Can't predict the future. Also at 46 I'm not realistically going to be doing that much snow drifting, just don't have the desire to go out expressly for that like I would have at 25.

If you question the price delta than money is an object. Heck that 8k could be put in the bank or used to invest, then use that when the EV Cayman comes. Now *that* car has promise to be a real track weapon.

I keep looking at it like this.

Long Range with 19s and acceleration boost = $56,490
Performance = $60,990

The difference is only $4,500. And I would still want the carbon spoiler, and to paint the brake calipers, etc. Then the cost differential is even smaller. With the performance, I dont need to change anything.... Plus I get track mode and a marginally better acceleration.

I keep looking at it like this.

Long Range with 19s and acceleration boost = $56,490
Performance = $60,990

The difference is only $4,500. And I would still want the carbon spoiler, and to paint the brake calipers, etc. Then the cost differential is even smaller. With the performance, I dont need to change anything.... Plus I get track mode and a marginally better acceleration.

Those numbers are skewed with options. There's an $8k difference between the LR and the P (plus sales tax). Acceleration Boost after purchase will bring the difference down to $6k.

1645033670431.png

Financial situation and value perspective is going to make this decision very personal. For me, it's a no brainer. The $6k towards a P feels like a total waste. That doesn't mean it *is*... I just don't value what it purchases. I'd take the $6k and third-wheel it to Maui with @dmurphy and his wife =P

Those numbers are skewed with options. There's an $8k difference between the LR and the P (plus sales tax). Acceleration Boost after purchase will bring the difference down to $6k.

View attachment 769835

Financial situation and value perspective is going to make this decision very personal. For me, it's a no brainer. The $6k towards a P feels like a total waste. That doesn't mean it *is*... I just don't value what it purchases. I'd take the $6k and third-wheel it to Maui with @dmurphy and his wife =P
Correct, I put options on the car. Blue exterior, white interior.

I feel like comparing a base car awd with 18s and a performance with 20s isn't a fair comparison. Plus we are all talking about the base car with performance boost vs a actual performance. That drops the difference to $6k right there. Plus wheels if that matters to you.

View attachment 769835

Right, least expensive vs. least expensive, the LR is $8K less. I think the more general conversation was about how much different in price if you close the gap equipment/performance wise - you know, make an LR more like a P.

Add 19" wheels and you're at $6500 difference. Add the performance boost and you're at $4500 difference. @Park2670 has the same perspective as me, if I bought an LR, I'd absolutely spend that extra $3500.

So I opted for the P ... and the trip :cool:

(Actually we don't do cruises, but you get the point :D)

Honestly, I think the P needs a little more P, like bump the performance a touch and give it a little more acceleration and/or air suspension, and/or more aero or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Park2670
Add 19" wheels and you're at $6500 difference. Add the performance boost and you're at $4500 difference. @Park2670 has the same perspective as me, if I bought an LR, I'd absolutely spend that extra $3500.
Thanks. Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this way. Another thought is I put sticky summer tires on my car after the factory all seasons wore out. Not sure if I could do that again, so I would need to put that in my budget if I went for the Long Range. Another $800 minus whatever I can sell the OEM tires for.

Right, least expensive vs. least expensive, the LR is $8K less. I think the more general conversation was about how much different in price if you close the gap equipment/performance wise - you know, make an LR more like a P.

So I opted for the P ... and the trip :cool:

(Actually we don't do cruises, but you get the point :D)

Honestly, I think the P needs a little more P, like bump the performance a touch and give it a little more acceleration and/or air suspension, and/or more aero or something.
This is where I ended up too. And reality is I probably would have eventually tried retrofitting the P brakes. Even if I did all that, I'd end up with a car slower than the performance and no track mode.

I do agree that I wish they gave the P a little bit more. Something akin to the M/AMG/RS treatment that the big 3 Germans do

Reactions: tm1v2 and Park2670
For what it's worth, I had a 2005 Cadillac CTS-V (same engine as your Z06) and now I have a Model 3 LR AWD with Acceleration boost. It's plenty fast, I don't need the heavier and less efficient wheels or the stiffer ride (if that's still true). A friend of mine had a Performance. Yeah it has track mode, but unless your track has a Tesla Supercharger (unlikely), it can only do so many laps. It's not really for serious track use. You can feel the difference in torque under about 50mph between the AWD+ and the P.

The biggest gap in performance though is between a standard range RWD and a plain old long range AWD. That's like a night and day difference.